Let's See Your Jigs

BleedingGums

Reaction score
While certainly not as cool as some of the other jigs posted here, this is a little jig that I made to help with ripping thin strips on the table saw. The plans for this jig are from Woodsmith:

The oak strip goes into the miter slot on saw table and the wing nuts lock it into place. The top part of the jig slides side to side to allow cutting strips of various thickness. The bearing essentially allows the wood being cut to be fed smoothly into the blade while securing the thin strip from flapping around.

The bearing on mine is from a bottom bracket set that I sourced from a local cycle shop (it was in their miscellaneous parts bin & cost me ~$1.50). The adjusting knob is just a leg leveler since I did not want to drop $5 on a store bought clamping knob. The rails are just tempered hardboard I had laying around and the body parts are birch plywood.

I have the plans for this in pdf if anyone is interested.

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a BUMP for a thread that should never have been allowed to END!!

Jiggedy Jiggedy!!

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's my fretboard radiusing jig. It works much better than I thought it would, especially with a constant application of paste wax. And it fits perfectly inside one of my cabinet shelves for easy storage.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
This doesn't look like much but it's the most important fixture I have for guitar building.

It consists of two large aluminum plates stacked on top of each other.

The lower plate is bolted to the table of my vertical milling machine, and carefully aligned so that its center axis is exactly parallel to the table's center axis.

The upper plate mounts to the lower plate, with one end on a pivot point over the lower plate, into which a dowel pin is inserted. On the other end, there are three sets of holes drilled, and the holes in the lower plate are tapped.

They are positioned so that the upper plate can be set and bolted down in one of three positions: Centered, offset to the front, and offset to the rear.

Place a fingerboard on the fixture, secure it with double sided foam tape, offset top plate to the rear position, and it's ready to precision trim the front side of the board to a perfectly straight edge. Switch the fixture over to the front position, reposition the table, and cut a perfectly straight edge on the rear side of the board.

The result is a perfectly tapered fingerboard.

I use this for the neck as well as the fingerboard.

It's also used on the body itself, for cutting the neck mortise. The end result is a
neck that has exactly the same taper as the neck mortise. As long as I calculate my width offsets correctly, that is.

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite jig is a 1/8" thick Stainless Steel Headstock Template. It lays out headstock shape, truss rod access, tuner locations, and headstock inlay lines.

after with template

after without template

Cheers Peter.

kissTheApex

Reaction score
Mine has to be the router sled compound radius jig. It has endplates at different radii and lets you route a fretboard with 10" to 14" compound radius. I have different end plate plans for 10"-16", 9-12" compound boards but haven't felt the need to cut them yet.

Cocobolo dust on the floor!

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
This is a piece of junk!!

And we've all seen the one Stew Mc has for $50+.

I just finished this one up about 5 min. ago out of "stuff" I had laying around the shop. Cost? $0.00. The Dremel collar is glued in with epoxy.

I can't wait to try it out.:thumb:
I've got one in the works Ken & will post pics when I get it together, when I get a few long tapered end bolts & my Epoxy dries..
Great thread too!! Back From The Dead!! :D Oh Yeah!!
Keep em coming..

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
Well I knocked one together tonight & didn't have the right bolts in my stash, So I cut two pieces of thread all & tapped the bottom plate for now, also had to drill out some wing nuts & tap them to 5/16-18..
I used one of the lighted heads in my Dremel kit, I have two, plus the drill chuck attachments, I made my top portion longer & cut places for your thumb & first two fingers to grasp the mini router..
I'll get some tapered head bolts next trip to Home Depot/Ace, But for now it's pretty nice & blows away the junky one that came in the kit..
I really needed this a while back & was just gonna make one from a scrap of plywood
Thanks again TKOJams for the polycarbonate & the idea for this & my router table mount as well.. I owe you Man!!
Gary/Hk

fretman_2

Reaction score
This is my jig (template) for locating and routing the neck pocket on T style guitars. It fits neatly and snuggly in the pickup routes. It was created using my Shapeoko 2 CNC machine.

DanielDeGregoriis

Reaction score
All of these radiusing jigs are really nice!

Though I just use my nr.6 handplane, only takes me 15 min to thickness and radius a board (including the sanding) :D

(but I must admit, building a radiusing jig is something on my "jig"-list)

parkwood

Reaction score
Love this kind of threads)
Let me make my little contribution also. This is my binding slicer. Super simple and works great.

I use ABS furniture sidings - it is 10 times cheaper and easy to get for me, so the only question was how to cut it longwise.

The dowel is snug in the hole. You just have to push (or pull) plastic stripe and lower the cutter little by little. For the last cut i turn the stripe over.

parkwood

Reaction score
some more of my ghetto style jigs

binding laminator (i guess i've stolen the idea somewhere)

advanced binding scraper - 'birdy'

Fret Beveling jig which gives like 20 deg angle and saves playing surface of the fret

Dremel jigs

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
Finally getting around to making the Dremel Router Jig & also made my table saw insert into a zero clearance, by putting a piece of maple underneath & a small strip of perfectly fit clear plexi to fill in the gap & screwed down with micro brass screws..
It's the best way I could come up with as this is a older Craftsman..
Also painted it orange with some poly to brighten it up & drilled a 7/8" hole in it to help get it out.... It's Purdy..
The router jig will be finished in a while, Gonna make a small table saw sled from some scraps & extend the end of my saws work area too..
Cleaning the shop today, putting tools away & sweeping up.. :thumb:

Frogfur

Reaction score
Love this stuff. Unfortunately all my jigs were for gun work.

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
I have made several Gun Jigs!!

The handle HEADKNOCKER wasn't because I love Foreigner..
It came from when I was posting everyday on the S&W Forum..
"Might show you his Smith and Wesson"

Got the mount done for the Dremel & the Epoxy has dried 48 hours now..

Thinking about making a small sled for my table saw so I can cut slivers like .060" to slice small pieces on the saw from the right instead of the left with the rip fence..

Here's a 30 degree fret end bevel file I made up

Sharp fret ends on this Parker Fly are No More

Frogfur

Reaction score
I need to wake up.. i first thought you said show me your jugs..

Latest Threads