Letterman retiring.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I liked Letterman's morning show. I liked his Late Night show up and until he lost of to Leno. Then he changed and went down hill and I haven't watched him since. He appears to be a bitter malcontent. I don't think anyone will miss him. I didn't even know he still had a show.

Otto tune

Reaction score
Most performers careers aren't as long as Letterman's goodbye!

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Letterman to me was the best in the 80's. Lost interest in the 90's with him. I'm one of those people who has NEVER thought that Jay Leno was funny at all. To me, Carson will always be my tv talk show host.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
There are people who are funny and people who tell jokes

dennis g

Reaction score
Well other than the occasional DVR'd episode, it's been a while since I watched late night TV.

That said, I always thought that Carson was the best, Letterman much better than Leno, but Dick Cavett was highly entertaining as well.

Dick Cavett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, as with all things, this too will pass and life will go on :laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I think Old-School Letterman was better than Carson. But, that Letterman disappeared a long, long time ago. Just to show what a nonevent this was, I saw a video, today, of Letterman's set (the bridge, etc.) getting shoved into a dumpster. They are running repeats of something called "The Mentalist" (whatever that is) in his time slot.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
I felt bad for Felicia Collins. That must have been a great gig. She's an awesome guitarist and really rocked Al Jarreau's "Mornin" with a great lead at the end. It use to be on youtube but for some reason it vanished a year ago or so.

sk8rat

Reaction score
Im gonna find the set and put it in my house :hmm: :laugh2:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGxs8jzcUo[/ame]

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the last show was a lighthearted thank-you to his fans and supporters. It didn't get overly sentimental and there were no silly surprise walk-ons.

:applause::applause:

Actinic

Reaction score
I'd rather surf the web late night than watch a show with commercials. That's the reality. MYLPF is more fun and topical.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I saw this for the first time, I'd never heard of Earle or this song before, but it blew me away. Watching it now for the first time since the original broadcast.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoysLSHNSo[/ame]

BACzero

Reaction score
I have never liked Letterman. I think he's a jerk to his guests, he's arrogant, outspokenly one-sided on the political front, he's a whiny crybaby, and simply not funny (just my personal opinion, of course... you're welcome to your own). I watched him a little in his early days, but just ended up wanting to send him hate mail, so I had to turn it off. Haven't seen or thought about him in years... won't miss him.

Mark C

Reaction score
I have never liked Letterman. I think he's a jerk to his guests, he's arrogant, outspokenly one-sided on the political front, he's a whiny crybaby, and simply not funny (just my personal opinion, of course... you're welcome to your own). I watched him a little in his early days, but just ended up wanting to send him hate mail, so I had to turn it off. Haven't seen or thought about him in years... won't miss him.

console.gif

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Letterman was quirky. Celebrities have said his shows are more difficult than the other late night talk shows. One of them said he was the king of 'More rope.' He saw the entertainment value of an interview that was getting strange. If a guest could not laugh at him/herself then they would not return.

In DL's mind, there were no bad interviews. He avoided boring interviews.

As I wrote in the OP, I'm not a DL fan and I haven't watched late night Talk shows for several years.