Les Pauls Hide sins...in a good way !!!....Do you agree

Robby

Reaction score
I play mostly blues and LOVE the warm creamy sounds of a lester, it actually brings me up two notches ,as i dont think im a great player, but people say they like my sound......i DONT have the same confidence , when i play my fender or PRS ......DO you feel the les paul is the easiest , most forgiving electric guitar ...the same way a giant oversize tennis racket helps a lesser player ....I hope im explaining it right , i feel much more confident playing a LP for some reason and i cant put my finger on why

Last edited:

DavGrape

Some Posts May Be Fictional
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, heck yeah.
First time I played one I couldn't believe how the notes jumped out; and it sounded great all over the neck and just easy to play.
Chords play in tune easier, too... more forgiving sloppy-wise, which is my whole technique.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well actually the amp matters when you are NOT using distortion. I like an amp that I can set to give me distortion on the lower strings hard attack and give me clean tone clean on the higher strings with softer attack.

msalama

Reaction score
Yeah. If I want to noodle away, I pick up a Lester. But If I want to play, I pick up a Tele and plug in to a clean amp. Because that separates the men from the boys :D

PS. Just joking of course. I very often play an LP when recording clean guitar parts as well, because Lesters are very dependable and predictable. So that's just one thing less to worry about in the heat of the battle...

Last edited:

Peter M

Reaction score
In general, I find notes have much more life and clarity on a Les Paul than any other guitar. PRS would be right up there. With some Fenders, especially those with vintage style frets, notes can dry up fast.

AJK1

Reaction score
I play mostly blues and LOVE the warm creamy sounds of a lester, it actually brings me up two notches ,as i dont think im a great player, but people say they like my sound......i DONT have the same confidence , when i play my fender or PRS ......DO you feel the les paul is the easiest , most forgiving electric guitar ...the same way a giant oversize tennis racket helps a lesser player ....I hope im explaining it right , i feel much more confident playing a LP for some reason and i cant put my finger on why
Have you considered the fact that a Les Paul has a shorter scale length ?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if i sound any better on a Les Paul than a Tele. I find it more comfortable to play, specifically the bridge area, no sharp bits, I find the screws on strats and teles always have sharp edges in the worst places. That being said I would like an old Tele I have a part caster one thats not bad, but I cannot get a good setup on it.

decoy205

Reaction score
A good set up does this for me on any guitar. I would say the styles change when I switch from a Lp to a strat or tele type but as long as they have a proper set up I’m good.
Maybe you just don’t like the frets or neck angle on the strat?

uncle mud

Reaction score
I am a blues player and prefer Les Pauls. I prefer the flatter radius, 1 11/16 nut width, and a 24 3/4" scale. I have owned a few Strats. I like the tones, but do not like the way they play. My favorite LP's at this time have a wraparound bridge and P-90's.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a blues player and prefer Les Pauls. I prefer the flatter radius, 1 11/16 nut width, and a 24 3/4" scale. I have owned a few Strats. I like the tones, but do not like the way they play. My favorite LP's at this time have a wraparound bridge and P-90's.
This is the same for me....and i like the neck angle and how it sits with the body. On a Strat the long neck going straight out seems awkward after playing a LP for a couple of hours. I get fatigued on a Tele or Strat and feel nice and comfy with an LP or SG....even my Juniors feel like a relief after too much time with a Fender.

Though i still have to have those Fender tones,...

integra evan

Reaction score
Gibsons tend to "hug" you more with the neck angle the way it is and make it a bit smoother to play, all else being "equal."
Bolt ons give you more of a fight. But both sound great and both sound different. When I feel like "digging in" I'll pick up my Tele or Strat. When I feel like playing "smooth" I'll pick up a Gibson.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
If "sins" are sloppy playing then no... not in a good way.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gib scale, Fender scale, PRS scale....they're all good.... Gib's shorter scale might make some stuff easier to play, not better or worse....

I play 10s on Lester scale and 9s on longer scales.... Both feel about the same as far as tension.... 10s on both would mean a Fender scale would be a lot different feeling in comparison to Gib scale....

Buds have played my Fenders and wondered why they played so well compared to theirs.... I'd ask what strings they use ... 10s on everything... Ok den....

Different scale lengths mean different bend distance too. Think it out....

I love playing all my guitars.... The perfect guitar is the guitar you love playing at the time... Recorded, one would be hard pressed to identify which guitar in a lot of cases when played by a pro that knows and uses the knobs on guitar and amp....

Robby

Reaction score
A good set up does this for me on any guitar. I would say the styles change when I switch from a Lp to a strat or tele type but as long as they have a proper set up I’m good.
Maybe you just don’t like the frets or neck angle on the strat?
For some reason , when i go off on a long solo, i just find the LP more intuitive and has a natural flow , almost like it hard to hit a wrong note ....im wondering if it all comes down to scale length

Robby

Reaction score
Gib scale, Fender scale, PRS scale....they're all good.... Gib's shorter scale might make some stuff easier to play, not better or worse....

I play 10s on Lester scale and 9s on longer scales.... Both feel about the same as far as tension.... 10s on both would mean a Fender scale would be a lot different feeling in comparison to Gib scale....

Buds have played my Fenders and wondered why they played so well compared to theirs.... I'd ask what strings they use ... 10s on everything... Ok den....

Different scale lengths mean different bend distance too. Think it out....

I love playing all my guitars.... The perfect guitar is the guitar you love playing at the time... Recorded, one would be hard pressed to identify which guitar in a lot of cases when played by a pro that knows and uses the knobs on guitar and amp....
I think you are on to something..i play 9s on my LP ....you touched on how bends are different on a LP..can you tell me more ?...Thanks

Robby

Reaction score
Gibsons tend to "hug" you more with the neck angle the way it is and make it a bit smoother to play, all else being "equal."
Bolt ons give you more of a fight. But both sound great and both sound different. When I feel like "digging in" I'll pick up my Tele or Strat. When I feel like playing "smooth" I'll pick up a Gibson.
Yesssss ...thats what i mean , the silky smooth flow i feel ...Im really thinking it all the scale length

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are on to something..i play 9s on my LP ....you touched on how bends are different on a LP..can you tell me more ?...Thanks
Longer scale vs. shorter scale, The longer the scale, the more bend distance to hit pitch... Granted, it is not a huge amount but there is a difference....

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the fact that a Les Paul has a shorter scale length ?
This, and GENERALLY speaking a flatter radius than a Strat (I say generally, as all my strats, or strat clones have a 12" radius, for a reason). Also, Strats with Trems, and bending = loss of intonation (to some degree), on a lot of guitars.

Latest Threads