Les Paul's Number One goes for $930,000 at Christie's

hotshot

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW !!!!! This is one of them times I wished I was "fitly rich".

DaveSG

Reaction score
Was it his number 1?.
This is my question as well. What documentation do we (or anyone) have that this is either the guitar he used the most, or loved the most? He modified quite a lot of guitars.

Reaction score
This is my question as well. What documentation do we (or anyone) have that this is either the guitar he used the most, or loved the most? He modified quite a lot of guitars.
This guitar was owned and confirmed by his son Gene. I don't think you can get any more clearer than that. Type in the google machine and search for the videos talking about it.

CoolRene

Reaction score
As much as I can appreciate the historical dimension of the #1, if I had that kind of money I definitely would not invest it in an artifact I wouldn't be able to play. Same goes for the early '52 models, fitted with a trapeze tailpiece.
I would rather have a selection of nice, playable models as the '54 GoldTop with P90's, a Burst with a'59 neck, a fat-necked 335 and a small bodied CS 336, without forgetting the '64 SG (which I already got :naughty:).
Without entering the vintage market, one can get very nice pre-owned instruments for an amount toalizing ~20K...
If I want to view a Picasso, I visit the museum rather than having one at home :jam:Keep on rockin' LP fans !!

LPCrafty

Reaction score
Honestly, I wasn't surprised, it was Les Paul's actual number one Les Paul guitar. Yeah, it's a crappy first-year model and was modded to the extreme, but it was modded by The Man himself. It's probably never going to be played again anyway. The auction houses have been ridiculously low in their final value predictions for guitars of similar provenance. If Wolfie ever decides to auction the real Frankenstein, I could see it being the first eight figure auction for a guitar.

bentfinger

Reaction score
I would have guessed half that. Anybody here pick it up by any chance?

I am not rich enough but what I would love to hope is, that, this instrument, which is SO important, wasn't bought by some rich geezer as an investment and put in a vault. It is worthy of a serious music museum so we all can see it and love it too.

RDeNatale

Reaction score

Travis D

Reaction score
Who ever bought that must have money to burn way overpriced so I hope they really like it cause they will be stuck with it. Remember that Mary Ford Sg Custom that sold to Pawn stars in Vegas then they sold it, The guy is still trying to resell

Nikki M

Reaction score
He had to have it... otherwise his Gibson LP collection would be second best..

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I suspect Joe bought it..
Joe isn't that rich (or stupid.) My first thought was the east coast collector who Joe said owns Clapton's stolen Beano.

Edit: I just checked his net worth on the celebrity net worth tracker thingy. Ok. Joe is that rich, but this was still an overpayment.

Last edited:

Latest Threads