Les Pauls Hide sins...in a good way !!!....Do you agree

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My favorite LP would have to be the double cutaway one made in 1960, before the SG was introduced. The only negative on this is the lack of a maple cap. But the heavier body on it gave it a better tone than the less hefty SG.

Robby

Reaction score
This, and GENERALLY speaking a flatter radius than a Strat (I say generally, as all my strats, or strat clones have a 12" radius, for a reason). Also, Strats with Trems, and bending = loss of intonation (to some degree), on a lot of guitars.
I deff think its the short scale length and the flatter radius ....I also love my jackson SL1 with 16 radius

Nintari

Reaction score
I don't think the guitar is a factor so much as the effects and amp. If you've got a really high-end, quality tube amp and are playing straight in and clean--and loud--people are going to hear every minute screw up along the way. But if you're jacked into a 100 dollar solid state with a Metal Zone set to 11 and a Wah thrown into the mix as well... well... let's just say that not many people are gonna hear you hitting all those open strings between chord changes regardless of the guitar.

dro

Reaction score
Les Paul's tend to make me play differently, than other guitars. It's not only the scale, tone, and feel. There is just something that works.
My single coil guitars are Leo Era G&L's. I play them totally differently than the Les Paul.
Have tried to like Strat's and Tele's. But for me, The 80's G&L's are FAR superior instruments in every way.
Couldn't get anything good but OD out of a PRS. Not to say they don't have a model I may like. Too much $$$ for me.
I can get through any gig, any genre with no problem with a Les Paul.
The single coil stuff, at some point, will always fall a bit short.

jbash

Reaction score
Les Pauls (Gibson scale) hide the sins of the picking hand and exposes the sins of the fretting hand.

Fenders (fender scale) hides the sins of the fretting hand and exposes the sins of the picking hand.

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
The slower attack and warmer tones of a Gibson make them easier to play and more forgiving. The longer scale with stiffer feel and brighter pickups on a Fender make them less forgiving.

I love both and both have their place but as I have said many times before, you play a Les Paul. You fight a Strat.

brianbzed

Reaction score
I play mostly blues and LOVE the warm creamy sounds of a lester, it actually brings me up two notches ,as i dont think im a great player, but people say they like my sound......i DONT have the same confidence , when i play my fender or PRS ......DO you feel the les paul is the easiest , most forgiving electric guitar ...the same way a giant oversize tennis racket helps a lesser player ....I hope im explaining it right , i feel much more confident playing a LP for some reason and i cant put my finger on why
Scale length and fretboard material are the keys for me.....I play better with a Gibson scale and a rosewood 'board. A Fender scale and a maple 'board are considerably more work !

jbash

Reaction score
I love both and both have their place but as I have said many times before, you play a Les Paul. You fight a Strat.
Let a Les paul do it's thing, never stand in it's way, and you will be rewarded. Strats and Teles must be beat into submission.

THAWK819

Reaction score
I think everyone has a scale length sweet spot that just feels right. The 24.594 on the McCarty 594 just feels all kinds of perfect to me.

I had always preferred Les Pauls to Strats previously; who would have thought that chopping the scale length down another .156 off the Lester scale would make any difference at all?

Rob H.

Reaction score
Beyond jamming at home, I’m always struggling to pull my sound out of Fenders and similar designs.

Gibsons do more of the work so I don’t have to try as hard to keep things ringing out etc.

dro

Reaction score
Beyond jamming at home, I’m always struggling to pull my sound out of Fenders and similar designs.

Gibsons do more of the work so I don’t have to try as hard to keep things ringing out etc.
Well If you're trying to get a fender to sustain. You're either gonna have to change all the pot metal parts in it.
Or get a really good compressor. Or both.
A Les Paul all you gotta do is plug it in.

MCT

Reaction score
I play mostly blues and LOVE the warm creamy sounds of a lester, it actually brings me up two notches ,as i dont think im a great player, but people say they like my sound......i DONT have the same confidence , when i play my fender or PRS ......DO you feel the les paul is the easiest , most forgiving electric guitar ...the same way a giant oversize tennis racket helps a lesser player ....I hope im explaining it right , i feel much more confident playing a LP for some reason and i cant put my finger on why
I don’t, actually. Fenders (specifically Strats) are commonly thought to be the more forgiving of the Fender vs Gibson debate. Personally, I find that it’s the Fender players whose approach is to turn all the pots to 10, slap on some pedals, and go. With a Gibson, you need to finesse the pots to dial the tone in, but once you do, you don’t need any distortion pedals. You’ve got everything you need at your fingertips, but you gotta know how to use it…not true with Fenders, where your feet play a prominent role.

Robby

Reaction score
Scale length and fretboard material are the keys for me.....I play better with a Gibson scale and a rosewood 'board. A Fender scale and a maple 'board are considerably more work !
YESSSSS exactly , and dont forget the 12' radius ......In the end i think its the scale length and 9s on my LP that makes it easy and silky

EasyAce

Reaction score
I've been playing blues for a long time. No guitar I ever played equals any of my four Les Pauls for it, whether I was playing the old blues or what I've been playing since I started playing blues on the jazzier side a few years ago. There's no happier music marriage for me than a Les Paul through a Fender amp.

PAPADON

Reaction score
Some folks think that Teles are unforgiving and Les Pauls let you slide. Come to think of it I just screwed up a couple of times typing this post maybe I need a different keyboard. On the other hand maybe it's not so much that I need a forgiving guitar as it is that I need to be forgiven.

Rob H.

Reaction score
In my 30 years of playing I’ve always heard it was Les Pauls that were forgiving, with Teles and Strats being more work with the scale length, small frets and radius.

I’m very sensitive to scale length and have found the above to be the case for me.

Latest Threads