Les Paul Special at Gibson Garage

Gridlock

Reaction score
I was in Nashville this past weekend. I had to check out Carter’s and the Gibson Garage. Both highly recommended stops.

My next guitar is definitely a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV Yellow. I got to test out both the regular production and the Custom Shop (Murphy aged) guitars. Both guitars were excellent. I’m not a fan of relic guitars so the regular production guitar would be my choice (plus less money).

A very cool store with friendly and helpful staff. In addition, I got to finally check out some Mesa Fillmore amps, although only through a Mesa cab simulator with headphones. I don’t recall seeing a amp room in the store.

I’m waiting on a discount coupon from GC to pull the trigger on the TV Yellow Special. A very nice trip.

6BB7707F-79C6-4815-A0D4-C1AAC41873F2.jpeg

E6556A5D-77F0-447F-9184-7FCA80A75143.jpeg

D6EE53F9-5634-4144-85FE-7BE198C97895.jpeg

68F68943-C16D-48CA-9270-6ECF6E7F9489.jpeg

Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
even the late epi specials are quite good.pretty much the equal of a gibby tribute for way less money.

smk506

Reaction score
I’ll have to swing by one of these days and check it out, I didn’t realize it was already open.

Gridlock

Reaction score
even the late epi specials are quite good.pretty much the equal of a gibby tribute for way less money.
The Gibson store had an entire section devoted to Epi’s, but I did not see a similar Epi Special. The Epi’s are really nice guitars and I really wanted to check out the Epi TV Yellow Special. Not against buying an Epi.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
I’m waiting on a discount coupon from GC to pull the trigger on the TV Yellow Special. A very nice trip.
have you tried calling in and asking? most places will give you 15% off. Just ask whats the best price they can do... then ask again if thats the best price. If you have a lady rep, I find it goes much smoother. Good luck

Gridlock

Reaction score
have you tried calling in and asking? most places will give you 15% off. Just ask whats the best price they can do... then ask again if thats the best price. If you have a lady rep, I find it goes much smoother. Good luck
I’ll definitely try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Man those beautiful Gibsons hanging that close to the brick wall really sets off my OCD - just once wrong bump and that wall would instantly mark the soft nitro so easily. They could benefit with using just a small thin buffer of some kind behind the the lower bodies - like a square piece of leather etc …

DBDM

Reaction score
Next time make sure you hit Gruhn's! If anyone is coming to Nashville, Gruhn's, Carter's,and Rumble seat are all on the same street (8th Ave) and it is easy to hit them all (all have free parking). Gruhn's is the furthest from Downtown (whole trip about a mile). So start there, then Rumble Seat, then Carter's. Take 8th another few blocks into downtown and you are practically at the Gibson Garage (within a few blocks)

Gridlock

Reaction score
Next time make sure you hit Gruhn's! If anyone is coming to Nashville, Gruhn's, Carter's,and Rumble seat are all on the same street (8th Ave) and it is easy to hit them all (all have free parking). Gruhn's is the furthest from Downtown (whole trip about a mile). So start there, then Rumble Seat, then Carter's. Take 8th another few blocks into downtown and you are practically at the Gibson Garage (within a few blocks)
Damm, which that I new that last weekend. Thanks for the information.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Man those beautiful Gibsons hanging that close to the brick wall really sets off my OCD - just once wrong bump and that wall would instantly mark the soft nitro so easily. They could benefit with using just a small thin buffer of some kind behind the the lower bodies - like a square piece of leather etc …
Yes, my thoughts were the same. I’d also be concerned buying a guitar off the conveyor running around the building.

I appears that maybe i should have paid full price and bought a Special in the case from the Gibson Garage because now the TV Specials are on backorder from most big box stores.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
They tend to come up pretty often, there have been several sold here in the past 6-8 months........
Lately though they have not been TVY......just be ready, I have missed 2 in this color during that time.

reedrainey

Reaction score
I have to agree about that brick wall. And what did you think about that group of moving guitars around the top of the wall? Saw that for real October 29th, this year. I was wondering about how the "start-up" torque affected the closeness of the bodies. It would have to be an expensive motor control to smoothly start back up after selling one out of the moving group. But if one or more got damaged in that initial process, you can bet they changed the system or moved the guitars a bit further from each other to prevent that. Someone really knew their stuff to make that work safely. I was just "Yikes!" when I first saw it. I should've asked my question about how that thing worked. It's really mesmerizing, isn't it?

DBDM

Reaction score
Yes, my thoughts were the same. I’d also be concerned buying a guitar off the conveyor running around the building.

