Les Paul String Gauge help?

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Neck relief is your friend.
Well tf, i just took it out of the case to check it one last time before i head out to the shop and now the buzz is for the most part gone and i adjusted the bridge slightly and now its pretty much gone......

I repeat... TF oOo!
Fk it im still having it checked cquse i messed around all over the place minus truss rod adjustment.... i imagine you wanna be a lil experienced before fking with the truss rod xD

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Ok, the low e string buzzes 4th fret up, buzzes and tapers out quicker than it should. seems to be hitting on the frets. You also get a slight sound that sounds like someone doing a bad hammer on when plecking it at times
The A string is fine though.
Adjusting the bridge gets rid of some of that buzz but not all.
Im gonna bring it to my tech but yeah thats whats happening
Do you have a capo? If so, put it on the first fret. Then fret the low-E string at the very highest fret. Take a look at the space between the top of the 7th fret and the bottom of the string. That will tell you how much or how little "relief" you have. The fingerboard should be slightly concave to allow the strings to clear the higher frets.

Your tech will do all this, but it is good to know.

You'll want to buy a feeler guage (Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc) as one of your first guitar tools. I'd suggest cleaning out a spare tool box or buying a new one and dedicating it to your guitar tools (strings, winders, TR wrenches, feeler gauge, wire cutters, long metal rulers, etc). You'll collect them over time.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
I'd suggest cleaning out a spare tool box or buying a new one and dedicating it to your guitar tools (strings, winders, TR wrenches, feeler gauge, wire cutters, long metal rulers, etc). You'll collect them over time.
That's a great idea. I have three roll aways and dedicated tools and tool boxes for damn near everything you can think of but for some reason I never once considered a dedicated box for all my guitar tools. Time to go tool box shopping! Wooohoooo!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
That's a great idea. I have three roll aways and dedicated tools and tool boxes for damn near everything you can think of but for some reason I never once considered a dedicated box for all my guitar tools. Time to go tool box shopping! Wooohoooo!
I've got one with the see through lid on the top with all the little compartments. That way I can see whats in there and have quick access to batteries, soldering stuff, a bunch of 90° and straight instrument plugs, fingernail files, Grolsch washers, string winders, etc.

Deftone

Reaction score
I've got one with the see through lid on the top with all the little compartments. That way I can see whats in there and have quick access to batteries, soldering stuff, a bunch of 90° and straight instrument plugs, fingernail files, Grolsch washers, string winders, etc.
Brilliant idea. I actually have a couple of parts bins full of stuff, and my pedal board is a wedge box with hinges so I can open the top and I keep parts and tools in there too. Most of my tools are in different boxes for other stuff which is why I don't have a dedicated guitar tool box, I'd have to get another set of tools and dedicate them just for guitar stuff.

But I really need to get it all in one place. I'm always running back and forth out to the garage, my office, master bedroom, to get all the stuff I need. I'll have to pile it all up and see just how big a box I will need. Could be another roll away.

Always wanted a Gerstner...…

https://gerstnerusa.com/index.php?route=common/home

CB91710

Reaction score
Neck relief is your friend.
Going up to 11s should have increased his relief.
String tension, tension on the truss rod, possibly sitting higher in the nut, everything about going from 9's to 11's should work to reduce fret buzz.
My money is on a loose saddle. My '19 is really bad about this and I can get a nasty buzz if I tune down to pitch, rather than tuning up.

CB91710

Reaction score
Brilliant idea. I actually have a couple of parts bins full of stuff, and my pedal board is a wedge box with hinges so I can open the top and I keep parts and tools in there too. Most of my tools are in different boxes for other stuff which is why I don't have a dedicated guitar tool box, I'd have to get another set of tools and dedicate them just for guitar stuff.

But I really need to get it all in one place. I'm always running back and forth out to the garage, my office, master bedroom, to get all the stuff I need. I'll have to pile it all up and see just how big a box I will need. Could be another roll away.

Beautiful box... Can't afford that, but I can afford the knockoff....

nauc

Reaction score
fwiw, my 2016 GLP Studio came with 9-46s

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Ok has my paul worked on, he adjusted the saddle and a slight tweak to the truss rod, and now im good ouo he said that since he adjusted it last time for the absolute maximum lowness of action the change in gauge had caused the issue.
I ordered that book you guys recommended and am gonna go wild on my epiphone sg and squire tele getting practice for multiple styles

Thanks for all the help

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Also saw something in the shop im really considering getting and putting in my 60s standard.
They had a set of pearly gates humbuckers selling for 90$ o-o

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
All my LPs and other Gibsons I bought prior to Gibson changing their
strings to 9s. They all came with 10s, as was the Gibson way years back.
I only went down one size to 9-42s or 9-46s and had no problems with buzz, etc.
I even tried 9.5s and no problem. Not a huge drop but it worked.

With age, mine, not the guitars, I may be going down to 8's. Will deal with it
when I cross that bridge.

jdto

Pretend Human
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don’t put heavy gauge strings on your guitar. That leads to violence and mouth punching.

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Omg xD i put my usual Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies back on it and had him adjust it for those. Relax people xD

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Also had quite the strange experience at a guitar center today (finally got my prs mt 15 head)
I tried the head on a couple cabs, cabs do effect sound my friends, and they were disinfecting the guitars and cables i used to test stuff out on with some concoction in a spray bottle xD i worry for the guitars cause they were spraying it directly on the fingerboard o-o

Tone deaf

Reaction score

Always wanted one of those. I could never make sense of the price.

I have a separate set of tools for my guitars (i.e. separate from my regular household tools). They don't commingle, although in times of need, I do use guitar tools for other purposes.

When I get re-situated in a new, long-term domicile, I am going to dedicate one of my large rolling tool boxes just to guitar. I have built a guitar table (soft protective fabric and neck support) and have ideas on how to make it better.

I like caring for and fixing guitars as much as I like playing them.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Always wanted one of those. I could never make sense of the price.

I have a separate set of tools for my guitars (i.e. separate from my regular household tools). They don't commingle, although in times of need, I do use guitar tools for other purposes.

When I get re-situated in a new, long-term domicile, I am going to dedicate one of my large rolling tool boxes just to guitar. I have built a guitar table (soft protective fabric and neck support) and have ideas on how to make it better.

I like caring for and fixing guitars as much as I like playing them.
100% agree on everything you said. As someone pointed out, Harbor Freight has a nice alternative to the Gerstners. Harbor Freight also make a pretty nice wood working table that isn't too expensive either and looks like it would make a fine guitar repair workbench with plenty of tool storage.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html

CB91710

Reaction score
LOL! I read the URL and my eye caught "60-in-4" and I was thinking "Why don't they call it 15-in-1?"

burke

Reaction score
Neck relief always needs attention, if the climate shifts so does your guitar.
I stepped back from .011"s to .010"s, now to .009"s. In my opinion, .009's really opened up the playability of my LP. It always played well but now I want to play it more.
Rick Beato did a side by side test of string gauges and it was really interesting. It seemed to me that the lighter gauges sounded better.

Latest Threads