les paul standard 2012 platinum

abracadaben

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here :D
about to get my first les paul standard... But I have a quick question.

The 2013 standard AAA top sells at $2,600 at GC but its like 60 days back ordered (I called Gibson)

From Gibson, the 2013 doesn't really bring anything new as far as specs are concerned.
So I wanted to aim for a 2012 standard AAA top. Though the only ones available at GC are stamped Platinum and sell for $2,999....

What is the difference with Platinum? I checked but specs are the same. are they like special selections of the standards? like better wood? finish? flames?
thx!

agent45

Reaction score
I think "Platinum" is just GC's way of listing very popular guitars. No actual difference in the guitar specs. I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Desert Burst, AAA flame top...Beautiful.

oachs83

Reaction score
mmm interesting. so why are they tagged so high?

Just wait, about 3 weeks ago I hit all the guitar center's in the twin cities. I was interested in a 2012 standard plus like you. They had amber, light burst, and cherry burst. For some reason the cherry was marked $2999 and the others $2599. I asked why the cherry was so high and I got a bs no good answer. I lifted the tag off it and sure enough $2599 behind the $2999 tag. The last GC I was at that day (there is four) the cherry was at $2599 the guy had me try it as it was their only one and as I was another guy came up and put a tag on it after I was done that was for $2999. He said if you want it they will honor the cheaper price. I didn't want cherry but asked why the hike. He said it's annoying, GC will do it for a couple weeks then lower it again to give it that "price drop" label. He did say they do honor any dealer online price. So my suggestion is wait a bit it will drop again. Find it cheaper online. Or get super super lucky like me and order a 2012 standard premium plus online haggle the price down to $1999 and have them accidentally send you a 2013 standard plus that I don't believe is really all out to the public yet. But I was just lucky. Sweetwater will deal there 2012 standards at $2000 and that's no sales tax as well.

abracadaben

Reaction score
Ah, I wish I had known. well I got it down to $2,499 for price match, but they would not use my coupon. its either the price match or the coupon...
lets see if it ships today, if not I might just cancel my order and place it somewhere else.

abracadaben

Reaction score
actually its funny because sweetwater has the cherry SB at $2,499 but all the other finishes are $2,999

abracadaben

Reaction score
BTW if you got the 2013 desert burst, those are in stock. its the only finish in stock right now I believe.

abracadaben

Reaction score
thanks oachs83!! I called back GC and said I would cancel my order. They dropped it to $2,100. Well I still pay for the pro warranty and taxes but that's fine.
still $400 cheaper than what I originally was going to pay :D

jeffy

Reaction score
After the 2013's were announced all of the 2012 Standards jumped up in price for no reason. Street price on all of them were $2499 when they first came out. Now they have staggered pricing dependent on the color.

GC's Platinum's are just their way of showcasing the guitars that are more expensive. GC has a Platinum Room in their store which usually has the more expensive guitars locked on racks. Online the platinum's have their pictures taken from different angles and such. Like some of Sweetwater and Wildwood Guitars.

Good job on pressuring them!

abracadaben

Reaction score
thanks for the platinum explanation. That's what I had in mind.
after checking its actually not only GC. Sweetwater and others have 2012 at $2,999. I guess they all aim to put the price drop after and it also allows them to absorb their 15% coupons at no cost...
Knowing that 2013 aren't in store yet, anybody buying a standard AAA like me has no choice but get the 2012 and the 2012 AAA STD are now rare.
I actually can't find the 2012 AAA on their site anymore...

Seems also that there will be more 2013 in HCSB, HB, DB... than 2012 since they took the other finishes out. hence 2012 might be more valuable (specially light burst)

As far as I am concerned, I never had any issue with returning an item to my local GC and they generally had good service and their pro warranty seems more interesting than competition.

jeffy

Reaction score
thanks for the platinum explanation. That's what I had in mind.
after checking its actually not only GC. Sweetwater and others have 2012 at $2,999. I guess they all aim to put the price drop after and it also allows them to absorb their 15% coupons at no cost...
Knowing that 2013 aren't in store yet, anybody buying a standard AAA like me has no choice but get the 2012 and the 2012 AAA STD are now rare.
I actually can't find the 2012 AAA on their site anymore...

Seems also that there will be more 2013 in HCSB, HB, DB... than 2012 since they took the other finishes out. hence 2012 might be more valuable (specially light burst)

As far as I am concerned, I never had any issue with returning an item to my local GC and they generally had good service and their pro warranty seems more interesting than competition.
Yup, a lot of the big distributors raised their prices as well. Only a few haven't. Wildwood Guitars is one of them.

I don't see the 2012's being more valuable in the short run. The 2012 line-up will be interesting to watch over time though. The future market will dictate if it's good or bad.

I haven't had any problems with GC. Although going into the Platinum Room seems to weed out the lower level sales guys. As long as you do your homework and look over the guitar in the store it's not a big deal. You can also order from online and return to the local store as well.

Be sure to post some pics of your new guitar in the http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/197561-2012-standards-lets-see-them.html thread.

oachs83

Reaction score
thanks oachs83!! I called back GC and said I would cancel my order. They dropped it to $2,100. still $400 cheaper than what I originally was going to pay :D

HELL YEAH!!! That is awesome you get the guitar you want and save a boat load of cash. I'm glad it all worked out. You were 3 posts into joining the forum and it saved you 4 big ones. Post pics when you get it.

Knowing that 2013 aren't in store yet, anybody buying a standard AAA like me has no choice but get the 2012 and the 2012 AAA STD are now rare

That's why I said earlier that I somehow got really lucky due to an obvious mixup and I recieved a 2013 Trans Amber AAA top. When I first got it I was not sure what year I really did get but sure enough through this site and what Gibson tells me it is a 2013 AAA top Standard. The kicker was I got it at a 2012 closeout price of $1999 because it was in the inventory as a 2012 AAA Standard and I think because only the 2013 AA Standards are out for sure at the time I bought mine it accidentally was marked with the 2012's I just happen to stumble on it. The guitar was built just 40 days ago. Here is the link to the thread I started with a few pictures if your interested?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gib...elieve-i-am-typing-these-3-letters-ngd-2.html

abracadaben

Reaction score
just saw your amber looks really nice!
seems like the rosewood fret board is darker like a nice ebony almost.

do you know what are the changes from the 2012? since you tried both.

I should get my HCSB monday and will make sure to post pics.
thx again! :D

oachs83

Reaction score
do you know what are the changes from the 2012? since you tried both. :D

Yes the Difference is .......... NOTHING. Seriously the wording is all. If you want to get real picky the 2012 only say on the back of the headstock "Made in USA 2012" and the 13's say "Made in USA 2013 Model". That's it. The model wording however is different.

Now a 2013 Standard is a AA top

A 2013 Standard PLus is a AAA

and a 2013 Standard Premium is a Quilted and some tops are even AAAA tops

abracadaben

Reaction score
alright! NGD for me. Just received my 2012 standard premium plus made in Nashville.
its a HCSB and I have to say that I am stoked. I was kind of crossing the fingers on the finish and honestly, probably like any AAA top, pictures do not render anywhere near what it really looks like (at least not 95% Ive seen). I just find it really beautiful.
Ill post some pics.

BTW, I didn't get the 2013 ;-) but mine was made in late september. says #38 of the production and it came straight from factory. Box was sealed, there was still the plastic on the chrome of the stop bar. Fully inspected, no defects. Seemd lighter than expected though.
now time to play and Ill post pics later!!!

Latest Threads