Les Paul Tribute vs epiphones

Max Max

Reaction score
I just traded in my Epiphone Traditional Pro-II on a Gibson Studio. My Epiphone was prettier, tobacco burst, binding, nicer knobs. But as far as the way they both play and sound, the Gibson is better in every way. Out of the same amps, the burstbuckers sound better than the probuckers. The volume pots and toggle switch feel nicer and more solid than the ones on the Epi. I'm not really a Gibson fan, there just happened to be one used at a guitar store that I picked up and feel in love with. And it wasn't $2000+ so I'm not justifying the money I spent. My Gibson is just objectively better than my Epiphone was.
I know these aren't the same guitars as the ones you're talking about but I think I would choose the Gibson, if I were you. Coming from someone who's not necessarily a fan but just happens to own one.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Standard64.... Anthony the OP is new to MLP, and does not know this debate has been beat to death. Also... anyone can create a post to get more specific to his/her own questions all they want, this is what we are here for and it is his thread, so just relax and assist or just ignore and move on.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I just traded in my Epiphone Traditional Pro-II on a Gibson Studio. My Epiphone was prettier, tobacco burst, binding, nicer knobs. But as far as the way they both play and sound, the Gibson is better in every way. Out of the same amps, the burstbuckers sound better than the probuckers. The volume pots and toggle switch feel nicer and more solid than the ones on the Epi. I'm not really a Gibson fan, there just happened to be one used at a guitar store that I picked up and feel in love with. And it wasn't $2000+ so I'm not justifying the money I spent. My Gibson is just objectively better than my Epiphone was.
I know these aren't the same guitars as the ones you're talking about but I think I would choose the Gibson, if I were you. Coming from someone who's not necessarily a fan but just happens to own one.
Your Epiphone Traditonal Pro-II does not compare to a Epiphone 59 really. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus back in 2017 right around the same time the Traditonal Pro-II's were out. It was ok, but it does not compare to the quality that is coming out of Epiphone now, especially comparing to the 59 which the 59 does come with Gibson Burstbuckers 2/3 which are really nice pickups, the Gibson Tribute the OP is looking at does not.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been debated to death already, but I have the opportunity to get a year old tribute for about $50 canadian more than a brand new epi 59 les paul.

I know... different guitars... but im sort of a gibson newbie and want to know if the lowest gibsons les paul is better than the highest epiphone les paul.

Gibson comes with awesome bag vs epi awesome case.

Gibson 490 vs gibson burst buckers

Gibson nitro satin finish vs epiphone beautiful flame top

They seem very similar to me, is there any major advantages of the gibson over the epi?

I probably just want the gibson headstock... lol
" I probably just want the gibson headstock" I agree.
"I know...different guitars" I agree.

Last edited:

Anthony8801

Reaction score
Yeah sorry guys, I guess my main point was is the tribute as good as a higher end epiphone in general, I used the 59 as that is the exact same price as a used gibson tribute. Sorry for beating a dead horse here...

And I know they are very different... but at the same time they are both les pauls. I just wanted people's opinions on tributes vs epiphones and if it was worth it.

Now, onto my decision. And bear in mind, im in an area totally locked down by covid, so I can't just walk into a store and try whatever I want.

So I actually bought the 59 from long and mcquade a few days back, and I will be honest, the guitar is an ABSOLUTE BEAST. It really does feel like a high end guitar. The finish is a semi gloss which feels a lot more like satin than people might realize. The pickups sounded nice, and everything felt pretty high end for the most part. The neck was a tiny bit on the chunky side, but still felt good.

But the entire time, I was thinking to myself "why not just get the epiphone standard 50s for $300 (canadian) cheaper? At $1000, I could get the epiphone 50s, which I've read is a similar guitar with epiphone pickups instead of gibson, and than for $300 I could get a nice used amp on marketplace.

THAN I found a guy selling the gibson tribute, hence why i made this thread. I didn't tons of research, and the tribute seemed to check off a bunch of boxes I wanted, and the idea of actually owning a gibson for the same price as an epiphone made it a tough choice.

So I went to check the gibson today, and man this guitar is great. The satin finish and the slimmer neck is what sealed it for me.

The tribute look is NOT as nice as the 59, and if im being honest, the epiphone almost felt like a more premium item in my hands. But the lighter weight of the gibson is actually way more comfortable, the neck profile is nicer to me, and the satin finish feels great.

So long story short.. I own a gibson!

