Leslie simulation

redking

Reaction score
It's a question that has plagued mankind for decades - how to authentically recreate the sound of a leslie cabinet! LOL. I know there are a bunch of pedals out there that emulate a Leslie both with analog and digital circuits - so it got me thinking, could you use the a wet-dry-wet scenario to get you really close by sending a slow chorusing sound to one wet amp, and then a faster chorusing sound to another wet amp, and keep your dry signal up the middle? Maybe even use a couple of smaller solid state amps to drive the wet cabs when you turn the effect on? What do you guys think?

angeldeville

Reaction score
I think I have a Marshall branded pedal that is supposed to emulate a leslie, I'm not sure I ever used it.

Dilver

Reaction score
I’ve tried a few Leslie simulator pedals. The one I liked the best was the Neo Mini Vent II. The larger full sized Vents have more adjustability, but the cost and the size are too much for my needs. I use it for my Hammond, guitar and bass and it sounds great with all of them.

The scenario you’re describing won’t get that swirl and you won’t get the speed “ramping up and back down” effect which makes a Leslie sound so unique.

jlee

Reaction score
Using a good Leslie sim pedal in stereo would be a much simpler set up and would probably sound more authentic.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NuX Roctary is awesome. I highly recommend it given its feature set and price point.

Hamtone

Reaction score
AX8 has an excellent rotary sim, very authentic.

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wampler Terraform has a rotary effect. It has a stereo mode for it and other effects on the pedal.

Wampler_Terraform_left_809362-d698f5f1d0235d5c7333e5cd26a5d430.jpg

redking

Reaction score
Yep, there are lots of pedals that emulate it, but I haven't heard one that knocked my socks off yet. I think stereo, as it has been mentioned is likely a big part of it.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yep, there are lots of pedals that emulate it, but I haven't heard one that knocked my socks off yet. I think stereo, as it has been mentioned is likely a big part of it.

That's because in real life when you hear it, the doppler effect is heard in stereo.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched quite a while and was not prepared to spend the dough on the Vent series or the Strymon Lex. I briefly contemplated the Boss Rotary Ensemble but that was more a chorus than a Rotary effect.

The NuX Roctary has a few things going for it. It has a blend control for light swirl, Gilmour style. This was really the reason I bought this. It adds a barely there but noticeable swirl that, in tandem with my EHX Good Vibes and Script Phase 90, really made songs like Breathe and Shine on You Crazy Diamond come alive.

It also does the more swirly Us and Them thing as well.

It also has up and down octave generation. It has a drive control as well and the two together allow you to imitate everything from funky B3 lines to all out Jon Lord slaughtering a Hammond through a Marshall Stack.

It also has a Bass-Horn balance control, a secondary function for the acceleration from slow to fast, stereo outs and a secondary Leslie Simulation function when in stereo.

redking

Reaction score
Maybe I should just grab one of these babies and go Wet - Dry - Wet :jam:

1630429259796.png

redking

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Gigrig Wetter Boxes to configure some sort of Wet/Dry or Wet/Dry/Wet rig. I'm going to use one to mix drive tones together in parallel, and the other to mix "wobbly" effects in parallel. This might get crazy - lol. I see the Strymon Lex has stereo outputs that one output can be the drum and the other could be the horn - I think this could be cool in a wet/dry/wet scenario. I don't really like crystal clean Leslie sounds - my preference is the tone they got for the Leslie on Black Hole Sun, so this would be a cool way to combine a bit of dirt and Leslie together.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Gigrig Wetter Boxes to configure some sort of Wet/Dry or Wet/Dry/Wet rig. I'm going to use one to mix drive tones together in parallel, and the other to mix "wobbly" effects in parallel. This might get crazy - lol. I see the Strymon Lex has stereo outputs that one output can be the drum and the other could be the horn - I think this could be cool in a wet/dry/wet scenario. I don't really like crystal clean Leslie sounds - my preference is the tone they got for the Leslie on Black Hole Sun, so this would be a cool way to combine a bit of dirt and Leslie together.

What I found is many pedals that do more intense swirl but could not do the Gilmour thing, i.e. light swirl mixed down a bit. I went with the NuX Roctary because irt had a blend control, could still do more intense Leslie and Vibratone tones, but also could turn my guitar into a Hammond B3.

pillbug

Reaction score
I’ve tried several and the Neo Ventilator II is what I landed on as overall best. Best runner up / contender is the Pigtronix Rototron.

can’t comment on the wet/dry thing but others here will know…

Latest Threads