Les Paul Standard silkscreen location

vagabond09

Reaction score
I posted about my friend's Gibson 2005 having a strange truss rod cavity a few days back. But I've noticed another interesting thing. I know that silk screen Les Paul logos aren't specially positioned "historically" correctly on Standard models. But I've noticed that the 2004 (my guitar) and my friend's 2005 Standards have different placements of the silk screen logo. I believe the 2004 placement is the norm for Standards, but after some google search, I've another 2005 Standard with the same placement as my friend's where the silk screen is placed a lot closer to the truss rod cover. Is this something Gibson has been doing? Another QC issue perhaps because while googling, some 2005 Standards seem to have the same logo placement as the 2004 one, too. Am I just over thinking things? :)

Here's 2004 Standard

KakaoTalk_20191106_051818608.jpg

And 2005 Standard

KakaoTalk_20191106_051817331.jpg

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Not a huge difference but i think this is a fascinating topic im still a newbie but I look forward to replies!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically correct would mean as in the 1950’s models,... but even the early 50s models are located differently than late 50s.... even the Gibson mop inlay changed positions in the 1950s.

The silk screen has been in different location throughout the years though from the 1970s to today the silk screen has never been in the historically correct position as the late 1950 models..... even on the Standards.

Only the Historic reissues have the silk screen in the relatively correct position. With the exception of early Classics and prehistoric models.

So basically the Standard has the silk screen located in the mid to lower position were as the historically correct would be closer to the mop inlay as with the CS Historics.

Last edited:

vagabond09

Reaction score
Historically correct would mean as in the 1950’s models,... but even the early 50s models are located differently than late 50s.... even the Gibson mop inlay changed positions in the 1950s.

The silk screen has been in different location throughout the years though from the 1970s to today the silk screen has never been in the historically correct position as the late 1950 models..... even on the Standards.

Only the Historic reissues have the silk screen in the relatively correct position. With the exception of early Classics and prehistoric models.

So basically the Standard has the silk screen located in the mid to lower position were as the historically correct would be closer to the mop inlay as with the CS Historics.
Thanks so much for the info, Mudface.
I know that a lot of enthusiasts highly demand for the historically correct specs and whatnot. It doesn't really matter to me as the guitar itself is important. But something interesting that I found was that aside from the 2005 Standards, all the other years of Standards seem to have a consistent placement of the silk screen logo which is right between the pegs of the 6th+1st and the 4th+3rd pegs.
I'm currently residing here Seoul, South Korea and they have a huge used guitar site. I checked out all the 2005 Standards and they all seem to be inconsistent with the silk screen position. Some are right between the pegs, some are a little lower to the truss rod cover, and some are like my friends. Pretty interesting.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I'm going with "over thinking things"... at least that's what I'd be telling myself :)

Latest Threads