Les Pauls you’ve SOLD? And why?

Leee

Reaction score
I bought my first Gibson Les Paul in 1992.
It was a 1986 black Standard.
Had “SECOND” stamped below the serial number on the headstock.

I’ve heard many stories and theories about why Gibson was doing this for a few years.
Including even marketing strategy.
I never found anything wrong with the guitar to warrant this less than ideal ranking.

Anyway, I bought it from a coworker who got it new. He wanted to be a rock ‘n’ roll star, and quickly became frustrated. It wound up in a closet.

I was just getting serious about playing.
I was more of a Strat guy.
Always liked the sounds out of a Les Paul, and I decided I wanted to do it myself.

I stripped the parts off the guitar, gave it a thorough cleaning, restrung it, and got it set up with the help of a couple of knowledgeable friends.

Once it was as good as it was going to get, I started exploring what sounds I can get out of it. That’s where the disappointment began.
The guitar was very different from everything else I had owned or played and I was having trouble getting used to the differences.
The volume and tone control layout is stupid.
(I maintain that to this day.)

Everyone kept telling me I needed to get a tube amp. I was never going to be happy trying to get Les Paul tones out of a little solid-state amp.
So I started looking at amplifiers.
I got sticker shock.
I remember at the time thinking that $600 was a stupid amount of money to pay for a good tube amp. That’s more than I paid for the guitar!

I found an eager buyer for the guitar, and let it go. I think I made a few bucks on it in the process, so I was happy to see it leave.

Fast forward a year or two, I found another black Les Paul.
Almost identical to the first.
A 93 standard.
Beautiful condition.
The price was right so I grabbed it.
I wasn’t going to give up on finding the “right” Les Paul.
I had enough people telling me that it was very possible that I needed to find the “right” Les Paul. The one that I connected with.
Once that happened, I would be a believer.

It turns out, that guitar had bad pots in it. The bridge volume would never shut all the way off. Both tone pots were almost useless.
It had never been touched.
They were all original parts.
Disappointment again.
I kept it for a few years, rarely played it, and then a big blowout divorce at the end of the 90s had me selling off all kinds of stuff.
Including that Les Paul.

So every time I was at a gig, or met anyone who played Les Pauls, I always got the same testimonials. They loved their Les Pauls. They would never part with them. I was having trouble seeing the vision.

After the divorce, I got serious about guitars and amplifiers. Being a single man, I could spend my money wherever the hell I wanted!
I bought my first tube amp.
I rolled the dice on a Fender Hot Rod Deville.
DAMN!!!

That was it.
I bought a 2000 Les Paul Classic Sunburst with a killer top. I put a set of Burstbucker Pros in it.
Never looked back.

Those first guitars needed some work, but there was really nothing serious wrong with them.
It was true. A single-coil guitar is one thing, but a humbucker has to have tubes.

Since then, I have bought countless amplifiers and Les Pauls.
That second Les Paul, the 93 Standard, I bought back from a friend of mine after it suffered some abuse. It received some paint and graphics work, a control kit from RS, locking Grovers, and is now my avatar guitar.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've sold 11 LPs in my life. Just about every time, it was to buy something else. The notable exception is actually the one I regret the most; a 2010 R9 I sold to pay medical bills. It was "the right thing to do," but damn do I miss that guitar.

The current owner says he will let me know if he ever decides to move on from it, so we'll see...

mdubya

Reaction score
I sold this 50's Tribute. It was a great, great guitar. But I needed to eat. If it had been a Goldtop, I might have gone hungry.

I am still looking to replace it. Right guitar at the right price. It will happen. Eventually.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
I sold only 1 Les Paul. My first one, a 97 custom.

my chance I came across the new owner years later and arranged a trade to get it back. I won’t ever sell it, or any LP again.

bum

Reaction score
When I was 17 I bought a Les Paul.
At the time, I did not know what it was really, just that the bands I liked played them, so that must be what I need.
So, I now know it was (and this if from memory from over 20 years ago so forgive any mistakes)
A plain top cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard.
It came in a machine gun case and was in perfect condition.
It had little peg winders that folded out of the nickel tulip tuners.
It had circuit boards on the back of the pickups which I now understand makes them Bill Lawrence pickups.

