Let me pick some brains on PAF quagmire....

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you had a pristine set, but they were out of phase, would you pop the cover and flip the magnet, or just live with it?

boogieongtr

Reaction score
I'd cut the solder, take off the cover flip magnet resolder cover. I've had to do it a couple times. Not easy but if done correctly it's hard to tell the cover was ever off. When I go to guitar shows I always take the polarity magnet tool from Stew Mac to check if magnet polarity is correct..

filtersweep

Reaction score
How iften does anyone honestly use the middle position? I’m at ‘never.’ Not with humbuckers.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Add a push/pull to reverse phase. you may never need it, but when you do, it's there!

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Add a push/pull to reverse phase. you may never need it, but when you do, it's there!
Phase switching is problematic with 2 conductor braided wire. The signal ground and the chassis/cover ground are both carried on the braided shield, so when you flip the switch the chassis, pole pieces, and cover are all connected to hot instead of ground.

Noise will increase. And if the grounded strings ever touch the cover/poles, it'll short out the signal. (Some playing styles and pickup heights cause contact more often than people notice -- it might never happen to you, but it does happen to some people.)
-------------------------
And, a lot of people hear a difference between reverse electrical polarity vs reversed magnetic polarity.

They sound the same to me (or at least so similar that I don't care, so I prefer electrical so I can have normal or OOP).

But I've never tried both approaches on the same guitar. I've had guitars with switches, and on a guitar with 2 conductor wiring I flipped the magnet. Didn't hear anything magical by flipping the magnet, but I can't declare 100% that there's absolutely no difference.

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I always liked the magnet flip because it seemed more tactile for some reason. Kind of like a good solid state amp vs a tube amp. The solid state amp has the volume and oomph but the tube amp has that additional, intangible responsiveness.

I could be just hearing things but I’ve tried it both ways and as much as it’s a pain to ALWAYS have the middle position OOP, I think I’d prefer it if I could have a magnet flip vs. a switch.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
OOP is where the magic is. I'll always have a Les Paul specifically set up for that sound. Greenie is my favorite sounding Les Paul though so I get that it's a personal preference thing. Not everyone likes the middle position wackiness.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Some extra questions... How in love with each of them in specific are you? Have you tried other misc pickups with them or used a polarity tester to identify which one is the "wrong"one? Do you think you'd be just as happy selling off the culprit and taking your chances buying another?

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some extra questions... How in love with each of them in specific are you? Have you tried other misc pickups with them or used a polarity tester to identify which one is the "wrong"one? Do you think you'd be just as happy selling off the culprit and taking your chances buying another?
I need to get a polarity tester.

I dunno which is the culprit.

Latest Threads