I appears that maybe i should have paid full price and bought a Special in the case from the Gibson Garage because now the TV Specials are on backorder from most big box stores.
It is one of the stated purposes of the Gibson Garage to have models for purchase that are hard to find in other stores. Not a accident or something you have to "happen up on".

One thing to keep in mind when visiting Nashville to look at guitars--these businesses (Carter's and Gruhns especially) are small businesses. They WANT you to come there. Easy to look at guys like Walter Carter and George Gruhn (people you have heard of and seen on YouTube and read books) and think--"oh he is a rich dude who does not care about little me". NOT TRUE. Although neither of those men are fretting over buying generic beans at the grocery store, neither are Jeff Bezos. In the case of Gruhns, George Gruhn has been selling guitars for 51 years. He did not reach his 50th anniversary in small business competing against the big players by blowing people off or sticking his nose in the air. He wants you to come in there. He wants you to ask for him. He wants you to paw and play the guitars. That is his whole life. send him an email. he will personally answer you. His email (hard to remember) is [email protected] It drives him nuts that people think that they cannot talk to him or visit his store. Full disclosure he is my neighbor and one of my best friends. I speak to him daily if not multiple times daily. I have no affiliation with Gruhns other than my close relationship with George Gruhn. I tell my wife every Saturday when I leave my house to go to Gruhn's--"there will be a day when I want to hang out with George and that will be no longer possible." Although he is in excellent health and physical and mental condition, he is after all 76 years old. The same advice holds true to anyone visiting Nashville--don't miss the chance!

Edit--I do not want to give out George's cell phone number but if you click on the following link, he gives it out in his weekly show today. About 30 seconds or so into the show

Last edited:

DBDM

Reaction score
Very few streets on earth where you can handle and play about 5 bursts, classic pre-war Martins, and about 10 Lloyd Loar signed Mandolins and L5s. 8th ave in Nashville may be the only one. And you CAN. If you want to take it a tiny bit farther south there is a Guitar Center at the other end of the street (not techically on 8th but you can functionally see it). My circuit would be to start at Gruhns (or you can go the other way), hit Gruhns, then Rumble seat, then Carters. Drive into downtown and park and walk to tthe Gibson Garage (tip, ask to see "the Vaut". They might say no but they usually say "ok"), then over to the Country Music Hall of fame. Would likely take a whole long day to do all of that but I would not guess that most of us reading this would be disappointed. Minus any purchases, the parking in downtown would be the most expensive thing you did that day!

DBDM

Reaction score
I have to agree about that brick wall. And what did you think about that group of moving guitars around the top of the wall? Saw that for real October 29th, this year. I was wondering about how the "start-up" torque affected the closeness of the bodies. It would have to be an expensive motor control to smoothly start back up after selling one out of the moving group. But if one or more got damaged in that initial process, you can bet they changed the system or moved the guitars a bit further from each other to prevent that. Someone really knew their stuff to make that work safely. I was just "Yikes!" when I first saw it. I should've asked my question about how that thing worked. It's really mesmerizing, isn't it?
It is a little bit the opposite of that. They want you to pick them up and PLAY them. Every little display of guitars has amps underneath them that are plugged in with cables. They are trying to make it comfortable and familiar.

I was fortunate enough to be at the grand opening and they described all of that. They do not want it to be fussy or finnicky. They want you to enjoy it and it is made for people to do that. The few guitars that they do not want you to touch are behind glass. The overhead system is a copy of the one in the factory. They have been hanging guitars (to let them dry and cure) that way for many many decades. Although it looks like they would bang together, they don't. The Gibsons you play in your house rode around on a nearly identical system for a minimum of 3 weeks before you bought it!

EDIT--When touring the USA shop, there are hundreds (seemingly thousands) of guitars flying around overhead of every color and model. Any of the gloss finishes take 3 weeks to dry and that is where they go after painting to dry. Of the 500 (ish) gutars per day that they make, I do not know how many are gloss nitro (maybe 1/2) so 200 (ish--trying to not exaggerate) per day for 21 total days. Do the math. Any thought that they do a run of one guitar at a time (like all the Slash anacondas) is completely wrong. They make them ALL at seemingly the same time. I would have little problem just going there and sitting in a chair and doing nothing but watching the guitars fly around. I think the number (I attempted to count) of guitars at the garage is around 150 (ish). Harder to count them than you may think and I kept losing count. Somewhere south of 200 and north of 120. Fun to see though, and I get excited to see new ones and curious about the ones that I have never seen--like I am 14 (I am 50)

PS--I am proud of my hometown and love to tell people about it--if you cannot tell!

