Lets get something straight,the Marshall class 5 ROCKS!!!!

Standard 64

Reaction score
Their is not a amp in the world that you can post that everybody will agree on.I have seen people trash Dumbles,Bogners,Marshalls,Fenders,you name it and the Marshall class 5.You have your opinion,and everybody has theirs.If you go by lets say polling,the class 5 would score high on the rockin good time amp,and of course their are the naysayers,brainwashers,and people that dont know how to squeeze a amp and guitar:wave:(that truly is the secret)If your going by videos,then dont judge the amp,its waaaay better in person.If you want smooooth creamy distortion,then buy a Dumble clone.If you have played it or owned it and didnt like it,then its not your cup of tea,go have some coffee.People come over and play mine and say,wow,great tones,their going to sell a ton of these.The only mods would be tubes and a nice rocking cabinet.So pull out your LP,hook it straight up to your class 5 and get experienced...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hmm.. I played the Class 5 and just did not like it much. I need something that does not break up to soon and I think the Class 5 does break up too soon for my taste. Your right about everyone having a different choice of what sounds good to there ears and you really need to play well as well as know how to get the sound out of the amp. I know people that sound awesome through any amp they play. Guess what! That person has said many times that an amp does not sound very good, but to me after they played on it, it sounded totally awesome. But to him, not so good!

I really know for a fact that the tone is all in the ears of the beholder, and it amazing that evern when we get that tone, we still search for something better. Why is that? We always want the tone we can't/don't have, or the tone we have once we find it, isn't good enough. Funny actually. The tone we can't/don't have is because it is not us playing, it is someone else playing. When you hear someone play that has found that harmonic balance between Player/Guitar/Amp, it is a wonderful thing to hear and I hope you have found it with your Class 5. Make sure you post a couple clips, so we can hear that sound/tone you love and share it with us.

But... I do know that I don't like the Marshall Class 5 very much, but that's just me. I would rather have the new improved Blackstar HT-5R, with a 12" speaker and improved gain. But... is it really what I would want after I have it and have played it for a while.... Who knows!

Standard 64

Reaction score
The class 5 is only a 5 watt amp,so "breaking up to soon" is a fact with this amp.The blackstar I would say is a totally different kind of amp(op amps,higher gain,more modern metal type amp,etc,),that would be why you dont care for the class 5,which is more a "old school"type amp.Some people around here are builders,so the wine cork sniffery shows when they tell the average Joe to spend their money as THEY see fit.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Some people around here are builders,so the wine cork sniffery shows when they tell the average Joe to spend their money as THEY see fit.
:rolleyes:

Just because the Class 5 is good for you, doesn't mean it is for others.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
Look, you have some animus against me. I don't understand.

The Class 5 is a piss-poor design. It sounds bad. Anyone who can read a schematic looks at the Class 5 and asks "WTF were they smoking?" The reason I don't like it is not because I think you should have to pay more money for an amp. The reason I don't like it is because it could so easily have sounded better for the same price. Marshall is taking advantage of you guys, almost as if they are gambling "the schmucks won't know any better."

Well...

The class 5 is only a 5 watt amp,so "breaking up to soon" is a fact with this amp.The blackstar I would say is a totally different kind of amp(op amps,higher gain,more modern metal type amp,etc,),that would be why you dont care for the class 5,which is more a "old school"type amp.Some people around here are builders,so the wine cork sniffery shows when they tell the average Joe to spend their money as THEY see fit.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
I hate to disagree, and everyone has an opinion.

But I played a Class 5, and it was nothing but Mud. I played it through various guitars from a SG loaded with P90's, a LP, and a Strat, and I still only got mud. There is a difference between dark tone and mud. Maybe it was the tubes, who knows.

I've saw KILLER tones on youtube of these things, so I don't know what the issue was. I can usually get some good tones out of any amp... :hmm:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying, I have the most untrained ear of anyone I know. That said, could it be that people who like the Class 5 just don't know any better, and therefore it is good enough for them? Whereas people who have more discerning tastes, and have played on more refined (more expensive?) equipment, can tell the difference. Nevermind people who build and who know for a fact that the amp isn't made well, we're just talking about the sound now.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
It's not about my liking or not liking the sound. I don't like the sound of a Mesa Rectifier series amp, but it's well made and does what the users want and does it well.

The Mesa has a correct input impedance (almost all amps do, this is just incredibly basic stuff), the bass knob doesn't go from off to mud in a fraction of a turn, and it doesn't shelve all the lows because it expects to be run into a low quality 10" speaker.

Regardless of my subjective dislike for a Mesa Rectifier, objectively I can say it's a high quality well made amp.

Now, I love Marshalls. I know Marshalls like few people on the planet do. I know why each part of the circuit corresponds to qualities I love in an amp.

And I know that these qualities are either not present or are incorrectly implemented in the Class 5.

