Les Paul standard questions

Luckyhands

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while. I'm a strat player but am now wanting to purchase a LP. So as any poor student would, I've been researching into all the types of LP.

Firstly I was wondering which month did Gibson start producing the new shaped 2008 standards?

Looking at the current gibson line up, the two LPs that fall into my price range would be either the trad or the standard - When looking on ebay and some shops I see that the standard is sometimes advertised as having a 50s neck e.g. "Les Paul Standard Desert Burst 50s neck" - as the new standards have the asymmetrical neck presumably this is an older LP standard?
Looking at some online shops the Les Paul Standard Desert Burst 50s neck retailed for less than than a regular standard(2008) - presumably because they are older and there's been a price rise for the 2008s?

As I would ideally want to buy used a new shape 2008 model isn't essential.

Cheers

Rikochet

Reaction score
there are two styles of necks for les paul standards (well until they made the new 2008 standard) the 50's and the 60's. The 50's neck is a little larger, and the 60's neck is smaller. If your straped for cash, don't overlook the studio. The studio is pretty much the same as a standard, but missing some of the cosmetics that the standard has, like a binding, finishes are different and if im wrong somebody correct me, but i believe they have different pickups

Luckyhands

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I've seen the prices of the new standards are about £500 more than the price of the older standards - (i'm in england) Just wondering if this is because of the weak pound or just because the new LP is more expensive to produce? Because in England it's nearly a 40% increase!
As for the studio suggestion - I think I can stretch to a standard, I just want to get one for a good price (don't we all?)
Cheers

Rikochet

Reaction score
Id say go for the older standard, ive got one and i just love it. Plus if they are selling a new older standard (like trying to clear them out), im assuming they will be much cheaper

Purplepanda

Reaction score
the studios have '57 classics and the standard has burstbuckers, right?

Yea the lp standard has burstbucker pro's with alnico v. I accually own a 2008 lp standard with a honey burst finish and i lvoe it. I have the asymetrical neck. The best way i can describe it is liek a 50's neck thats liek shaved down a little bit where your thumb goes. I love this guitar and i would recommend it. If you have any questiosn about it feel free to ask

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
i also have the 2008 L.P. Standard, the neck feels a tad different at first but it is real comfortable. have you looked into other L.P. style guitars if you are on a budget? ive been eyeing Agile guitars lately and may buy one as a beater.

gmacdonnell

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a pretty big difference between the 50's shape, 60's shape and the new "asymmetrical" shape. If you can, try out a bunch of Gibsons and find out which one is most comfortable to you.

Many players who give it a fair shot love the new neck shape. It's very comfortable, and it's sort of in between the 50's and 60's shape in terms of thickness.

Since you're a Strat player, you might prefer the thinner 60's shape, but who knows: many guys swear by fat necks.

The other main issue to consider is whether it's chambered or "weight-relieved," (which technically is still chambering. The new chambered Les Pauls are much lighter, with an almost semi-hollowbody tone. It's like a Les Paul with a little ES-335 thrown in. Many like it, a few hate it, (not because it's inherently bad, but because it's not a traditional Les Paul design.)

The weight-relieved Les Pauls are still partially hollowed out, but tend to be heavier, with less an impact on the overall tone.

Personally, I think you should figure out what neck shape you like, and then just pick out a guitar that sounds and feels great to you. Too many guys get hung up on whether or not their guitar is chambered or relieved, when the tone and feel should be the priority.

Luckyhands

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After trying a few out I went to the 50s style neck. I've gotten to like thick necks - my father owns 2 yamaha SG-3000s which I like to play.

Anyway I managed to get a great deal on a 2008 (old shape) LP standard with 50s neck -desert burst.

!BP86gTgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl4NtwBJ2R0-Emyg~~_3.JPG

90a9_3.JPG

It's in mint condition. It feels lighter than other LPs I've played - due to weight relief?

Anyway some proper pictures to come soon :thumb:

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
What do you mean by old shape? The new ones are the same shape. :laugh2::laugh2:

Luckyhands

Reaction score
I meant with the old neck the 50s one- not the asymmetrical one found on the current standards.

Pics to come :)

cynic79

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After trying a few out I went to the 50s style neck. I've gotten to like thick necks - my father owns 2 yamaha SG-3000s which I like to play.

Anyway I managed to get a great deal on a 2008 (old shape) LP standard with 50s neck -desert burst.

!BP86gTgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl4NtwBJ2R0-Emyg~~_3.JPG

90a9_3.JPG

It's in mint condition. It feels lighter than other LPs I've played - due to weight relief?

Anyway some proper pictures to come soon :thumb:

Nice guitar! :thumb:

I believe that Gibson began chambering the LP standards in late 2006 or early 2007, so your guitar is chambered rather than weight relieved.

I've got a 2007 Standard in the same color with a 60's neck. Your guitar should be essentially the same as that one, except for the neck contour. It's a sweet guitar. :cool:

sweetangelhubby

Reaction score
My understanding is that some time in 2008, Gibson went from the 50's/60's style neck options to the assymentrical neck. There were a lot of other design differences that came with the assymentrical neck on the modern LP Standard. But, what I am not clear on is the whole chambering/weight relieved thing. What's the difference? Which did the 2008 LP Standards with 60's neck have?

Another question, if you don't mind... What would you guys recommend for a neck pickup? On my 2008 LP Std, I replaced the bridge burstbucker with a 500T Zebra - I learned to love the sound of them on an LP Classic. But, I want a bigger contrast in tone between the two pickups. I used to own an Ace Frehley Custom Shop LP and I really loved the sound of those DiMarzio pickups, but I wanted to get some other opinions of things I might want to try. Thanks!

Latest Threads