Let's blow up another rocket. SN10 planned for test flight today.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled by the landing, and the boom was gravy! SN11 is pretty much ready to go.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled by the landing, and the boom was gravy! SN11 is pretty much ready to go.
I seriously think the RSO hit the destruct button.
With the angle it settled in to, and unknown damage potentially caused by the fire that continued to burn, it may have been deemed unsafe to approach for "safeing" and salvage. Better to pull the destruct handle and convert it to a 100% salvage operation.

Olds442

Reaction score
i re-watched the landing a few times, it definitely bounced a little on landing. could have just been damaged and blew up.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I didn't see any 'blowing up' on that video - what did I miss??

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fire was going before it landed. Marcus has some better views. Go to 8:45:00. It's a 9 hour video.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seriously think the RSO hit the destruct button.
With the angle it settled in to, and unknown damage potentially caused by the fire that continued to burn, it may have been deemed unsafe to approach for "safeing" and salvage. Better to pull the destruct handle and convert it to a 100% salvage operation.
Im thinking there was supposed to be a venting of remaining fuel. To safety the rocket. There were flames that lasted longer than I thought should...

The venting didn't happen and the fuel cooked off somehow...

speculating again..

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Everyday Astronaut... 8 minutes after landing it asploded.

Or this one if you don't want to see the full flight:

Are we sure the clip that opens this video isn't CGI? It sure looks like it.....Thanks for the BOOM footage :)

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking there was supposed to be a venting of remaining fuel. To safety the rocket. There were flames that lasted longer than I thought should...

The venting didn't happen and the fuel cooked off somehow...

speculating again..
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't vent with the fire going. The Marcus video I posted above has a MUCH better view. The nose wrinkling as the explosion happened shows the forces involved.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we sure the clip that opens this video isn't CGI? It sure looks like it.....Thanks for the BOOM footage :)
A lot of stabilized 4k footage looks CGI
SpaceX has drones in the air as well as some very good glass on their cameras.
Remember this is a methane-fueled rocket... not the type of exhaust we're used to seeing from hypergolics or RP1.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of stabilized 4k footage looks CGI
SpaceX has drones in the air as well as some very good glass on their cameras.
Remember this is a methane-fueled rocket... not the type of exhaust we're used to seeing from hypergolics or RP1.
And it's full-flow staged combustion. First of its kind to fly. Many have tried, SpaceX was first...and currently only. While other companies are building better versions of what we've had for years, SpaceX is changing the way we do space.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it's full-flow staged combustion. First of its kind to fly. Many have tried, SpaceX was first...and currently only. While other companies are building better versions of what we've had for years, SpaceX is changing the way we do space.
Weren't the Soviet engines full flow?
Shame that engineering was lost... and on the other end of the spectrum, our F1.
They couldn't build 'em big and keep 'em stable, so they just built a shitload of little ones that were super efficient.

We couldn't build 'em efficient, so we just used the F-4 Phantom philosophy.... shove enough fuel into a big enough chamber and you can launch Mt Everest.

Howard2k

Reaction score
That’s amazing. And the risk to human life is far less now than it was 20 years ago too. It’s a shame it didn’t survive the trip but as they said, they got what they wanted (data on the approach and landing) so it’s still a good result and nobody was hurt.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
If it survived it wouldn’t get as many views. It was pretty cool seeing that beast land but the explosion will bring more eyeballs.

Latest Threads