Les Paul Tribute and Fender 57 Custom Champ

mbabst

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new Fender 57 Custom champ and a 2019 Les Paul Tribute.

I‘m not sure if everything is okay. At what volume does your Champ start to break up with the Volume pot on the Les Paul on 10? On what volume do you get crunchy rythm sounds?

Cheers, Martin

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya... It's funny how people (myself included) have/had the impression that the tweed amps were clean, like the ultralinear series that CBS put out.
The Champ/Princeton are probably tied for #2 behind the Tweed Deluxe as the most recorded amps in classic rock.

mbabst

Reaction score
I know it's not clean, but for a nice natural Overdrive I need at least 7 on the amps volume knob and 10 on bridge/neck volume on my Les Paul. Just wanna know if that's the case with yours too. If yes, it's pretty loud then and for my home use there's no way around an Overdrive.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
If you want singing sustain and crunch at television or a living room volume without an overdrive, you probably need the studio classic 20 from Marshall, the SC20.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new Fender 57 Custom champ and a 2019 Les Paul Tribute.

I‘m not sure if everything is okay. At what volume does your Champ start to break up with the Volume pot on the Les Paul on 10? On what volume do you get crunchy rythm sounds?

Cheers, Martin
In my home that Champ would be too loud used as described, with your Les Paul. Cjsinsla's recommendation about the Marshall SC would probably work for you. I use an Orange Dark Terror with both my Les Paul's and for clear tone, I need their volume controls nearly full on most of the time.....and that is operating my amp at its 7-watt side. Still quite loud for home use.....it has no master volume to knock volume back And is a single channel amp. I like amp drive too. It is a compromise of sorts, you understand.

Classicplayer

Cjsinla

Reaction score
For the record, the Champ has it’s own sound and is great at TV volume, it’s just a little on the sweet side.

rich85

Reaction score
Around 7 gives you some classic rock tones. It stays very clean until then.

joff

Reaction score
I know it's not clean, but for a nice natural Overdrive I need at least 7 on the amps volume knob and 10 on bridge/neck volume on my Les Paul. Just wanna know if that's the case with yours too. If yes, it's pretty loud then and for my home use there's no way around an Overdrive.
This is why i bought a Fender EC Vibro Champ...it has a switch to knock it down to 1.25W and it works a treat...and my daughter loves using the built-in valve driven tremolo too.
DSCF0016.JPG

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want singing sustain and crunch at television or a living room volume without an overdrive, you probably need the studio classic 20 from Marshall, the SC20.
The SC can get that quiet? Being single channel and 20 watts, I'd think it'd have to get louder than that:eek2:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
The SC can get that quiet? Being single channel and 20 watts, I'd think it'd have to get louder than that:eek2:
No, the JCM800 amps cascade the preamp tubes for extra gain, you turn the pre-amp volume up to 10 and crack open the master volume. Your tastes may vary. I usually run my 50 and 100 watt versions with the pre-amp volume at around 5 and a couple of them start to feed back a little at way below rehearsal or gig volume.

Latest Threads