Seriously, change the 470k input resistor to a 1M. Change the .047uf coupling cap in the tone stack to a .022uf. Put a 220pf cap across R7. Change the .0022uf caps on the plates of V2 to .022uf caps. Rotate the OT 90 degrees. Voila, a good sounding Marshall! Wouldn't have cost Marshall a dime to get the amp right in the first place.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't extolling the virtues of the Class 5, I was more coming up with an explanation of why people might not see eye to eye on the subject. I don't own any real amp since I got rid of my Blues Junior, just making conversation and hoping not to lose another resource we have for serious amp questions.

Lowdown

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying, I have the most untrained ear of anyone I know. That said, could it be that people who like the Class 5 just don't know any better, and therefore it is good enough for them? Whereas people who have more discerning tastes, and have played on more refined (more expensive?) equipment, can tell the difference. Nevermind people who build and who know for a fact that the amp isn't made well, we're just talking about the sound now.
Look. I've been playing for 30+ yrs and have owned/played all the usual suspect classics(Champ/Twin Reverb/Plexi etc. etc.).
But the C5,regardless of what those who have & haven't had the luxury of playing thru a dimed AC30 or even a "boutique" (hate that term with a passion) amp for that matter,is a great little 5watt amp to pull out for jams,practice,recording.
IT IS WHAT IT IS - a 5 watt budget amp with the prestigious Marshall badge that gives it just a nudge in the coolness stakes :laugh2:

C'mon fellas. Seriously. I have never seen any amp create such hysteria and venom in people before.

If you like it-GREAT! I do.
If ya don't-fair enuff. But it's still selling and it's still loved by many.

Have a good day :thumb:

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours with my MK1.2 C5 combo today. It sounded great. It a a great little amp.

onioner

Reaction score
C'mon fellas. Seriously. I have never seen any amp create such hysteria and venom in people before.
The issue, for me at least, is that of all the amps that I don't really care about that are for sale in the big box shops, at least among the many I've tried, the Class 5 is the one I've hated the most. To my ears, and my hands, it's a truly awful amp, and I like what it purports to do. That's where my venom comes from. Not that I care if someone likes one. I do tend to roll my eyes when I hear them praised, but whatever floats your boat. Just sayin'. It aint like most amps that I don't like for one reason or another. It just inspires a strong reaction, in my case disgust.

But, for real, if someone loves it, and it helps them play what they wanna play, then that's great.

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
Now, I love Marshalls. I know Marshalls like few people on the planet do. I know why each part of the circuit corresponds to qualities I love in an amp.

And I know that these qualities are either not present or are incorrectly implemented in the Class 5.

Seriously, change the 470k input resistor to a 1M. Change the .047uf coupling cap in the tone stack to a .022uf. Put a 220pf cap across R7. Change the .0022uf caps on the plates of V2 to .022uf caps. Rotate the OT 90 degrees. Voila, a good sounding Marshall! Wouldn't have cost Marshall a dime to get the amp right in the first place.

Can you help out a layman(sp?) here please ?

The above modes that you emntioned . . . how would it "improve" the current Class5's tone ?
What i am trying to find out is, how will it differ from the stock Class5 ?

Many thanx
;)

rocknhorse1

Reaction score

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
It's not about my liking or not liking the sound. I don't like the sound of a Mesa Rectifier series amp, but it's well made and does what the users want and does it well.

The Mesa has a correct input impedance (almost all amps do, this is just incredibly basic stuff), the bass knob doesn't go from off to mud in a fraction of a turn, and it doesn't shelve all the lows because it expects to be run into a low quality 10" speaker.

Regardless of my subjective dislike for a Mesa Rectifier, objectively I can say it's a high quality well made amp.

Maybe that is exactly why I got nothing but mud from this amp. Bass knobs are supposed to add or take away low frequencies, not add mud...

drpietrzak

Reaction score
Look, you have some animus against me. I don't understand.

The Class 5 is a piss-poor design. It sounds bad. Anyone who can read a schematic looks at the Class 5 and asks "WTF were they smoking?" The reason I don't like it is not because I think you should have to pay more money for an amp. The reason I don't like it is because it could so easily have sounded better for the same price. Marshall is taking advantage of you guys, almost as if they are gambling "the schmucks won't know any better."

Well...
I have to say that I have several PTP amps and have own others. Some very well designed, some not so much. In the end while you do not like this one - and that is cool - I do. I rarely go into a thread and tell people that what they like is stupid and that they were ripped off. I would tell them I do not like it and perhaps did not like the design. This does not come off the same. I can see someone's reacting less than positively to posts like this myself.

drpietrzak

Reaction score
The thing is tone is personal not universal. When a group of people agree there is a sense of group agreement but not an objective fact as it is still subjective. I have PTP hand build amps, and have owned others. This amp sounds pretty good to me as a dual bucker player. I do not care what it sounds like with strats or teles for the most part (the initial criticisms in the linked thread was about single coil use). I do not tell people they play strats so it is the instruments fault not the amp. People should be able to like what they like without being indirectly insulted for the choice.

Latest Threads