Les Pauls you’ve SOLD? And why?

juanpuol

Reaction score
I bought my first Gibson Les Paul in 1992.
It was a 1986 black Standard.
Had “SECOND” stamped below the serial number on the headstock.

I’ve heard many stories and theories about why Gibson was doing this for a few years.
Including even marketing strategy.
I never found anything wrong with the guitar to warrant this less than ideal ranking.

Anyway, I bought it from a coworker who got it new. He wanted to be a rock ‘n’ roll star, and quickly became frustrated. It wound up in a closet.

I was just getting serious about playing.
I was more of a Strat guy.
Always liked the sounds out of a Les Paul, and I decided I wanted to do it myself.

I stripped the parts off the guitar, gave it a thorough cleaning, restrung it, and got it set up with the help of a couple of knowledgeable friends.

Once it was as good as it was going to get, I started exploring what sounds I can get out of it. That’s where the disappointment began.
The guitar was very different from everything else I had owned or played and I was having trouble getting used to the differences.
The volume and tone control layout is stupid.
(I maintain that to this day.)

Everyone kept telling me I needed to get a tube amp. I was never going to be happy trying to get Les Paul tones out of a little solid-state amp.
So I started looking at amplifiers.
I got sticker shock.
I remember at the time thinking that $600 was a stupid amount of money to pay for a good tube amp. That’s more than I paid for the guitar!

I found an eager buyer for the guitar, and let it go. I think I made a few bucks on it in the process, so I was happy to see it leave.

Fast forward a year or two, I found another black Les Paul.
Almost identical to the first.
A 93 standard.
Beautiful condition.
The price was right so I grabbed it.
I wasn’t going to give up on finding the “right” Les Paul.
I had enough people telling me that it was very possible that I needed to find the “right” Les Paul. The one that I connected with.
Once that happened, I would be a believer.

It turns out, that guitar had bad pots in it. The bridge volume would never shut all the way off. Both tone pots were almost useless.
It had never been touched.
They were all original parts.
Disappointment again.
I kept it for a few years, rarely played it, and then a big blowout divorce at the end of the 90s had me selling off all kinds of stuff.
Including that Les Paul.

So every time I was at a gig, or met anyone who played Les Pauls, I always got the same testimonials. They loved their Les Pauls. They would never part with them. I was having trouble seeing the vision.

After the divorce, I got serious about guitars and amplifiers. Being a single man, I could spend my money wherever the hell I wanted!
I bought my first tube amp.
I rolled the dice on a Fender Hot Rod Deville.
DAMN!!!

That was it.
I bought a 2000 Les Paul Classic Sunburst with a killer top. I put a set of Burstbucker Pros in it.
Never looked back.

Those first guitars needed some work, but there was really nothing serious wrong with them.
It was true. A single-coil guitar is one thing, but a humbucker has to have tubes.

Since then, I have bought countless amplifiers and Les Pauls.
That second Les Paul, the 93 Standard, I bought back from a friend of mine after it suffered some abuse. It received some paint and graphics work, a control kit from RS, locking Grovers, and is now my avatar guitar.
Love the Gadsden flag on it.
I don't have tube amps, mostly play with emulators due to a "not want my neighbors to hate me" situation. But I love my Trad 2019.
Saving for a Slash Goldtop now.
Anyways, cool story and cool guitar.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I had a Studio at the end of high school, I sold it for, IDK young dumb high schooler reasons? I think I bought an ugly import 7 string afterwards at that time *facepalm*

Then I had a gorgeous flamed white Sig T. Sold it because I was more interested in Teles at the time, and was hardly using it and wanted some extra cash. More dumb,

Currently have a 2018 standard and its the best of the bunch and never going anywhere

Lestergain

Reaction score
agree with OP... those early 90s were magical, I had countless CA, R9, CC etc etc in the end I sold em all and the only one left is my 92 Les Paul Custom, best Les Paul I ever had

vechap

Reaction score
OMG... Yeah, I don't even know what year the LP was. My mother gave it to me in January of 1971, after I got out of the military. I do know it was a LP Custom, Wine Red.

My wife and I were drinking a lot, too much, and I was selling stuff all the time to foot the bill. I pawned the guitar, and never retrieved it.

