Let's see your before and after pictures of your sun faded Les Paul's.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I own a 2016 Les Paul Traditional Plain Top in light burst. I purchased the guitar brand new, back in March of 2016. Love the guitar, no qualms about it. Lately though I've been thinking about stripping the top and refinishing it in lemon burst. Because my time is limited, before I go that route, I thought I would ask on here. Have any of you guys who own newer LP's, successfully pulled off, fading your guitar in direct sunlight, or in a tanning booth? If you have, can I see your before and after pic's please, and do you have any advice?

Brek

Reaction score
I let my R0 sit in the sun when ever I remember, I do not like the amount of red it has, but it’s showing no signs of fading, that’s northern England for ya. My R8 looks genuinely old, even though it’s not aged, when it’s on its stand it has their vibe of looking played and worn without trying. Lemon fades are the best, followed by iced tea fade.

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
I don’t think your USA LP is likely to fade much. Is it one of the light bursts that looks a little peach/orangey around the edges?

If you really want a lemon, I think you would just have to have it refinished.

integra evan

Reaction score
It's much tougher to fade a modern LP in the sun, as there is a good amount of UV protection qualities in the finish. Can it be done, sure, but it'll take lots of time in direct sunlight (ie outside because most windows have UV protection built in the glass as well) or a UV lamp(s) pointing directly at it.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Alright fellas, just wanted to give an update on this thread I started. Last Wednesday before I started this thread, I stuck my LP outside in the sun for 4hrs Wednesday, about 6hrs Thursday, and another 4hrs in Friday. Yesterday, I took her to a tanning salon, and and stuck her in a booth for two 20min sessions. This morning, I removed the poker chip, and pickguard, and to my suprise, found out the fading is working. I took some pictures to share, but it will not let me upload them. I bought an unlimited 30 day pass for the tanning salon for $25. I will be hitting them up, and I'll report back in 30 days with the results.

jbyrd78

Reaction score
I let my R0 sit in the sun when ever I remember, I do not like the amount of red it has, but it’s showing no signs of fading, that’s northern England for ya. My R8 looks genuinely old, even though it’s not aged, when it’s on its stand it has their vibe of looking played and worn without trying. Lemon fades are the best, followed by iced tea fade.
Love me some Lemon burst!

Brek

Reaction score
Tbh I have to admit the same thought had crossed my mind. I want a tea faded as the paint quality on mine is either really poor or it was just the wrong colour to shoot on that top. As the flame at the edges looks like a line had been sprayed across it. (It hasn’t just looks that way).

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright fellas, just wanted to give an update on this thread I started. Last Wednesday before I started this thread, I stuck my LP outside in the sun for 4hrs Wednesday, about 6hrs Thursday, and another 4hrs in Friday. Yesterday, I took her to a tanning salon, and and stuck her in a booth for two 20min sessions. This morning, I removed the poker chip, and pickguard, and to my suprise, found out the fading is working. I took some pictures to share, but it will not let me upload them. I bought an unlimited 30 day pass for the tanning salon for $25. I will be hitting them up, and I'll report back in 30 days with the results.
BAD ASS!!!!

I love the tanning salon bit. Bravo

I'm actually the opposite. I hate the thought of my Lesters fading (esp my R9)

jbyrd78

Reaction score
Tbh I have to admit the same thought had crossed my mind. I want a tea faded as the paint quality on mine is either really poor or it was just the wrong colour to shoot on that top. As the flame at the edges looks like a line had been sprayed across it. (It hasn’t just looks that way).
Hopefully I'm able to achieve close to what I'm wanting within this 30 day window

Latest Threads