Les paul special tribute.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
Is it normal for these to be so sloppy? I bought my first les paul, was stoked to have an American made guitar. I open the bag, a little chunk is missing on top of headstock, cracks on the side on the top of the neck where neck meets paint. Sharp frets all over. The neck is really nice though. I realize the paint is supposed to be thin, but it's really numpy and grainy. Such a disappointment.

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd send that back. Whilst over time you'd expect fluctuations in weather conditions to lead to all of the issues you are seeing, there is no way they should be present on a new guitar.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That guitar might have been smacked around in shipping, looks cracked. Also, lower end models without neck binding can develop fret sprout, an easy fix.

Tribute models frequently are not gloss finished, stay away from them. The gloss finish is almost always superior but is more expensive to manufacture.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
send it back. looks like it took a hit during shipping.

however, don't be afraid of a satin finish.

jaygl

Reaction score
Plus one for send it back. I have a 2020 lp special tribute humbucker cherry and it came with scratches in the finish and sloppy stain work but it's a killer playing and sounding guitar. First one I ordered in white arrived with big round ding in the center of the headstock, lines down the side like yours and a stripped out strap pin. Great guitars though and love the 490's and light weight.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
Yeah I sent it back for an exchange. If I get another dud I'll move onto something else. Prs makes an affordable Mia as well.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You drew short straw on that one. Hopefully they’ll win you over on the next one. Agree that looks like shipping to me.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
The replacement is much better. Only thing I've noticed is the side of the fretboard facing me seems cut weird, edge is kinda rough and other side is smooth. But other than that sounds great, plays great.

Attachments

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna exchange it. I'll give it one more shot. Hopefully I have better luck. The neck is great to play. Thanks guys.
Mine had a small finish blemish on the top of the headstock, which on a guitar with such a thin finish isn't uncommon, but nothing near as bad as that! I'd get a replacement. I love mine.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
After further inspection, this one will likely go back because on that side of the fretboard there's a curve where the space by the second fret is very narrow much more so than the other side. Not sure if I should just get a refund and try another company or give Gibson another shot.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
Yeah I'm just gonna get a refund and move on from this. Two bad guitars is enough for me to seek other brands.

Deviljho

Reaction score
Idk man, these issues seem par for the course with a guitar at this price range. I understand not being thrilled with a new guitar having cracks and build/finish imperfections, but I’ve seen this across the board with many different manufacturers on sub-1200 guitars.

If it doesn’t affect playing and you like it, I’d keep it.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
I guess I'll give it one more chance, because I do love the rest of the guitar. The 1 mm from string to end of fretboard is too much to keep though.

Last edited:

Standard

Reaction score
Who did you get it through?

Just curious because I would love to deal with a company that ships out a replacement guitar in 2 days. Presumably without receiving the other one back first.

Romeozdistress

Reaction score
American Musical Supply. They ship it once they receive shipment notification. They ask for pictures of the guitar beforehand. One day shipping. I use their payment plan.

Latest Threads