I have one 2018 Gibson LP Tribute, and two Epiphone LPs, but I could kick myself for selling that guitar, because it had to be at the latest a 1971, and because my mom gave it to me... So, so, stupid!!! :(

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Purchased my first Les Paul in the mid-1990's. Not sure what model it was but it was definitely an entry level LP. It had a plain walnut finish, black plastics, chrome or nickel hardware, no binding and dot inlays... Does that ring a bell to anyone? I remember purchasing it for around $699 i believe. Would love to get my hands on another one as I sold it due to the thickness of the neck. I wasn't very 'guitar cultured' back then so i saw the thicker neck as a weakness in playability.

CoolRene

Reaction score
A ‘69 Norlin I kept for 48 years. A great sounding guitar. The playability was not the best but, most of all, its weight (12 lbs) made me part with it. I now play a great 2012 R9 with CustomBuckers, a ’50s neck that fits my hand perfectly and a lightweight 8,26 lbs of solid mahogany. A great looking, awesome sounding Rock Machine ! :dude:

boombox

Reaction score
In Ohio, back in the 1970s we could find wild things in the classified ads, you know, like "old guitar with strings $50," which turned out to be my SG. Or the 1960 345 I got for $100.
When I was just out of school, a friend of a friend was selling a 58 Sunburst for $1500. Good deal, not a crazy low price at the time, but it seemed worth breaking the bank for. It was a plain top, completely faded to orange, with a very big neck. Somehow, I never bonded with it, never had those times when I would just lose myself and play for hours. So I sold it and bought a lot of studio equipment and kept playing my 345. Never regretted it. Later, I sold an Anniversary Black Beauty from the 70s that I swear weighed at least 13 pounds.
Nowadays I have an ebony R0 that I play for hours and hours. And I still have the SG.

mgdesigns

Reaction score
I've been both lucky and unlucky - I had the killer LP (Real 1959 Gold Top Standard - probably was a custom order gold over burst, according to Carter's Vintage) for about 10 years. From 1974 to 1983 - then it was stolen and never retrieved, and of course, uninsured.

Then I bought slightly used 2001 GT Std in late 2001. I never could bond with that guitar. The neck was bigger, and the sound not as complex as my original. I sold that a few years ago. Now I have my own created burst clone "Scrap Paul" while on that quest to remake the One That Got Away. It is closer to the original, but I am in process of making #2. From the errors and mistakes I made on Scrapper, I will hopefully have the guitar the is the keeper. Scrapper will go to my oldest son.

Balding Rocker

Reaction score
My first Gibson was also my last. It was a 2012 Faded Cherry LP Studio. Snagged it used for $450. It sounded okay, but I knew in my heart it wouldn't be the LP I take with me into "ever after." Bought it in Danvers, MA Guitar Center and ended up trading it, even trade, for a Japanese Mustang Bass, craigslist deal in Studio City, CA to a studio bass player who's always wanted a Les Paul, and the Mustang he only owned for fun, I guess.

I still have the Mustang, and within the first month I had already played it more than I had the Les Paul.

I was given an 2005 Epi LP Standard about 3 years ago, and it's finally in the shop for its first pro setup (since I've owned it) needing some fret work. I'm thinking of putting in some new pickups but damn all if I can't make up my mind about what ones. Might go Pearly Gates in the Bridge and a Slash in the Neck.

Last edited:

AccustomedtoStandards

Reaction score
My first Les Paul was a 1983 (dot neck) studio. I traded it for something, but for the life of me I cannot remember what as it was 35 years ago.

I traded my Rickenbacker 360/12 for this '53 in 1987:

53GT.jpg

I sold it to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS (great store if you ever have a chance to visit) 10 years later to pay for graduate school for more than 4x what I had paid for the Ric that I traded for it. I was sorry to let it go, but glad that I got to own it for a while and didn't want to take on any more school debt. It had amazing pickups, but as you know wasn't the most versatile player with the trapeze tailpiece.

