Let's talk NOS tubes

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
^ That's about 100V higher than any classic 50 I've ever worked on! Plate voltage on those is usually around 320v.

sonar

Reaction score
How about 'compensated for'? Or 'accounted for'. That's clearly what I meant.

Jackass.:laugh2:

You're telling me that engineers and designers don't account for characteristics of available parts?

If they don't they're idiots.
Name calling on the interwebz. Classy.

"Compensating" for a particular tube's tone characteristic is poor engineering. Say you designed an amp in the 90's and you based your preamp on the Chinese 12AX7 that was available 20 years ago. (I don't know the factory, but it was the tube that has a cult following for its gain structure.) Brian Setzer uses them. Guess what? That tube is no longer made nor readily available. Your preamp is now obsolete.

Amp builders understand that tube technology is fragile and availability of tube and tube quality varies greatly. They build for these variances. If not, they're...

I'll pass on name calling. My internet muscles are sore today.

madryan

Reaction score
Name calling on the interwebz. Classy.

"Compensating" for a particular tube's tone characteristic is poor engineering. Say you designed an amp in the 90's and you based your preamp on the Chinese 12AX7 that was available 20 years ago. (I don't know the factory, but it was the tube that has a cult following for its gain structure.) Brian Setzer uses them. Guess what? That tube is no longer made nor readily available. Your preamp is now obsolete.

Amp builders understand that tube technology is fragile and availability of tube and tube quality varies greatly. They build for these variances. If not, they're...

I'll pass on name calling. My internet muscles are sore today.
I think it's fair to say that designing an amp around the mechanical limitations of current production tubes is a common practice. It's also good engineering. What people don't usually understand, because they don't buy enough tubes nor test them in any sort of scientific way, is that tubes are a total crap shoot tonally. 10 or 50 or 100 different JJ preamp tubes will sound like 10 or 50 or 100 different tubes. Sure, there will be similar tonal characteristics but really, they'll all sound different.

If you're swapping tubes between the same amp your ears are going to change enough that your perception will skew the whole thing anyway. If you instead record the whole process you'll get a semi accurate (and I mean semi accurate) idea of what they all sound like but even the best recording techniques don't always pick up everything.

So when I'm doing an amp I just pick a collection of good reliable tubes and make sure the amp sounds good with all of them. I'm sure most people do the same.

Now tube type is going to net you much different results...

Niilopi

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I was hoping someone could help me identify some NOS RCA 6l6GC tubes. A guy i know has few of these for sale and doesnt have a price for them. He said he will throw in that RCA 5U4GB rectifier tube also.

So im wondering if these would be good tubes for my JTM45-> modded more to plexi territory.
And what would these be worth if they are worth buying?
They are not paired, and are used but in working condition.

Heres some pictures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dq4Nbr7Czzamu07jQ1P70G6qxat57KPQ

Latest Threads