Les Paul signature or SG?

GearHo

Reaction score
All right forumites which would You choose a goldtop lp signature from the seventies, or an SG custom shop or newer production.

I like both but must choose only one, what say you….

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
What other guitars do you own already?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the LP Signature is pretty cool.
C37E9110-DC68-4F6A-B4C5-7A63B9F1CD0F.jpeg

ED94367B-B929-4AE0-A0C4-7DD45459CDCF.jpeg

That’s my vote

Mitchey75

Reaction score
I am more into SGs so a Custom Shop SG would be a nice pick!

GearHo

Reaction score
They are very different animals, I have a line on both at the moment.

v-man

Reaction score
They are very different animals, I have a line on both at the moment.
Indeed. One is fugly as sin, but it’s not my dime. Do you want an oddball semi-hollow or a legendary utilitarian solidbody prone to neck dive?

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
All right forumites which would You choose a goldtop lp signature from the seventies, or an SG custom shop or newer production.

Is this the Custom Shop SG model you're looking into?
IMG_20220417_170604621~2.jpg

If so, I can offer my opinions on it but since I only learned of the existence of the Oddball Les Paul when I opened this thread, I have no idea.

This SG is very well made with a very comfortable neck. For me this SG is right in line with my personal visual preferences where as the Les Paul is visually struggling for me. Lol. It would have to have a lot of awesome features not found on any other guitar for me to consider it. So while that's my personal opinion I may not be the only one with it so resale down the road could be tough because there would be a limited market. Of course the same could be said of my Custom Shop SG because many people wouldn't consider spending that much on an SG when you can get a great SG for much less.

Les Paul or 335? IMO pick up one of each!
IMG_20211017_165130032~2.jpg

IMG_20220717_212506581~2.jpg

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Well, personally I’m an avid enthusiast of Gibson semi-hollows so…

GearHo

Reaction score
Appx 1500 LPsignatures were made, I have never played one, but I like the thought of them.

SG,s are all over the map price wise, from 1200 to 5000, trying to figure out where the price fits in to justify.

anyone here ever own or play a LP sig?

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Appx 1500 LPsignatures were made, I have never played one, but I like the thought of them.

SG,s are all over the map price wise, from 1200 to 5000, trying to figure out where the price fits in to justify.

anyone here ever own or play a LP sig?
I bought my SG Custom for $3400 Canadian at the height of the pandemic price bubble. I used some inheritance money and the goal for me was to buy a guitar that I wouldn't normally be able to justify buying so that price didn't bother me under those circumstances. I'm not a fan of buying without trying first so I'm sure I could find one cheaper in the world but this one was the only one I've seen within driving distance to me.

Now that the price bubble has burst I would doubt many of these should go for more than what I paid.

That Les Paul being as rare as it is will likely only go up so even though it might be hard to find the right buyer (if you decided to one day sell it), I would assume you'd never lose money on it.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
A 70's Les Paul for me personally. I love Norlin era LP's and I don't have a gold top at the moment.

Tollie

Reaction score

I vote for the Les Paul signature. Those are less common than SGs.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
There you go,.... you have a hole in your collection.

I would imagine it would feel like a ES335 or a Midtown with a LP cutaway and the neck is set deeper than an ES,.... as for sound?,.... got no clue what those unique pups would sound like.

( I thought you were thinning out the heard amigo?? )

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
Signature, all day every day. They aren't making any more of those (not original ones at least) but they'll keep on cranking out SGs by the truckload and you can always get one later.

GearHo

Reaction score
There you go,.... you have a hole in your collection.

I would imagine it would feel like a ES335 or a Midtown with a LP cutaway and the neck is set deeper than an ES,.... as for sound?,.... got no clue what those unique pups would sound like.

( I thought you were thinning out the heard amigo?? )
My herd is a stubborn lot, I really want to but it’s harder than I thought.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
My herd is a stubborn lot, I really want to but it’s harder than I thought.
I know the feeling.... I simply gave up the thought.... there’s nothing I have that can be easily let go.... nothing.

My herd just needs a bigger ranch as it is continuously growing.

Latest Threads