Les Pauls are AMAZING guitars... BUT...

2Muchgear

Reaction score
The les paul is an amazing guitar, but I like strats better. Why? Comfort. LP guitars are heavy and feel awkward to play both standing and sitting (for me) the edges cut into me and cause discomfort. I LOVE the way a LP guitar looks but I can't get down with how it feels. I have both humbucker and single coil guitars so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not owning a LP (ive owned a few and eventually sold them all) ... its hard to argue that a strat is more comfortable to play than a LP. Both standing and sitting.
oh well.

Wingtip4

Reaction score
I think PRS is the most comfortable, but if you keep buying Les Pauls over 50 years you eventually find a good one.

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
The les paul is an amazing guitar, but I like strats better. Why? Comfort. LP guitars are heavy and feel awkward to play both standing and sitting (for me) the edges cut into me and cause discomfort. I LOVE the way a LP guitar looks but I can't get down with how it feels. I have both humbucker and single coil guitars so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not owning a LP (ive owned a few and eventually sold them all) ... its hard to argue that a strat is more comfortable to play than a LP. Both standing and sitting.
I'm the complete opposite, my 79 custom is my favorite feeling guitar, 10lbs and all. Yet I also love my 78 strat, heavy compared to other strats.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
That’s why there’s a PRS McCarty 594... best guitar ever made. I don’t get guys that notice guitars “cutting into” them?
I want one. But that's a mighty bold claim.

Reactions: ehb

Rwill682

Reaction score
The les paul is an amazing guitar, but I like strats better...
[/QUOTE]

There are many great players who have preferred stratz and telecasters… I don't really notice the difference while I'm sitting but Les pauls definitely are heavier. I think over the course of years I have at different times preferred one or the other… so It's probably a good idea to have plenty of guitars on hand to choose from…

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
:cheers: Hey Bling, That was a great Friday shit post.

It started off good. But kind of pfizzled out into a polite drum circle.
It didn't get the response like some of the Friday's past, but I couldn't have come up with a better topic.

Les Paul Advocate

Reaction score
Bling, you had me at "The les paul is an amazing guitar." For your sake I hope you think Strats are amazing guitars too.

bentfinger

Reaction score
Well you're brave stating that on the LP love site!.
I am not very large as modern man goes but my 2002 with a 60's neck sounds brilliant,
looks the business and although I've tried (hard) I just cannot get he sound I want from the beloved strat format so I am at peace with my LP. Mind you my osteopath has bought several new cars on the amount of £££$$$ I've given him to keep me upright!!!

Porscheman

Reaction score
Uhmm, If you don't like or own LPs, and are only into Strats, why are you even here bothering us and trashing what everyone here enjoys? Like LP owners/lovers don't already know how heavy they are and what they feel like, so you have to educate us about them? That's akin to someone who only wants to drive a Ford going on a Porsche enthusiasts' site to bitch about Porsches. Silly. Play what you like, but if we wanted a Strat, we would sell one of our LPs and get 3 of them in assorted colors to have something to smash for dramatic effect on stage.

MikeDercole

Reaction score
Why do you have to choose one or the other? They are both great guitars with an incredible legacy. I have an LP, SG, strat, Tele, among others... They are all beautifully different and I wouldn’t part with any of em. And I disagree about the balls thing. Tell Jimmy Page or SRV or David Gilmour that their fender sound lacks balls. This arguement is foolish And I pity the closed minded fool that refuses to enjoy one brand because he thinks the other is the only one that should exist.

presbychuck

Reaction score
I still love my 175 lb. 1971 Norlin Les Paul... and my Elite Strat... and my vintage Tele... a bit less my Jaguar (still need and SG and a PRS and a whole bunch more). I'll never play any of them (not even the poor ol' Jag) for half of what they are. Oh well, I like pretty girls too, but my wife, for the life of her, doesn't understand why. I guess it takes all kinds, eh?

SimonCroft

Reaction score
Well, good sir, there's a forum for people like you. :fingersx:I hang out on www.strat-talk.com a lot, because they're a nice bunch over there, and I know some of them face-to-face as well. Personally, I love Les Pauls, 335s, Strats and Teles. Although I don't currently own a Lester, I still do the 'detachable thumb' thing was I get to the top of the neck, so I suppose I just got used to their idiosyncrasies!

dandorledo

Reaction score
Hi
Dont get your point; if you dont like Les Paul guitars and prefer Strats, What are you doing here???
We all love LP's and you come to say that they are heavy blablabla...
Well, get a Steinberger stick guitar and play your guitar!!

paintguy

Reaction score
Right or wrong the Les Paul is home for me. Just feels right and I have been playing 40 plus years and have owned dozens and dozens and dozens of guitars. I was never comfortable with a Strat until I got a PRS. That was about 25 years ago and then all the sudden the Strat didn't feel so awkward.

To each his own.

Last edited:

dasherf17

Reaction score
Hi

Dont get your point; if you dont like Les Paul guitars and prefer Strats, What are you doing here???
We all love LP's and you come to say that they are heavy blablabla...
Well, get a Steinberger stick guitar and play your guitar!!
It's like talking Lester's on a Gretsch forum...or Telecaster...Y?

Latest Threads