Les Paul String Gauge help?

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
Got a new les paul and i usually use ernie ball hybrid slinkys but figured id try out some power slinkys. I bought them and didn't really think after years of using used guitars who's nuts were pretty much wore out that maybe i might need to adjust the nut slots on a new guitar?

Aka im asking can i just throw these bad boys on my new les paul and not worry :v
They are 11 14 18p 28 38 48 guages.
Do i really even need to worry bout this?
Is nut adjustments only ever needed if your getting into crazy guages?
Heck i dont even know what guage this factory nut is cut for xD.

The models im looking to restring is a
1: 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ocean Water Perimeter Quilt top
2: Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard Bourbon Burst.

Thank you for your knowledge

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

judson

Reaction score
Wellp, i put em on and now my low e string is buzzing hard af guess i need to loosen that side of the bridge some to raise it and account for the thocker strings?

maybe just a slight quarter or half turn.....

fatter gauge should have cause the string to sit above the nut some.....

so i dont understand the buzz

but a set up from scratch would be best for you...

got a pic of the nut you can post here?

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
maybe just a slight quarter or half turn.....

your nut slot should have cause the string to sit above the nut some.....so i dont understand the buzz

but a set up from scratch would be best for you...
Yeah i jad it set up when i first got it but it had the factory strings. Im gonna throw my usual strings on it tomorrow and see if the buzz is still there if it is jist gonna bring it to the nice 70 yr old man who works magic on guitars in my town.
These power slinkies were mainly just me being curious

judson

Reaction score
leave what you got on there and try the slight bridge adjust

alot of utube set up vids online to watch would help you as well

if you bring it to the old guy, listen and watch if he has the time for you...

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
ok watch the old man.....he may tweak it and give you a quick bit of advice...

alot of utube set up vids online to watch would help you as well
True its jist usually people on here are really great at teaching me things haha. I suppose this is more of a need to see done rather than told though

judson

Reaction score
you are correct but dont be afraid to try it yourself...thats how you learn

this is the best place for info....

and you get alot of kidding but dont take it personally...great group here

Just(A)Theory

Reaction score
you are correct but dont be afraid to try it yourself...thats how you learn

this is the best place for info....

and you get alot of kidding but dont take it personally...great group here
Yeaaahhh i kinda did on earlier comments o-o was kinda freaking out cause this is my first really high end guitar haha beforw this all i had was a squire bullet strat and a esp ltd ec 256. But i have my other guitar and im kinda copying the set up of it and the buzzing is going away so woot.
Still gonna have old man pops check it out

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just, nevermind some of these magpies. This is the backstage, and there's a lot of goofing and old in-jokes.

A guy once started a thread, "anyone who uses light gauge strings needs a punch in the mouth ".

It sorta took off for like 100 pages.

Something in purple font means we're kidding.

Led Paul's are usually cut for .010-.046. But there should be enough room in the nut slots for your .011 set. If it binds when tuning (you loosen the tuner, yet the string stays in pitch), then you'll have some slot fitting to do.

Sustainium

Reaction score
Do t be afraid to change string size and make adjustments, that is what the adjustments are there for. It is not uncommon to make adjustments replacing strings with the same size even, it happens. Look up the string height measurements to give you something to work with. If buzzing can’t be solved within spec you might have to slightly raise string higher.

Learn to measure neck relief, measure string height, measure pickup height and check intonation. Just being able to check these things and slowly make an adjustment as you feel more confident puts you on your way to maintaining your own guitars. Always take notice or a picture of an adjustment before making a change so you can easily change it back if needed.

Then after you have that figured out pick up a Floyd Rose Tremolo equipped guitar and let the fun begin...lol

meatball

Reaction score
Been using .009-.042 for about 20 years ... 17 with my Les Paul ... no issues .. I had the nut from Day one on this Les Paul .. The key is getting the intonation right ... Can only speak for myself ,,,

Latest Threads