Les Paul's #1 Goes Up For Auction

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
One of a kind!! A good read also. Isn’t his son (the seller) going to regret this at some point in time? I guess he’s also not the youngest anymore.
Curious to know how much it’ll be sold for... anyone care to take a guess?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man auctioning famous guitars seems to be the thing to do now.

DanD

Reaction score
That's a staple in the neck. Hmmmm...

fretout

Reaction score
Anyone recall when intonation was invented?

Slick Willy

Reaction score
The man is an icon in music. He was a truly good guy. I would give my left nut to own the number one guitar. It shows just how hard his mind worked. He was always trying to push the limits.

redking

Reaction score
Ha! - Les was not afraid to mod anything to make it suit his needs. Funny enough I just watched this studio tour and the owner has a bunch of vintage mic pre's and compressors that used to be belong to Les and he modded them way back in the day with input jacks on the front because he liked to plug straight in (without using an amp) while doing studio work to get as clean a sound as possible. Funny quote "yep, Les de-valued this one too"

efisch

Reaction score
I thought the first run of Les Paul's had unbound fingerboards?

DBDM

Reaction score
Hopefully to be purchased by a museum or an individual who donates it to a museum. Stunt there for one-offs like this is that since there are no comps, the owner gets to claim whatever value he/she chooses. Buy it for a sum of money (like $1M) then donate it for a $4m tax write off. That is what they do with fine art.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Looks like a candidate for a plug and refinish!
KIDDING KIDDING!!!
Top THAT, Murphy! (...also, kidding!)
Love the relicing...sorry, can't stop...
I would love to have that in glass...

Last edited:

dasherf17

Reaction score
I don't know how I could sell it if it was my father's...it would be like selling him out...sorry, I'm just that way...

zdoggie

Reaction score
it should be in a place where no harm can come to it ,perserved some how .

zdog

dasherf17

Reaction score
it should be in a place where no harm can come to it ,perserved some how .

zdog
Yup, hence my "in glass"...used to be a store in the 'burbs where the owner had one of Leo's Broadcaster/Telecaster (1 of 4?) prototypes in a glass case. He turned down a guy who offered him $4000...came back offering $40,000 (always with the 4s...) and then $400,000! It was a while ago, I'm not even sure if $4 million wasn't thrown in there...
But, yeah...in glass...

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Ha! - Les was not afraid to mod anything to make it suit his needs. Funny enough I just watched this studio tour and the owner has a bunch of vintage mic pre's and compressors that used to be belong to Les and he modded them way back in the day with input jacks on the front because he liked to plug straight in (without using an amp) while doing studio work to get as clean a sound as possible. Funny quote "yep, Les de-valued this one too"

Thanks for sharing that video. I’m a huge Les Paul fan! Les wasn’t afraid to do what he needed to do. He viewed a guitar as a tool not an investment. Which is absolutely the truth. He was making a million a year in the early 50’s. Which is mind boggling if you think about it. As guitar players we owe him a lot. Imagine if he hadn’t let Gibson use his name on that iconic guitar we all love.

premiumplus

Reaction score
I hope it goes to a museum as well, here in the USA where it was born. It would be a shame to have it end up in some private collection, never to be seen again.

Latest Threads