Les Paul Special Pawn Shop Find

Oddball667

Reaction score
I basicly got a 1993 wine red les paul studio for $150 in great condition with a 30 Marshall practice amp ( solid state).
..actualy traded a 100 watt marshall (solid state halfstack ) that I payed $150 for from a guy at work that was moving .
Dont really know if that counts.

metalmike222

Reaction score
I basicly got a 1993 wine red les paul studio for $150 in great condition with a 30 Marshall practice amp ( solid state).
..actualy traded a 100 watt marshall (solid state halfstack ) that I payed $150 for from a guy at work that was moving .
Either way, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me! :)

Oddball667

Reaction score
Either way, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me! :)
Oh I was all over it , kinda funny the week before I was completely blown away about the amp find so cheap and just like "ill never get a deal like this again" and about 2 weeks later got offered the les paul for it and was completely floored....who knows what awsome gear find next week will bring lol

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Looking again at some of the details, the closest listing I can find online is this one on Guitar Center's website:
It's the only one with a gloss lacquer finish, and a tune-o-matic bridge. This one lists for $1199, and they have no new Specials at all listed for $700-800. I can only find some used Specials in that range. If you can find them brand new for $700-800, I would be happy to buy one of those instead if you can point me in that direction.
If it's this one it's worth the $$ IMO. I have one and it's a fantastic guitar.

blwha4arm10itojfetsm.jpg

metalmike222

Reaction score
That's definitely a pretty fiddle. I'm not really sure that the one I found is the Honey Burst like yours appears to be. The picture I snapped of it looks more like a solid color than a burst, but the overall coloring is really similar. It might just be a walnut Special.

Reaction score
i'll never tell another man how to spend his money so I'll avoid that topic

I will say that up until 2 weeks ago i never considered an epiphone, ever. Until I played and purchased the epiphone les paul special in tv yellow. Fat 50s neck and the p90s are killer. I hate to say it but i havent played my 50s LP Standard since I got it, its that good

Oddball667

Reaction score
i'll never tell another man how to spend his money so I'll avoid that topic

I will say that up until 2 weeks ago i never considered an epiphone, ever. Until I played and purchased the epiphone les paul special in tv yellow. Fat 50s neck and the p90s are killer. I hate to say it but i havent played my 50s LP Standard since I got it, its that good
I wasnt impressed with a friend of mines "top of the line " epiphone les paul with coil taps and all that .
Wouldnt trade my 93 standard for his 2015 epiphone in a million years. It looks great though.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Not a Gibson , but i pulled out my Jackson dinky reverse and got the floyd rose reset up with some heavy gauge stir us tuned in C# standard and it just sounds mean af now..

Oddball667

Reaction score
Oh and it was a $200 pawnshop find I orginaly bought to hang on the wall

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I personally don't really think that's a deal MM, but if YOU'RE happy with it, then that's all that matters. :)

keys88

Reaction score
That's cool. Around here we have a lot of active Facebook selling groups and a big Music Instruments section on craigslist. We also have multiple Music Go Rounds here in town as well as Sam Ash and Guitar Center. So if something filters down to the level of a pawn shop it's usually because nobody else wanted it. Lots of beat-up junk and off-brand stuff.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Guitar Center has a couple of "limited" runs listed at $1200 or so, but the normal Les Paul Special lists for $1600. That's the price both on Gibson's website and Guitar Center's. The one I found at this pawn shop is either a 2018 or 2019 if I remember correctly. I had a beat up Tobacco Burst Special YEARS ago and sold it. Always regretted letting it go. I would love to find one for $500-600, but for most part, that never happens around Austin. Too many musicians who work in pawn shops and know what they have.
I’m not sure if you know this but you should never pay the prices listed on Gibson’s or Guitar Center’s websites. Those are MSRP prices. Most guitar shops will give you 15% off that and if you’re lucky and have a good relationship 20% off MSRP. If they’re listing it for $1200 you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding it brand new for around $960 if you shop around online. And then every used guitar depreciates significantly, so $800 is decent but not as great a find as they would have you believe it is. That said if you like the guitar and it really is in new condition it’s a fair price.

rfrizz

Reaction score
A deal is a deal. Unless you are dealing with a friend who needs rent money...

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Not really such a hot price, not much of a market in the last few years for LP Speclals or Junior reissues because Gibson has saturated the market on them since the early 90's.

I paid $580 NEW for a 1960 Reissue Les Paul Special "Double Cutaway" w/ dual P-90's in black in 1996 at a local Guitar Center in So Cal. The Gibson "MSRP" then was $1450, Ha! NO ONE was getting that! I played it a few times at home, decided I diudn't like it after all and it's sat in the OHSC since 1996 MINT .... anyone want to buy it for that $1600 + shipping?? Yeah, I didn't think so.

As for the Indonesian PRS SE, ..... BFD. They're a dime a dozen x100. We get kids bring them in to my shop all the time to "trade up" or consign sale, not worth much - made in Indonesia by Cortek (aka Cort) who made our Fender Squiers back in the 90's but those were quality and made in Korea! PRS makes a completely false claim it's their factory, it isn't and they don't even have any supervisors there in Indonesia.

1996 Gibson Les Paul Special Junior 1960s x.jpg

metalmike222

Reaction score
Should I help everyone out and just buy one of these instead of the guitar? Seems more appropriate...

I kid, of course. Kinda...

Latest Threads