Les Paul Studio refinish.

dixiethedog

Reaction score
I started this refinish ages ago, it must be a couple of year's back, so for one reason or another yesterday I thought Id pull it out of hiding and do a bit more. What really happened is that I had seen a s/h LP for sale locally and due to my hesitation in making the call somebody beat me to it. So the second best option...just try to finish this guitar.
To recap where it started, it was a horrid thick and still sticky feeling dark wine red Studio. It was cheap when I bought it. It played horribly and I didnt like it, but I could see some interesting marking's in the wood under the Gibson finish. Hmm... I thought...a project... and all done I hope for an all out budget of well under £500.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

dixiethedog

Reaction score
It's that long ago that I started this that I dont remember what the colour of the finish is correctly called? Yellow perhap's? lol I must have decided at some point to loosley put the part's back into position and even add a set of strings so that I could strum it. But it was still very much unfinished.

Attachments

Reactions: Who

dixiethedog

Reaction score
One of the thing's I hate about the lower end Gibson is the gold Gibson headstock decal. So I decided to put a 70-80's style Gibson inlay into the gold decal's place. This is where I picked up yesterday. But without any photo's. The area around the new inlay was looking more grey than black, so I decided Id try to gently blow some black into the area's of grey to make thing's look a touch better. The picture here must have been for a year or two back.

Attachments

dixiethedog

Reaction score
So yesterday a little black paint was added. The only problem is the black I used isnt as black as the untouched part's of the headstock. Ive just had to touch in the top corner which when dried I'll lightly sand back to hopefully blend in before deciding if I should then add some nitro clear or abandon ship and just buy a new headstock overlay?

Attachments

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Ive ordered supplies (yesterday) from the UK paint company Rothko and Frost. I'll have to order some chocolate leather dye (Badly Drawn Les used this on his fingerboard on one of his refinishes and it looked great) to do something with the horribly coloured (Im english) (color...) fingerboard.
Once the new material's arrive I'll push on to do some work on the guitar. At the moment the rear is just stripped back bare wood.

Attachments

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Im sitting here thinking that if this has taken me a couple of years so far I should be patient enough to wait a couple of month's or so for the nitro cellulose to harden before I think about putting it all back together. It should be playable again by 2020. lol

Last edited:

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Im going to order some new fingerboard inlay's too. I dont know how one of the inlays is damaged and missing high up the neck? And I'd like to get rid of the horrible (in my opinion) gold hardware. I'll report back once I have some work done on the guitar. Just dont be sitting there holding your breath for updates. You'll probably die. :rofl:

judson

Reaction score
i stripped two wine studios and the maple tops i got were ok...

you got very lucky on that one, i am sure it is going to look great....and with a honey or lemon finish i am guessing? that will be super

dont make us wait to 2020 :fingersx:

dixiethedog

Reaction score
Thank you Judson for the kind comment.
Ive actually sprayed the rear of the guitar today (dark rich mahogany) and I hate it. Its back to the drawing board. lol It may take a bit more time. :rofl:

judson

Reaction score
Thank you Judson for the kind comment.
Ive actually sprayed the rear of the guitar today (dark rich mahogany) and I hate it. Its back to the drawing board. lol It may take a bit more time. :rofl:
what did you spray on it...a color or dye?

i left the sides and back alone after stripping and just hit them with some clear laquer......i like that look on all LPs

the tops i tried a honey lemon and the other i went with black laquer ...i like em alot more now that the wine is gone

dixiethedog

Reaction score
what did you spray on it...a color or dye?

i left the sides and back alone after stripping and just hit them with some clear laquer......i like that look on all LPs

the tops i tried a honey lemon and the other i went with black laquer ...i like em alot more now that the wine is gone
Luckily I sprayed the dark mahogany on, it's a coloured nitro. This should sand/acetone/strip off without having to sand into the wood as it would have I used a dye. It's a bit of a pain in the neck to have to redo thing's but at the end of the day it's all about experimenting and learning how to do thing's. Im doing a heavy relic refinish on another guitar which again is experimentation and very much a learning process. Ive added a pic of this. I have really cool micro checking but I havent a clue as to how I did it! ? Guitar refinishing is good fun.
2011-12-31 23.00.00-82.jpg

I think a honey lemon finish sounds nice.