Les Paul Special Body Dimensions

jwc574

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how (if at all) an LP Special's body dimensions differ from a standard or a custom? Does the body size (upper/lower bout/waist) differ across models? Or in models across years? I realize the Special is a flat top but I would like to make on and the only templates that I can find are for 59 standard.

Reaction score
They are very similar except the neck joint, it's completly different. The Specials an Juiniors have a much simpler neck joint which leaves a slight bulge in the cutaway next to the neck. the others are flush.

Welcome!

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think tightpants has it pretty spot on. Keep in mind though that new Specials (Like mine) dont have the neck joint bulge. From what I can tell (Yeah, I have looked carefully) the body has the same lateral dimensions as my Gibson LP Studio (Which I expect has the same as Standards, etc.)

Vertically however, you have the obvious thinness from not using a figured top.

And the great tone of course, from those P90s...but thats not what you were asking was it? ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention the newer Juniors didn't have the older style Junior/Special neck joint.

jwc574

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Now I have no excuse not to get started. Seems the older neck joints would be stronger. Looks cool too.

txsscooter

Reaction score
Howdy folks!..
I once had a "black beauty" but she was stolen ..I'll never be able to purchase another just like her, but I do want to try to build my own ..Could someone please give me the measurements of the body..length, width, thickness..etc..etc.. I've got a nice chunk of mahogany for starters, and a pretty good neck ... unfortunatly it's a bolt on, but hey it's better than nothing ...right?
If someone could, would take the time to take a tape measure to their L.P. I would be forever gratefull.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I cane into this archive thread seeking information for sizing a case for a Special I came into. What was asked for "dimensions" turned out to be internal tenon sizing...and then some guy asking about a stolen black beauty, which there was no Special in that type...sorry for your loss...
Can someone tell me the body dimensions or will a Special fit into a Standard case? I had a '59 Special, it had a fitting case, but I didn't remember if it had a bump for a carve or not...yes, I know the Special was a plank.

ARandall

Reaction score
Specials have the same shaped body, but the vintage construction versions have the body centreline moved at the neck end by the width of the lip that you see.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Specials have the same shaped body, but the vintage construction versions have the body centreline moved at the neck end by the width of the lip that you see.
Thanks, A...
It will fit into a standard LP case, then?

dasherf17

Reaction score
Specials don’t have a maple cap though. So it’s not as thick, particularly at the bridge.
doh.gif
Yes, I know...I had one, I have one again...I just wanted to know if the guitar would fit a standard case...the answer was yes, they're the same size...I'll just have a bit more headroom, it sounds...thanks guys...

dasherf17

Reaction score
But…the two guitars are not the same exact dimensions…is the point. The difference in thickness affects… the angle where it rests on the neck support…in the standard LP case. It’s discussed a little here: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/les-paul-special-hard-case.347742/

Do with the info what you will….
BGG...I read the link...thanks for that...it seems the Special may be thinner...I suppose I could put a hand towel under to "shim" up the space if the body's a bit low in the case....it's a used Standard case a friend of mine has (his was stolen, they left the case)...we're flexible...

Latest Threads