Les Paul Studio Faded

SvdH

Reaction score
Right, i've yust fallen in love. Cruising the Gibson site i saw this one, and i must say...love at first sight! I can't keep my eyes of it, i yust love the brown wooden finish!
I now play a somwhat modified Epiphone dot and I like it, but i've always found the Les Paul to have a vibe and tone that only the Les has.

So... Anyone who owns one and who could tell me a little more about it? (and dont tell anyone... i actually shouldent be looking at another guitar right now :fingersx:)

hockeyplayr

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 model and love it compared to my ibanez. I think the newer ones come with burstbuckers compared to the 490/498 pickup combo in mine. It's my first Gibson so I don't know how they compare but I doubt you will be disappointed if you get one. I came from a $700 ibanez and was blown away that I could have basically gotten this studio for cheaper when I bought that guitar.

Diocletian

Reaction score
There's a ton of threads about these, just have a look back a few pages or do a search.

sonar1

Reaction score
I have a 2010 version with a mahogany cap on the mahogany body.

That pic looks like possibly maple, which may now be the current spec for the brown Studio Faded. Likely brighter still, though mine has enough for my purposes.

The Burstbucker Pro pickups work well for my purposes and guitar styles either clean or distorted.

The neck on mine is I think the '59 shape, which is slightly bigger than many "C" shapes, and a nice hand full. I prefer it to the slim '60's profile found on some other Les Pauls.

The body is chambered and fairly light. Nice resonance unplugged. Good and "crispy" through the amp. A little "airier" than a vintage Les Paul perhaps, but plenty of sustain and I love the character. It's midrangey like a Les Paul should sound, but has character and versatility for what I'm looking for in general utility guitar duties from (almost) jazz to country, blues, and several Rock catagories. I'm not much a Metal type guy so can't really say.

Like I said, the maple capped versions may sound different.

The Refugee

Reaction score
Pardon my thread derailment, but is the guitar in your (OP) avatar yours? If it is what guitar is that, it's beautiful!

Yaff

Reaction score
Also had a 2008 Studio Worn Brown with BB Pro`s and Mahogany Top. Fantastic feel and tone, although a bit darker than the Standard.

If the new spec includes a maple top, it will probably have a tone that is between the 08 Standard (BB Pro`s & Chambered) and Standard versions of the Studio (only difference being the pickups).

As always, play before you buy, as specs can be misleading. All the best

SvdH

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I went to the local guitar shop today and they had one in stock, played it...but i couldn't quite catch the feeling of the neck. It felt like gibson forgot to sand it. You could feel all the little (and big) bumps in the wood.

Bummer! I really digged the tone and the looks, but the neck was not for me. Might try out a different one in another shop one of these days to see if it might have been a dud.

@The Refugee, yep! That's my trusty Epi Dot right there!

sonar1

Reaction score
Yeah they don't even fill the pores in the mahogany on the Fadeds.

I'm ok with it. I like a guitar that feels organic vs that plastic poly feel a lot of current Fenders give you (I mean, in the same price range).

SvdH

Reaction score
Would it be possible to apply the filler yourself?

sonar1

Reaction score
Not after the fact over whatever they put on there for finish.

You could smooth the neck off with a ScotchBrite pad and some FingerEase.

Or strip and re-finish, which negates the savings of buying a Studio faded.

Paul_Cat

Reaction score
I feel the exact same way! There's just something about an unfinished looking instrument that calms me and makes me think of just strumming chords away during a sunset in a field of wheat on a stack of hay.

But seriously, I was torn between a faded brown and a wine red. I think the brown is going to win:hmm:.

Now we just need to find this new version with the maple cap:)

Ed Man

Reaction score
I have 2010 Worn brown model. Mahogany cap and BB pickups. My neck feel very smooth so I guess it comes down to the individuality of each guitar. I would say keep looking, cause they are very nice guitars if you find one that connects with you.

sonar1

Reaction score
I have 2010 Worn brown model. Mahogany cap and BB pickups. My neck feel very smooth so I guess it comes down to the individuality of each guitar. I would say keep looking, cause they are very nice guitars if you find one that connects with you.

+1

I love mine. Feels great.

It feels a bit cruder than really fine satin necks, but nothing like sticky shiney necks either.

rapaul76

Reaction score
I bought the Faded Cherry two weeks ago and I love it! Like you, I couldn't take my eyes off of this guitar. I was searching youtube for reviews and videos of people playing so I could get a better sense of the tone and what people thought. For the price point, you can't go wrong! Do yourself a favour and buy this guitar. :slash:

User100

Reaction score
I recently gave this a once over........

The 2011 Maple top faded finish is relatively poor compared to my 2006 Vintage Mahogany, The neck profile on the 2011 is a tad thinner as well.

The overall build seems a bit inferior as well.

I am kinda bummed as I really wanted to buy the Faded Cherry..................

Based on my observations I just can't do it.

I'm gonna start shopping for A nice used VM.

jimmyq

Reaction score
I was in a guitar shop on Denmark Street the other day, and some guy was trying out one of these.

I have to say, it sounded sweeeeeet. Good price too. :thumb:

Milamber

Reaction score
I've modified mine a little bit (poker chip is gone also, but this picture is older)

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is the VM model. I like the raw feel of the finish. It is just something a little different from my others.

sonar1

Reaction score
Mine is the VM model. I like the raw feel of the finish. It is just something a little different from my others.
Just missed on a used one like the pic last year at a great price.:doh:
It was gone when I went back for it.

That may have started the whole obsession that went on until I scored my 2010 Faded brown.

It'll do, but to be honest I liked the other as a GREAT guitar generally, with that red hue on the top a little better, and it was a gone before I turned around and blinked.

studio1087

Reaction score
I think they're nice guitars.

It's a "less is more" type appreciation.

I like the feel of the woodgrain......it makes a simpler and honest guitar. My Faded SG is one of the liveliest (when played unplugged) guitars that I own. The lively top translates to great tone when plugged in.

One of my favorite eBay searches is "faded gibson" just because I see so many great deals on barely used Faded Gibson guitars.

Deals Deals Deals - Linky

Latest Threads