Les Paul Tribute vs epiphones

Anthony8801

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been debated to death already, but I have the opportunity to get a year old tribute for about $50 canadian more than a brand new epi 59 les paul.

I know... different guitars... but im sort of a gibson newbie and want to know if the lowest gibsons les paul is better than the highest epiphone les paul.

Gibson comes with awesome bag vs epi awesome case.

Gibson 490 vs gibson burst buckers

Gibson nitro satin finish vs epiphone beautiful flame top

They seem very similar to me, is there any major advantages of the gibson over the epi?

I probably just want the gibson headstock... lol

Wrench66

Reaction score
It’s probably going to come down to your thoughts on nitro. Many come on here and complain about finish defects on Gibsons stating how their epis are the shiznit. I personally love the feel of nitro. I love how it ages, how the clear coat ambers over time. And I detest thick poly finishes. These, of course, are my own opinions. You may love poly finishes and that’s ok. Epis are fine guitars and you should spend your money on what makes you happy.

If you do decide to get a tribute, try it in person first if possible. I have a 2018 gold top tribute that a freaking love.

Anthony8801

Reaction score
It’s probably going to come down to your thoughts on nitro. Many come on here and complain about finish defects on Gibsons stating how their epis are the shiznit. I personally love the feel of nitro. I love how it ages, how the clear coat ambers over time. And I detest thick poly finishes. These, of course, are my own opinions. You may love poly finishes and that’s ok. Epis are fine guitars and you should spend your money on what makes you happy.

If you do decide to get a tribute, try it in person first if possible. I have a 2018 gold top tribute that a freaking love.
Thats a great answer, thanks man.

I do love the satin/thin finishes way better than the high gloss poly. I have a fender road worn tele with a similar thin nitro and I love the feel. I think I will love the feel of the tribute, and I will for sure try it out before I buy

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a 2017 gibby GT tribute and a couple of epis.if you can try them both out get the one you like the best,screw resale value.that only matters if you bought the wrong one and have to sell.
TBH mine get about the same almount of playing time and are all good instruments.

Anthony8801

Reaction score
I'd go Epiphone.
The 50's neck, full thickness, flame top, satin finish and better pickups does it for me.
Also, in this case the Epipone will retain resale price better than the Gibson
I feel like the epiphone is on par, if not better than the gibson, and the pickups seem nearly identical from what I've heard online. I think its the gibson allure...

As for resale, the gibson is used, so a lot cheaper than the retail price (1800 after taxes here in Canada) whereas the epiphone can only be bought brand new right now for 1300 after taxes. So I think the gibson is the better financial bet as I wont lose any money if I sell it.

I'm also debating an epi 50s standard gold top which is only $1000.

Knoby

Reaction score
The tribute does have a slightly thinner body than gib or epi standard LPs.

I'm not saying its better or worse. Just different.

But the finish on the neck feels great once it's Brocken in.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
The tribute does have a slightly thinner body than gib or epi standard LPs.

I'm not saying its better or worse. Just different.

But the finish on the neck feels great once it's Brocken in.
I have never heard where Gibson Tributes have thinner bodies than a Standard. Where does this information come from?

Waldquelle

Reaction score
Id go for the Gibson. You could always sell a used guitar for a similar price you bought it. A new one instantly drops in value once its out of the store. Especially if its a MIC mass produced instrument.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
It really depends on the specific guitar and your expectations. Epiphones are great guitars and the times when they were not as good as Gibsons are over.

The ProBucker are great pickups and the Epiphones come either with a good setup out of the case or need just a little setup. But the ones I've played were incredible guitars! Especially the higher priced ones such as the Customs or Signature models.
You might be interested in installing a better bridge?! But this is nothing you'd have to do... The Gibson hardware isn't any better.
But when I changed the bridge from Epiphone or Gibson to Faber it was a big step forward.

endial

Reaction score
I have never heard where Gibson Tributes have thinner bodies than a Standard. Where does this information come from?
This forum, generally quoting stat pages from Gibson.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
OK...these folks say they are the same. Seeing how they are all sanded by hand I would think there would be variations among all of them. :dunno:

KStopper65

Reaction score
OK...these folks say they are the same. Seeing how they are all sanded by hand I would think there would be variations among all of them. :dunno:

Thats the Traditional, not the Tribute

filtersweep

Reaction score
I have never owned an Epiphone. I own four Gibsons ranging from a Tribute to Standard to R8. The Tribute is great bang for the buck.... makes me question owning my Standards.

I suggest that a Gibson will hold its value better. A Tribute finish is not the same as other Gibson finishes--- sure, it is nitro, but the grain isn't filled. However this means it won't ever feel sticky.

A Tribute definitely has a thinner body. There should be no debate there. My Tribute is feather light-- and I love it for that. Tone is great. No binding? Who cares!

Latest Threads