Lon

Reaction score
I’m one of those guys that flips guitars and I always have been. That’s where my fun with guitars comes from much more so than playing them. I didn’t buy my first guitar till I was almost 40 I’m getting ready to retire from the military. After seven or eight guitars I had a friend who would like to buy diamonds at pawn shops and she knew to look for anything that said Gibson an Fender on it. She called me at work one day I said the pawnshop she was that had a Gibson marked at 800 but they had some kind of deal going to where she could get it for 400. I told her whatever it is get it, it’s got to be worth 400. This was 2002. Turns out it was a 1979 Les Paul Custom in wine red with the original case. I could only play about 3 chords at the time so I kept it for a couple of weeks and sold it to guitar center for 1200. I know I know. Since then I’ve been through probably 15 or so Les Pauls and as mentioned I sold them all but I currently have a 2014 Les Paul studio pro that I’m hoping to hang onto.

timgman

Reaction score
Way to many to list but here goes...

77 deluxe hb routed --I was poor
89 standard --I was poor
several late 90's classic -- Gas for better gear
2001 classic deluxe -- wanted full size humbuckers
2005 standard flame top -- I was STUPID

insert about 5-10 other classics / classic customs / traditionals --- GAS

an 03 R8 neck was to big
04 ebony custom -- I WAS DUMB
06 R7 -- wanted a r9 / r0

There are at least 40 or so overall... but these ones stand out....

Currently I have a 14 100th anniversary R0 that's pretty close to perfect. prob trade tward an R9 at some point

That's my only Les Paul at this time.

Greg Dunn

Reaction score
I've gone through around 30 Les Pauls since the mid 70's, some because I just didn't like them others because I wanted to get the money to buy a new guitar. There are only 2 I regret getting rid of my 76 Deluxe, it was my first serious electric I got it new and my R9 which I lost in divorce settlement. Other than that I haven't really had any that I was that attached too.

Funny the one guitar I have hung onto isn't a Gibson it's one of the MIJ Orvilles I've had for 24 years, doubt I will ever get rid of it just a great guitar and the one that I judge Gibson's against when I pick one up.

Db9091

Reaction score
I sold a 2012 red wine LP Traditional.
I had bought it used to see if it sounded the same as my 2012 sunburst. Wanted to see the "quality control" people said wasn't there. To see also if I liked red semi-translucent vs the sunburst I had.

What I discovered was: They felt EXACTLY the same. The work on them was identical (in terms of fret dressing and woodmanship) Recorded they sounded like twins. Hmmmm. AND... I realized I didn't like the matte wine color as much as the glossy sunburst.

So I sold it and got lucky, $100 more than I bought it for. (local market, buy & sell)

What I realized is that Gibson quality was "Back" and that one was as good as the others, so If I HAD to sell my current one for quick cash, I'd do so w/o regrets knowing I could grab another rather quickly with the same sound.

Since then I got an R4 lefty, which is not as grungy but almost and better in other respects (P90s and all, love 'em) and I could just sell this LP Trad Pro and not miss it too much. Thats the thing, you can always go up and better and just as nice sounding if not better sounding with hi-end LPs.

TooManyToyz

Reaction score
I'm a long time lurker here, but this thread compelled me to post. I truly couldn't tell you how many Les Pauls I've owned. (BTW my hometown is Waukesha WI, same as Les). I'm so old that I remember when you could walk into a music store any day of the week and buy a used LP for $300. So selling one because I needed the cash was no big deal, I could go and buy another any time I wanted. The exception to this was the Artisans that I have owned. I buy them because they are the best looking Les Paul Gibson ever made, and I forget how freakin' heavy they are.

Standard

Reaction score
Bought a used LP Special in highschool, had the p100s and a really square shouldered 60s neck, neither of which I particularly cared for so I never really bonded with it but it was fun to play occasionally. So I sold it to a friend and bought it back a few years later, because the memories of that guitar were better than the reality. Again, I didn't bond with it and traded it for a G&L, that I then traded for a Martin that I traded for a PRS. The PRS is going nowhere.

VidPro

Reaction score
I just sold my Norlin a couple of months ago on eBay. I bought her in my junior year at high school in the early 80's for $575 including the case. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. My pops (who passed away a few years ago) drove me and my buddy to a local shop. I skipped the first part of my school day but couldn't wait to get back to tell my friends I finally got a Les Paul. Why did I sell it after forty plus years? I guess I wanted a change to get me motivated again. I also originally wanted a cherry sunburst which I was told that this store had but when we got there they only had this guitar and
a wine colored LP. I was not going to go home without a Les Paul.

My 80's LP and my new motivation. I know it's not a cherry, but it's what I'd want a cherry to look like. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest Threads