Les Paul Style Build With Silky Oak

mistermikev

Reaction score
this guy - "how could I make a les paul more heavy.... hold my beer I've got an idea". can't argue with results... I'd play the crap out of that regardless of the weight 'cause it's gorgeous! nice work.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That top looks fabulous, I love it, amber tint suits it well. I'd rather see that than yet another flame maple + tomato sunburst, any day.

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
How heavy is it?
Well Knoby that's a very interesting question especially when you read the hoary old threads which go something like " True Les Pauls aren't weight relieved. " And the guys bat back and forth on what weight does for tone etc etc.

This guitar is weight relieved with a decent sized void under the left side lower bout. So at the moment as it stands it weighs 6lb 8oz. I've been building lighter guitars for a while now as my right shoulder is basically "buggered".

I have a quiet jam most Fridays where small amps are the order of the day. I just take along a Fender Champ and a Marshall Blues Breaker pedal. That's basically all I need.

Last edited:

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Knoby that's a very interesting question especially when you read the hoary old threads which go something like " True Les Pauls aren't weight relieved. " And the guys bat back and forth on what weight does for tone etc etc.

This guitar is weight relived with a decent sized void under the left side lower bout. So at the moment as it stands it weighs 6lb 8oz. I've been building lighter guitars for a while now as my right shoulder is basically "buggered".

I have a quiet jam most Fridays where small amps are the order of the day. I just take along a Fender Champ and a Marshall Blues Breaker pedal. That's basically all I need.
And then I guess add about 2lbs for all the hardware? Playing comfort is a big deal for me too, taking the weight from the lower bout could help with balance too. Looking forward to seeing it fitted out and hearing about how it plays.

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
And then I guess add about 2lbs for all the hardware? Playing comfort is a big deal for me too, taking the weight from the lower bout could help with balance too. Looking forward to seeing it fitted out and hearing about how it plays.
A very good estimate sir, I think you've done this before.

Given the light weight Kluson style tuners, Gotoh bridge/tailpiece and the Humbuckers my back of an envelope calculation gives me the weight of 1lb 8oz for the hardware. So I'm looking at a possible complete weight of 8lb.

lowatter

Reaction score
Beautiful and unique. Nicely done mate. Your back yard is beautiful as well. Sponsor me and my wife!

Latest Threads