This was my second guitar and I couldn't believe how low the action was.
It cost me £800, and the reason I sold it was I was literally scared of the thing, I dreaded playing it, it was just too much for me and I knew it.

I did a straight swap for a Fender Jag at a music shop, and the guy at the counter said I shouldn't do it, but it was the right choice looking back. I'd love to own it now, but the Jag is still with me.

Fast forward 20 years and when my father passed away he left me £2000 separate to the rest of his estate.
I knew I didn't want to waste that money, and wanted to buy something my son could have one day.

Now, you need to know, I stopped playing guitar not long after I got the Jag 20 something years ago, and I figured, well, I'll use that money to buy my 2nd Les Paul ever and make a promise to Dad to play it properly, and learn it properly.

So now, I will always have that guitar.
Since picking it back up I have played gigs in front of thousands of people, met more people in the past 6 years than I have my whole life and made so many good memories.

6 years ago I made a promise to my Dad that I would learn to play 'properly' - and today, well, our new album is being mastered, we're booked in to play festivals and I've done gigs with people like Tower Of Power, Focus and loads more.

The Les Paul changed my life, and not in a wishy washy way, in a very real way.

Eagle 56

Reaction score
I'm an older player who played in a couple small bands here and there and mostly stuck with Strats. That "Les Paul mystique" always tugged at me, so after I became widowed in mid-2016 I started experimenting. I got a 2017 Satin Gold Tribute that I didn't realize I'd miss so much until I started swapping, buying, selling, etc. I had a 2012 LP Special P90 that was awesome, but after trying out several different LPs I realized I really liked the slim-taper neck. I went through a couple of studios that I just didn't bond with, but a couple weeks ago stumbled onto a brand-new 2016 Pelham Blue Studio from the demo (mod?) shop. It came with a nice brown hardshell case, so I rolled the dice and MAN am I happy with it. It looks beautiful and sounds great. I plan on keeping this one. Heck, I just went on Medicare so I'd better play the hell out of it while I still got the chops!
Blue Light.jpg

Last edited:

dancsgrv

Reaction score
I've only owned one Les Paul and I can't imagine selling it!

gball

Reaction score
Man, I've bought and sold so many guitars in my life I would honestly have a hard time recounting all of them. Just limiting to Les Pauls, let me think...
Got my first Les Paul in 1977, a brand new '77 Custom. I played that guitar until 1999 and as much as I loved it sold it cheap because it got messed up during a refret. Heartbreaking.
I then found another '77 but didn't keep it long because it was just not nearly as good as the first one, and I decided I wanted to go for a different feel, so
Sold it and got a Studio Lite, as well as a Doublecut Standard. The Studio was awesome but not so much the DC, so I traded that for another DC and it didn't take too long before I sold that off because it just wasn't for me.
The Studio lasted a while but I eventually fell in love with a HCS Standard and traded it for that along with a couple other non-Gibson guitars.
That was the one that got away. It was a '96 Plaintop and it was simply amazing but I foolishly traded it (straight up) for a 2000 Standard flametop. That experience made me dislike flametops believe it or not - the guitar was a total dog compared to the other one. Held onto it for a bit and then sold it and got a Traditional, which I still have along with the other Les Pauls that I have bought since then. 4 of them right now and going to be pulling the trigger on a Deluxe when they are in stock at my local pusher.

DaveSG

Reaction score
So this is like a confessional?