Anthony8801

Reaction score
Your Epiphone Traditonal Pro-II does not compare to a Epiphone 59 really. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus back in 2017 right around the same time the Traditonal Pro-II's were out. It was ok, but it does not compare to the quality that is coming out of Epiphone now, especially comparing to the 59 which the 59 does come with Gibson Burstbuckers 2/3 which are really nice pickups, the Gibson Tribute the OP is looking at does not.
From what i understand the burstbucker and the 490s are similar voiced pickups.

I've tested both now through my marshal origin amp and both have a very similar growl to them, the burstbuckers might have a little more clarity, but the 490s are no slouch. I'm very impressed with the gibson tribute so far.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, so I take it you're returning the 59. Lets see some pictures here of the two guitars side by side. You should really just keep both. haha

My Les Paul Modern has the Slim Taper neck compared to my Gibson Custom and Epiphone Custom with a Medium C neck which compares to the 59s neck. The Medium C neck is as big as I like to get or play on.

Last edited:

Anthony8801

Reaction score
Congrats, so I take it you're returning the 59. Lets see some pictures here of the two guitars side by side. You should really just keep both. haha
Thanks!

Unfortunately had to return it already. I contacted a bunch of guitar stores in my area who all confirm to be getting a shipping of 59 epiphones in the next month or two, so worst case if I made a mistake, ill just sell the gibson and buy the epiphone again haha.

So can't do side by side, but I will post pics of both when I get a chance

Standard 64

Reaction score
I love the neck on the Tribute.Most comfortable neck of all my guitars.I like how you said how the epiphpne almost felt like a more premium guitar.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Anthony,Origins are nice I have one.If you ever get the chance try your Tribute through a Fender Princeton Reverb.
rjw tells me to move on,funny guy(richlite,you got ripped off).

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The tribute look is NOT as nice as the 59, and if im being honest, the epiphone almost felt like a more premium item in my hands. But the lighter weight of the gibson is actually way more comfortable, the neck profile is nicer to me, and the satin finish feels great.

So long story short.. I own a gibson!
The first is nice, specially for a wall hanger. The last is what matters if it is to be played.

Knoby

Reaction score
I finally got around to posting a sample of my 2018 tribute gold top. I love this thing, over my epiphone because.... Gibson.

It feels great, sounds great, plays great... But I don't. This thing rocks.

RobV

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in this case.
I see '59s keeping their value. Its a Custom Shop Limited Edition Run
My Epi G400 had that printed on the back of the headstock to.....$1300 for a MIC Epi? I paid $1600 for my Classic...no fookin' way am I paying that for a MIC Epi. Then again I got 2 tributes for $1200 (for both) brand spankin' new a few years ago when they use to blow out the old stock when new models came out.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard64.... Anthony the OP is new to MLP, and does not know this debate has been beat to death. Also... anyone can create a post to get more specific to his/her own questions all they want, this is what we are here for and it is his thread, so just relax and assist or just ignore and move on.
I think the reason it has been beat to death is because so many of us have had it or (in my case) still do have it. One of the great mysteries of the universe. I'd say to the OP to have the question puts you in good company.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity present itself to me to snag a '20 50's standard in a trade. I jumped at it. I now have the flipper guy I got it from trying to find me a Tribute to swap it back in on. No real complaints on the 50's. Just no real "fire" either.

Sinster

Reaction score
is the tribute as good as a higher end epiphone in general,
my 2 cents.
It's subjective and will always be subjective.

Define good? Good guitar to me is something that sounds good, feels good, and not what it cost. I have a $80 Squier Affinity Telecaster that I think sounds and plays great. I would take it over a lot of "USA" made Telecasters.

Resale value is all relative.

Congrats on your new guitar.

atkinsg

Reaction score
I had the epi 59 for a day as it arrived to my house shipped with a cracked neck so I had to return it to L&M.
They didn’t have any more coming for a while so I bought a new 2020 tribute which I love.
The 59 was a nice guitar and I would have kept it if it was not damaged.

The plastic satin like finish on the 59 seemed a bit odd to me though and I did not like it as much as the satin finish on the Gibson.
The neck one the tribute is so comfortable.
The Pickups in the 59 were awesome but so are the pickups in the tribute .
Happy Gibson owner here.

Nintari

Reaction score
I would always go Gibson over Epiphone. Even if the particular Gibson I was looking at was defective and the Epiphone next to it was perfect, I'd leave and wait until more Gibsons came in.

Latest Threads