Let's See Your Jigs

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I already posted this, but I may have forgotten! I have a friend who has a metal shop and laser cuts 1/8" stainless. I asked him to quote me on this template for inlay work. He said $30, and I said YEAH! So here it is. I haven't used it yet but should work pretty well.

Cheers Peter.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, Peter, that's awesome! That would be perfect for use on a pin router! Can he do custom orders?

Frank

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep - these are custom orders - they are small enough he just tacks them on to a larger job and charges me a small amount. This one was $30 and the headstock one he said is around $40.

Cheers Peter.

Frails

Reaction score
You guys should organize a drop box fund to have some of these jigs made out of 6061-T6 alum. I'd be happy to model them up and dimension them out in Pro-E or SolidWorks once you can all agree on a design. I don't build guitars but was a Mechanical Engineer in my former life. So I can assist on facilitating the designs into a more production state....fine tune the design, proper pinning techniques, tolerances and such. Getting them fabricated would be a breeze.

j.six

Reaction score
yep - these are custom orders - they are small enough he just tacks them on to a larger job and charges me a small amount. This one was $30 and the headstock one he said is around $40.

Cheers Peter.
That's pretty neat indeed. Do you use it with a pin router, or are they oversized enough to use with a bearing/bushing setup?

Sully

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used it yet, actually. It kind of snuck up on my. I sent it to the guy to get a quote and then needed to make a decision quick whether to have it cut for the price. It is the exact size of the inlays. I have a dremel with a drill press attachment and expect to use a 1/8" carbide bit. It should work OK. If I had more time I would have oversized the outline to use a 1/8" shaft but a smaller cutting head. I am looking at getting one cut for the rectangular custom inlays as well so will test out to see the exact offset for the smaller bit.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
frails - yeah that is a good idea. It would be much lighter than the 1/8" stainless. I work for an architect so I do a fair amount of drafting and developed all the drawings for all of my templates. It is a great way to figure stuff out. I frankly don't know how anybody builds a guitar from just buying the Stew Mac drawing and to a lesser extent the Bartlett Plans. The Bartlett Plans are very good but I did a lot of work in addition to them to figure out almost every cut. It is better to learn on the computer screen than on the router with a $100 piece of maple.:)

Cheers Peter.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
My headstock angle jig for table saw. looks crude and actually is crude, but works very nicely.

my fretboard glue up I-Beam.... its been milled flat on both sides to within .030 across the total of 7 feet. plus it is mounted in such a way that it can be rolled over to glue 4 necks on each side.

my top carveing jig.

my method of carveing .. nearly everything! necks, bodies, belly and arm scarfs.

fine tuning my carves..

obvioulsy I use Normal templates and such..but in reality.. pretty much the rest of it was by hand and eye.

dazzypig

Reaction score
I've saved this thread to my bookmarks, so many great ideas here.

I've just found some small workshop space and I think I'm going to build that free-standing fretboard radius jig posted at the top of the thread, that seems like a brilliant idea!

Do you think there's any way to include slotting on the same jig?

EagleOnyx

Reaction score
I wish I had some jigs man! I really want to make an overarm router jig. that would be the shizzle.

Claymore

Reaction score
I have a few:
Fretboard Radius Jig:

Saddle Locator:

Binding Jig:

Troji guitar vice:

TKOjams

Reaction score
I just finished up this cool little bridge jig.
I always have troubel getting the bridge posts perfectly centered so the bridge floats smoothly up and down the posts, but no more.:thumb:

I drilled a hole through the center of the post screws and out the top.

They're not centered perfectly at the top, but they are at the bottom where it counts.

I string up the guitar after the fret leveling using a trapese style tailpiece.
Slide the bridge around were it needs to be, set the intonation then place two nails in the holes and tap with a small hamer to mark the location.

After drilling the holes and screwing in the posts, the bridge just falls onto the posts without binding at all.

Perfect post placement.:applause: Something up until now I had yet to achieve.:thumb:

Latest Threads