Les Paul's headaches

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
I have a Epiphone Les Paul... I have been upgrading the pots. The first time I thought that I was done. Plug her in... If the 3 way toggle switch is in the rhythm position. You have sound. Any other positions it's dead. I broke her back down. Resoldered everything, and made sure. That each connection was tight. Put her back together, and nothing... Completely dead. Would anyone be able to help me with this headache please .

hamerfan

Reaction score
You need a DMM to trace the mistake. Maybe a short to ground, check that no hot touches a ground.

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
Thank you... I've checked for continuity with my multimeter. I've got continuity on all the pots. But, none on the output jack, bridge. Is there a certain way the pickups are wired? Also does it matter what volume pot The 3 way toggle switch is wired to?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thank you... I've checked for continuity with my multimeter. I've got continuity on all the pots. But, none on the output jack, bridge. Is there a certain way the pickups are wired? Also does it matter what volume pot The 3 way toggle switch is wired to?
Google Les Paul wiring.

Photos of your wiring job would help the diagnostic. Control cavity and switch cavity.

Just reread what you wrote, Each volume pot has to be connected to the switch if you want both pickups to work, that is the concept.

BadPenguin

Reaction score

It's easy to make a mistake. Use these as your guide. Top is modern, bottom, vintage.

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
I have to redo all the grounds... I tried to attach a picture of my work. But, it says that it is too big to upload. Thank you all for the advice.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have to redo all the grounds... I tried to attach a picture of my work. But, it says that it is too big to upload. Thank you all for the advice.
If you use Windows, Right Click on your jpeg file and move down to Open With, and select Paint. When the picture opens up in Paint, select Resize towards the upper left of the Image/tools section. Then click on Pixels and what ever number is bigger the Horizontal or Vertical, just change it to 800 and click Ok. Then exit the paint app and choose to save it when you exit. Now it will be fine for upload and such.

Bubba TheBassMan

Reaction score
Thank you for the update. But, I'm using my phone for Internet. I still don't understand what you mean by your reply.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thank you for the update. But, I'm using my phone for Internet. I still don't understand what you mean by your reply.
Yep, a lot of people don't use computers anymore and have no idea how to use them now that smart phones have taken over for everyone. Sorry I couldn't help, you have to know how to use basic Microsoft Windows functionality/or Mac/Apple basic photo editor on a computer to be able to do what I stated.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yep, a lot of people don't use computers anymore and have no idea how to use them now that smart phones have taken over for everyone. Sorry I couldn't help, you have to know how to use basic Microsoft Windows functionality/or Mac/Apple basic photo editor on a computer to be able to do what I stated.
can't tell how but it would surprise me you couldn't do the same on a phone or tablet

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, probably a free picture editor for your iPhone or Android, just search for something that allows you to change your picture size. On an iPhone, if you have the picture up and click the button to send it and choose mail, you get a choice of selecting a size small, medium, or large. then you can just save it from mail and it will be a smaller version.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
You can reduce file size on an Android phone. I've done it so I would imagine the same with an iphone.

It's hard to help without seeing what's going on.

Latest Threads