Les Pauls...you know?

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I own a gorgeous CS '58 that sounds amazing which I love very much,.....I still spend most of my time on an Epi or a Squier. (the Squier more than the others because it's usually just laying around. It's indestructible so it doesn't get cased like the LPs.)

My tastes are low brow, apparently. :laugh2:

Guitars are guitars. Either they work or they don't.

wildstage98

Reaction score
Amen Phil - A-freakin'-men.

Reminds me of when I was testing out my custom before buying in a store locally. some kid that worked there came over and asked if I wanted to play through his amp, although it was in to get some work done on it because he didn't love the sound of it and couldn't seem to get what he wanted, and had been tweaking it over and over.

he plugged me into his amp and started playing with all the knobs, so I just sat back until he was done. after he stopped, I went and dialed in the settings and started wailing away. his jaw was on the floor and kept going on and on about how great it sounded - I'm pretty sure he canceled the tweaks he wanted to his amp after I left.

now I totally understand tinkering and having fun, but by and large I find that much of the equipment out there already has the tools necessary to sound great, you just have to find it and dial in - rather than continuously swap out part after part. but hey - the reason why there's such a huge after-market is because it can be an awful lot of fun too exploring new sounds.

Howard2k

Reaction score
True! /\/\/\/\

I just ordered a Custom Shop LP now I'm ordering new pickups, new plastics, a wiring harness with PIO caps, new knobs, new tuners, a new bridge made out of my metal of choice, and I'm thinking about sending it to Historic Makeovers to have the fretboard and inlays replaced.

:shock:
:laugh2:

Haven't even held the guitar in person but yet,..everything must go! :laugh2:
HM on my Trad Pro? Yay or nay? Does it guarantee I'll be as good as Page?

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Some folks are fiddlers, and some are purists. Neither is wrong.

The purists are "hunters". They target what they want, and look hard to find the right guitar "out of the case". If their tastes change, they sell it on and get another.

Fiddlers are "gatherers" who buy a nice guitar, then enjoy making modifications and adjustments in search of a desired tone or sound. Sometimes they find it, sometimes they don't, so they move on to another. They enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I think I do both. For me, it's just a hobby.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Amen Phil - A-freakin'-men.

Reminds me of when I was testing out my custom before buying in a store locally. some kid that worked there came over and asked if I wanted to play through his amp, although it was in to get some work done on it because he didn't love the sound of it and couldn't seem to get what he wanted, and had been tweaking it over and over.

he plugged me into his amp and started playing with all the knobs, so I just sat back until he was done. after he stopped, I went and dialed in the settings and started wailing away. his jaw was on the floor and kept going on and on about how great it sounded - I'm pretty sure he canceled the tweaks he wanted to his amp after I left.

now I totally understand tinkering and having fun, but by and large I find that much of the equipment out there already has the tools necessary to sound great, you just have to find it and dial in - rather than continuously swap out part after part. but hey - the reason why there's such a huge after-market is because it can be an awful lot of fun too exploring new sounds.

:lol:....:applause:

Oh they are out there in their droves. You can usually find them lurking near the bar at gigs and they often to be seen regularly at jam nights.
You can spot one a mile off and you know they are going to home in on you the minute you step off stage.
Like one guy who pointed to my Strat and said " My friend had a Les Paul just like that except his is an original 1954 burst"......:hmm:..
Or the guy who walked up and said " You've changed your pickups in that haven't you.They've got slightly less top end than the set you had last time you were here?"
...:shock:..."No, I've just rolled the treble off slightly on my amp".....:laugh2:
The concept of actually altering the overall sound by daring to touch the volume and tone knobs on a guitar or amp is a totally alien concept to some people.

roeg

Reaction score
Love 'em or leave them.I googled up a friend,and found a shot of me playing my '87 blackie at a local club,about 4 yrs ago...you know,when you tweak it up right,and that IS the fun part,then its down to business and getting the best tone you can,twiddle away...exposed Zebras,primo PAF boutique wind,its all in the knobs and the fingers:laugh2:...

me on lespaul..jpg

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you play any one guitar too much your ears will get tired of it. I dislike hearing humbuckers constantly.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
If you play any one guitar too much your ears will get tired of it. I dislike hearing humbuckers constantly.
D, you are so right. Creamy mids don't slap the face hardenough-many times I want brittle.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
D, you are so right. Creamy mids don't slap the face hardenough-many times I want brittle.
The irony here is that while I appreciate a good tele, that brittle sends me scurrying right back to creamy. It just grates on my ears. I understand they're a tool however, but in the right hands.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
The irony here is that while I appreciate a good tele, that brittle sends me scurrying right back to creamy. It just grates on my ears. I understand they're a tool however, but in the right hands.
M, I like annoying people. Ice-picks to the eyes+ears+minds.....makes me smile. I can "nail" creamy 70's tone at will,many times I want to go to Andrian Belew+Dick Dale land.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
M, I like annoying people. Ice-picks to the eyes+ears+minds.....makes me smile. I can "nail" creamy 70's tone at will,many times I want to go to Andrian Belew+Dick Dale land.
Nothing wrong with a little Dick Dale now and again. :slash:

jc2000

Reaction score
slight cosmetic changes to mine, other than that... I like it just the way I got it.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you hand me a Fender the first thing I'll probably do is roll the tone off by 1/3rd. But I do that on most guitars, at least on the bridge pickup.

Latest Threads