Les Pauls are AMAZING guitars... BUT...

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Reaction score
I have been a Strat player since 1997.I love my collection of Strats also, however,i can not seem to spend “Custom shop” money on one.Just too basic,where a Les paul has alot going on in its construction.

Also this is a Les Paul forum....lol..ive had my hide torn up here ,for less Hahaha..

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

Dont get your point; if you dont like Les Paul guitars and prefer Strats, What are you doing here???
We all love LP's and you come to say that they are heavy blablabla...
Well, get a Steinberger stick guitar and play your guitar!!
Hey! I have a Steinberger Spirit guitar and the matching bass! :laugh2: But I also have Teles, LPs, a Jazzmaster, a Melody Maker, an ES, a cheap Gretsch, a pawn shop Squier etc etc. But no Strats.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I never felt limited or uncomfortable with a Les Paul,...and that balsy tone :dude:

I like Strats too,... but they have balls of a gnat.

I had a Strat just so I could have access to both sounds...being in cover bands it never hurt, physically or sonically.

Big Dik

Reaction score
I have a LP Custom, and several Strats. Both are my stage guitars. More of it depended on what song I was playing. I have a nice wide strap for the LP, and as they say in Texas, "It's all good!"

dasherf17

Reaction score
I just noticed we've been tossing around ol' OP's opening post...and they've walked off after the air guitar bit...on the first page...interesting...
Goat's been gotten, eh?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to choose one or the other? They are both great guitars with an incredible legacy. I have an LP, SG, strat, Tele, among others... They are all beautifully different and I wouldn’t part with any of em. And I disagree about the balls thing. Tell Jimmy Page or SRV or David Gilmour that their fender sound lacks balls. This arguement is foolish And I pity the closed minded fool that refuses to enjoy one brand because he thinks the other is the only one that should exist.

I never said that Strats didn't have balls,.... just tiny ones...... i'm sure just enough to get another gnat pregnant.

With just enough magnification those tiny balls look huge,.... now trade that magnifier with a amplifier....you see where i'm going.

;)

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just noticed we've been tossing around ol' OP's opening post...and they've walked off after the air guitar bit...on the first page...interesting...
Goat's been gotten, eh?
That's his MO...

JDThaddeus

Reaction score
I haven't played a strat in decades. Maybe I better not loljk.

I'm brand new to this forum so maybe this is talked about a lot but one thing I like about Les Paul's is how they sit a little further to the right when I'm sitting down And it's resting on my right leg. This puts the fret board a little more in front of me instead of hanging way out into my left side and bopping my girlfriend in the face. (Just about the only reasons that I don't pick up my Jackson Soloist more often often is with the reverse headstock and the length of the guitar I will spear her right in the face). She likes to sit next to me when I practice. She watches TV and does her thing and I doodle on my LP. So, the "uncomfortable" placement where an LP rests on your leg while sitting can have it's benefits too.

E.T.

Reaction score
I dunno, I've never got on with strats. Mainly because of this:
Some players sound great on strats ...but I sound like shit on one cuz my hand keeps whacking the volume knob

But I also I like the feeling that if at any point whilst I was playing a bear broke into my apartment I'd be able to knock the sucker out with my guitar before I got eaten.

Clocker

Reaction score
The les paul is an amazing guitar, but I like strats better. Why? Comfort. LP guitars are heavy and feel awkward to play both standing and sitting (for me) the edges cut into me and cause discomfort. I LOVE the way a LP guitar looks but I can't get down with how it feels. I have both humbucker and single coil guitars so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not owning a LP (ive owned a few and eventually sold them all) ... its hard to argue that a strat is more comfortable to play than a LP. Both standing and sitting.
Hurry and trot home before you’re kicked out of your hovel under the bridge.

krhnyc

Reaction score
Apples, meet oranges... Humbucking Strats will NEVER sound or play like a Les Paul... Just as a Les Paul with 3 singles will not emulate a Strat. If you like Strats better, fine... but there is no comparison here.

Just for edification, Les Pauls need not be heavy... I have a solid LP (not chambered) that weighs 8.7lbs.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Reaction score
Apples, meet oranges... Humbucking Strats will NEVER sound or play like a Les Paul... Just as
you like Strats , I like trains

Yeah im an avid model railroader myself,i have an 0 guage set,down in the basement, with the whole model town setup to go with it.On saturday nights i like to wear my conductor hat and ,and go at it.

a Les Paul with 3 singles will not emulate a Strat. If you like Strats better, fine... but there is no comparison here.

Just for edification, Les Pauls need not be heavy... I have a solid LP (not chambered) that weighs 8.7lbs.

both of my Historics are in the low 8 range

Nintari

Reaction score
I feel like a Strat and a Les Paul are the original odd couple of guitars. Two totally different beasts who are strong at what they do individually, but far stronger when combined.

In other words, it's best to own both.

Last edited:

Bluesman1956

Reaction score

Attachments

• 9E7D078F-D780-48D1-B4D1-2676F233F88A.jpeg
    9E7D078F-D780-48D1-B4D1-2676F233F88A.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 7B3E002B-3EE9-4446-BE3E-822D29B6F452.jpeg
    7B3E002B-3EE9-4446-BE3E-822D29B6F452.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 5

Bluesman1956

Reaction score
I love Gibson LP's and Fender Strats and Teles, and have many of each in my collection.

I DO have 2 guitars that basically give the best of both worlds and I can play and cover just about all the tones I'd need with these 2 guitars.

The reason they're great, is they both have humbuckers in the bridge, and that makes them very versatile guitars.

'15 Suhr Classic Pro:
43966630980_d1c398bc3a_b.jpg

'03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top:
25340690218_1476b0a892_b.jpg
There you go here’s my Suhr, love it!!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Let's see.... in 40 years of playing, I've owned 1, count 'em ONE Fender strat, and flipped it a week later. Won't own a Fender. Now I have an Ibanez Roadstar with the typical 2 singles and a hum, and love it to death because it's the nicest feeling neck known to man. And I have a 73 Aria strat copy, because, well, it's an Aria, and it was 30 bucks, and a nice thick fat neck that I can use at a club at a bar fight! But seriously, never dug the tone and feel of a strat.

Mickstah

Reaction score
The les paul is an amazing guitar, but I like strats better. Why? Comfort. LP guitars are heavy and feel awkward to play both standing and sitting (for me) the edges cut into me and cause discomfort. I LOVE the way a LP guitar looks but I can't get down with how it feels. I have both humbucker and single coil guitars so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not owning a LP (ive owned a few and eventually sold them all) ... its hard to argue that a strat is more comfortable to play than a LP. Both standing and sitting.
While I haven't posted here in years, I was so repulsed by the lameness of this post that I intended to respond in kind. Aside from the fact that this person owns a stratocaster, I would not deem him a guitar player by the nature of his comments. Fortunately, my brethren on this page have already responded appropriately, saving me the ink, and further sarcasm. While Fender guitars certainly have their place, I've never before heard that as described as "comfort." Yucchhh!!!

Latest Threads