Last edited:

zdoggie

Reaction score
the way crime is these days I keep away from large towns I live close to nash. get all of the local news ,perfer to have UPS deliver LOL!!

zdog

Gridlock

Reaction score
It is one of the stated purposes of the Gibson Garage to have models for purchase that are hard to find in other stores. Not a accident or something you have to "happen up on".

One thing to keep in mind when visiting Nashville to look at guitars--these businesses (Carter's and Gruhns especially) are small businesses. They WANT you to come there. Easy to look at guys like Walter Carter and George Gruhn (people you have heard of and seen on YouTube and read books) and think--"oh he is a rich dude who does not care about little me". NOT TRUE. Although neither of those men are fretting over buying generic beans at the grocery store, neither are Jeff Bezos. In the case of Gruhns, George Gruhn has been selling guitars for 51 years. He did not reach his 50th anniversary in small business competing against the big players by blowing people off or sticking his nose in the air. He wants you to come in there. He wants you to ask for him. He wants you to paw and play the guitars. That is his whole life. send him an email. he will personally answer you. His email (hard to remember) is [email protected] It drives him nuts that people think that they cannot talk to him or visit his store. Full disclosure he is my neighbor and one of my best friends. I speak to him daily if not multiple times daily. I have no affiliation with Gruhns other than my close relationship with George Gruhn. I tell my wife every Saturday when I leave my house to go to Gruhn's--"there will be a day when I want to hang out with George and that will be no longer possible." Although he is in excellent health and physical and mental condition, he is after all 76 years old. The same advice holds true to anyone visiting Nashville--don't miss the chance!

Edit--I do not want to give out George's cell phone number but if you click on the following link, he gives it out in his weekly show today. About 30 seconds or so into the show
I’m sorry that I missed Gruhn’s, but we were only in Nashville for three days attending a wedding and all the festivities.

I did drag my wife back to Carter’s for a second visit. I went back to test out a few amps that I saw the first day to possibly buy. The sales guy at Carter’s asked me what kind of guitar I wanted to play? I said, “Les Paul with PAF’s”. He comes back into the amp room and hands me a R9 with a $10,000 price tag. Impressed.

Both Carter’s and the Gibson Garage’s staff were great. I’m upset that I missed other music stores nearby. Still a good time was had by all and there is always buying online.

Last edited:

DBDM

Reaction score
I’m sorry that I missed Gruhn’s, but we were only in Nashville for three days attending a wedding and all the festivities.

I did drag my wife back to Carter’s for a second visit. I went back to test out a few amps that I saw the first day to possibly buy. The sales guy at Carter’s asked me what kind of guitar I wanted to play? I said, “Les Paul with PAF’s”. He comes back into the amp room and hands me a R9 with a $10,000 price tag. Impressed.

Both Carter’s and the Gibson Garage’s staff were great. I’m upset that I missed other music stores nearby. Still a good time was had by all and there is always buying online.
yea--I a fairly solidly spolied by things like that in some respects and it helps me in others. For example, i never have to wonder about things like "how would I sound on a 59 LP played through a real Leo Fender wired amp" or "I wonder if I would sound better on 53 Tele". I know those answers and the sum total is "I still suck just as bad on $600k worth of gear as I do on $2k worth of gear". Might as well go with the $2k option!

I also sometimes take one or more of my guitars with me (for various reasons) so I never have to ponder--"Would this guitar sound great in the hands of ___(xxx great artist). Yep. He sounds great on my gear and I do not sound like him (at all) on his! APPARENTLY great tones are in the hands and brain of the artist and not hidden between the maple and mahogany in some voodoo glue recipe that has been lost to time!

DBDM

Reaction score
i was watching the show "Five Watt World" on Youtube yesterday, which I enjoy. When he said the theme "how to get the most music out of the least gear" it dawned on me that my theme is apparently the opposite. "How to get the least music out of the most gear!"

BluJa'nk

Reaction score
I was in Nashville this past weekend. I had to check out Carter’s and the Gibson Garage. Both highly recommended stops.

My next guitar is definitely a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV Yellow. I got to test out both the regular production and the Custom Shop (Murphy aged) guitars. Both guitars were excellent. I’m not a fan of relic guitars so the regular production guitar would be my choice (plus less money).

A very cool store with friendly and helpful staff. In addition, I got to finally check out some Mesa Fillmore amps, although only through a Mesa cab simulator with headphones. I don’t recall seeing a amp room in the store.

View attachment 565495
View attachment 565497
View attachment 565496
View attachment 565499
I loved Carter's Vintage but I didn't know about the Gibson Garage when I was in Nashville.

Latest Threads