I've sold 3. First one I had was a 2007-ish Gibson Les Paul cherry sunburst GC DC. If you don't know what it is, check it out. Double cutaway, w/ a traditional LP lower bout, and a TV DC upper bout. Really cool guitar. Bought it on a whim, returned on a whim, almost within days. Could have kept it, but it was a righty and I'm a lefty. I bought it because I was immediately mesmerized by it...had to take it home w/ me. Alas, someone else ended up with a great and beautiful guitar. Still like them to this day, and you can find them at good prices.

Next was a '73 LP Custom. This one was a true lefty, and so I have zero good excuses. The neck was smaller, it was heavy, etc. etc. I was unschooled in Norlins, so I realize I probably should never have sold it, when I learned it weighed 9lb 15oz, a mere feather!

Last one sold was a '16 Les Paul Standard Faded that I had to get after I saw how good of a deal I could get on a new LP. Guitar came, and it was nice, but just didn't really do for me what a LP should do. Probably more me than the guitar, as I was still a 'LP novice'. Was a righty too, so didn't make a ton of sense. Had a lovely neck and then thin finish was so nice to hold.

Latest LP is a true lefty (below), is magnificent. Beautiful, great playing, sounds phenomenal, not sure how it can get any better. NEVER SELLING....

GibsonLPStd50sLH1.PNG

TL;DR - don't sell guitars, it is always a bad reason:rofl:

pedecamp

Reaction score
My first electric guitar was a Kent LP in ebony bought it new in 1980. Sadly I sold it to help fund my goldtop 15 years ago (I sold alot of things to get this goldtop) and I've regretted it since. Honestly it was unplayable but now a days I feel like it would have been a good project to get it playable or at least hang on the wall if anything.

Winter Warlock

Reaction score
I sold a Studio Deluxe II after owning it for about two years. Of the 4 LPs I've owned it's the one I bonded with the least. It had some minor QC stuff which bugged me more and more over time, and it also had an active 10db boost built into it that sounded cheesy to me. The nice thing was that it had coil splitting, rather than coil tap, which I really liked. The single coil modes were pretty useful when recording.

I returned a 2006 Classic a couple days after buying it because it had too much fret wear and the clean sound wasn't that good. This was one of the old "1960" ones with the 496R and 500T pickups. Amazing distortion sound from that guitar - seriously incredible - but I need those jangly cleans too and this one just didn't have them.

DaveSG

Reaction score
My first electric guitar was a Kent LP in ebony bought it new in 1980. Sadly I sold it to help fund my goldtop 15 years ago (I sold alot of things to get this goldtop) and I've regretted it since. Honestly it was unplayable but now a days I feel like it would have been a good project to get it playable or at least hang on the wall if anything.
Wall art to remember the good times, yes, if only we had the wisdom then that we had now. Hindsight 20/20, isn't it? Sold an '06 SG 62 Reissue VOS (limited GC model) and it was the best guitar I've ever owned, and got it on blowout because nobody wanted it lol. Monster tone, just the best ever, nailed the sound in my head 100%. Why oh why did I sell??????

TheWelder

Reaction score
1989 Standard in tobacco burst. Really regret selling it, but that was during a period when I was barley scraping by financially and had to give up gear to acquire something else that was causing GAS. One of the few guitars I've gotten rid of that still stings.

2012 Trad - It had a beautiful top but was just sort of unremarkable as a guitar.

2010 (I think) Les Paul Tribute - first year of the Tribute, it was an OK guitar but didn't do it for me.

Leee

Reaction score
... 2006 Classic
... one of the old "1960" ones
... 496R and 500T pickups
My 2000 had the same pickups.
Yuck.
THIS is what schooled me into “vintage” lower output pickups.
57 Classics are probably still my favorite.

If you need more output, there’s a gazillion ways to boost the signal.
But if you have thin, shrill, ass-sounding pickups?
No tone means NO TONE.
No matter what you do.

I tell people that those ceramic pickups are great for Pantera riffs.
But I don’t play Pantera.

Latest Threads