Les Paul VS Telecaster

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Close, the Tele is a little bit twangier, but they are very close in tone.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent video. Certainly can hear the difference in the 2 guitars. IMHO the similarities in tone are due to the same hands playing them. Case in point, whatever I play I sound like me

gball

Reaction score
You often hear that a good Les Paul is like a Tele on Steroids. Lets have a battle and see if that's the case. :)

I've heard/read that statement many times but personally disagree. To me Teles sound like whimpy Les Pauls. I get that the comparo probably got its start from the fact that Teles came first, but the LP to me is what the Tele should have been.

Cool video. I really like how you can hear the subtle differences in them.

EddieF

Reaction score
You couldn’t give me a Telecaster. They are uncomfortable to play and have too much treble. If you like Telecasters fine just not the sound I like. I don’t see how you could remotely think A Les Paul sounds anything like a Telecaster.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I have a Les Paul standard 60's and an American Standard tele. They sound very different to me.

HOWEVER, I played a Les Paul Junior for the first time and that is the closest any guitar has gotten to my tele... in fact it's what I wish my tele could sound like. Makes sense since p90’s are beefier single coils.
If my tele is Bruce Banner, the Les Paul Junior is the Hulk. May be selling my tele soon, but I want to keep at least one single coil guitar in my stable.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Les Paul standard 60's and an American Standard tele. They sound very different to me.

HOWEVER, I played a Les Paul Junior for the first time and that is the closest any guitar has gotten to my tele... in fact it's what I wish my tele could sound like. Makes sense since p90’s are beefier single coils.
If my tele is Bruce Banner, the Les Paul Junior is the Hulk. May be selling my tele soon, but I want to keep at least one single coil guitar in my stable.
I learned on a Lake placid blue Telecaster in the 90's but definitely a strat guy these days, I think Tele are overrated...LOL. I have a nice strat for single coil tones....

rogue3

Reaction score
And i have heard a Tele through a Marshall...that sounded like a good Les Paul should. Many variations in both models.Construction and pickups.Not all Teles sound thin.Some sound quite fat,while retaining that bite. A great paf repro(or original) on a Les Paul has a Tele-like bite, imo.The lines blur.There is the extremes ,and overlap in the sounds of both.

without looking at the video, while i write this....while he plays,it is a no-brainer to pick out which one.He is playing to the characteristic sound of both guitars...to highlight the differences.

Last edited:

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
And i have heard a Tele through a Marshall...that sounded like a good Les Paul should. Many variations in both models.Construction and pickups.Not all Teles sound thin.Some sound quite fat,while retaining that bite. A great paf repro(or original) on a Les Paul has a Tele-like bite, imo.The lines blur.There is the extremes ,and overlap in the sounds of both.

without looking at the video, while i write this....while he plays,it is a no-brainer to pick out which one.He is playing to the characteristic sound of both guitars...to highlight the differences.
I 100% agree with you; I mainly play through Marshalls, and sometimes Vox amps, and while there are obvious differences in sound (after all they are different guitars) the Telecaster is way closer to a Les Paul than, for example, a Stratocaster is.
The Les Paul in the picture I posted above is a '58 Reissue with OX4 unpotted pickups, while on the Telecaster I fitted a set of Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups, hence it's all very 50's/vintage, all of which reinforces the points you made.
A case in point; everybody knows that, as in a lot of other recordings, the solo on "Starway To Heaven" was played on a Telecaster through a Vox amp, which goes to show how Jimmy Page sold more Les Paul's than anyone else...playing a Telecaster! I also have some live recordings of the Yardbirds on their last US tour, when Page was forced to switch from bass to guitar following Beck's sudden disappearance(!) and although he plays a Telecaster he could've played a Les Paul and it would've sounded a little different, but not THAT different...

NotScott

Reaction score
If someone had told my 19 year-old self that I would be gigging with Teles more than Les Pauls, I would have laughed at them.

I find my Teles more versatile, dynamic and more expressive nowadays but nothing beats my Les Pauls for that fat, punch-you-in-the-face singing tone. You need to fight a Tele more than a Les Paul to get the goods out of it, but a good Tele will always reward the effort.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both sound good. Tele sounds like a Tele and LP like a LP. I have a Tele with Nocaster pickups, and it has that in-your-face twang, while my LP with 490/498 sounds totally different. My 335 has vintage style pickups and also sounds totally different than my Tele. Different tools for different sounds.

-Jay

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find these comparisons a bit ridiculous... Folks usually can't tell what the hell guitar is on a track if'n they can't 'see' the guitar... even a Skrat if you stay out of the two quack positions...

Put a Tele or Skrat in neck, crank the amp and listen.. Do it on bridge and roll highs a touch, crank, and listen....

;)

Page's Tele=thru=a=wide=open=Champ Lester tone is the best ever.

I want my Lester to sound like Page's
Tele=thru=a=wide=open=Champ Lester

:laugh2:

Lots of Teles and Champs in studio inventories all over.... Teles and Champs... fooling folks for years...

Love bofem. Both are fun to play....

I have an old one iron I bought for kicks, in my golf bag... I've played a round or so with just that just for fun.....
I know everybody in here, without seeing me/club, can watch JUST the ball trajectory and tell which club I used and brand name.... Simple.
Amirite?

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's all get along and just buy Teles and Gibsons.

What the hell is the problem here except for having
a disposable income. Solution? Just buy one
Tele and one Gibson. Problem solved. Next thread...

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Can confirm with my own two eyes and ears from last weekends jam session- me on ASAT and my buddy on LP Goldtop A/B/Y’d through Marshall 4X12:

G&L makes a better Tele than Leo Fender ever did!
:headbanger::dude::cool2:

gball

Reaction score
Can confirm with my own two eyes and ears from last weekends jam session- me on ASAT and my buddy on LP Goldtop A/B/Y’d through Marshall 4X12:

G&L makes a better Tele than Leo Fender ever did!
:headbanger::dude::cool2:
But, um...G&L was started by Leo Fender, with the stated goal of improving on his original earlier designs. What am I missing?

Latest Threads