Let's talk about the new chainsaw cases from gibson

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Anyone grabbed one of theses? I had been wanting a calton case but I just can't justify 1200 bucks. 250 for some good protection for my r9 Lester sounds about right.

Anyone using these with your reissue? Any foreseeable issues with headstock clearance or booty width? What about the toggle switch? I hate my lifton because of how the toggle switch pokes into the foam,but I need a case for gigs

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I guess I'll answer my own question haha

I got the case today. My r9 and my USA standard both had fitment issues with the case. The D string tuning peg was up against the wall of the headstock pocket and I didn't feel safe enough to keep it, so I sent it back to see if that one was just an anomaly, because it looked like Trogly had a good amount of room on each side in his review case. I am hoping the new one doesn't have fitment issues, but I might just get a USA case sent to me instead if the new one has fitment issues as well.

Other than that one glaring issue, it seemed like a nice case. I hope it works out for in the end. Gibson were cool about it and sent me a return slip without question, so I'm happy from a customer service standpoint.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn! I've seen used original ones going anywhere from $250 up to $400 for a pristine one.

$1,200? Seriously? WTH is Gibson thinking charging $1,200????

This better. Go here.
Gear | Reverb

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Damn! I've seen used original ones going anywhere from $250 up to $400 for a pristine one.

$1,200? Seriously? WTH is Gibson thinking charging $1,200????

This better. Go here.
Gear | Reverb
No, you're thinking about the calton cases. I am talking about the new deluxe protector cases for $250

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I never had a vintage protector case, so maybe there's a practical reason for it but I think they should have gone with the old-style handle.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
How much bigger is it? I'd be worried it wouldn't fit in my trunk for a gig.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I’ve got one of the new chainsaw cases and I think it’s great! I put my 53 goldtop in it
Can you post a picture of how your headstock fits in there?
How much bigger is it? I'd be worried it wouldn't fit in my trunk for a gig.
They aren't much bigger than normal USA cases. They are much thicker but not much wider and longer. They'll fit in a trunk no problem

Latest Threads