Let's See Your Top Carves!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
People sometimes wonder whether the recurve on these guitars dips down below the level of the binding. Certainly not all of the Historics do this, and it's been a hot topic around here at times by those complaining about the top carve not being vintage accurate. Here's a little experiment I did on my original finish '53/'57 conversion to show the actual dip in the recurve area:

Frank

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
People sometimes wonder whether the recurve on these guitars dips down below the level of the binding. Certainly not all of the Historics do this, and it's been a hot topic around here at times by those complaining about the top carve not being vintage accurate. Here's a little experiment I did on my original finish '53/'57 conversion to show the actual dip in the recurve area:

Frank
The top on my guitar was carved to match 9-1165. It dips well below the binding until you get closer to the butt of the guitar, where it pretty much flattens out.
The first time I picked it up I noticed how it dug into my arm more than other guitars I had played.
Not gonna do that water test though!
I didn't know it was a hot topic, thanks for the warning.
20190305_101340.jpg
20190305_101407.jpg

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited: