Les Paul R8 Questions

Mrserc

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking at purchasing a used R8. It’s a 2012, and I know lots of people seem to avoid that year because of the laminated board, truss rod condom, burstbuckers instead of custombuckers, (are there others I’m missing?)... But it’s an early serial (<60) so I’m guessing it at least has a single piece fretboard (also based on the inlays but input welcome). It’s also a reasonable price it seems based on what I can see at $4k Canadian.

But I wanted to get some opinions on the photos. In particular, I’ve never seen a control cavity that looks quite like this, and I’ve searched around the forum.. is it just lots of paint drips or does it also look like there’s also been some resoldering on the bottom right? Supposed to be totally stock but the seller is also not the original owner, and I’m not a Les Paul expert, this would be my first.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Also, I haven’t seen it in person yet, it’s quite a drive so looking for input first.
s-l647 2.jpg
s-l645 2.jpg
s-l640 2.jpg
s-l649 2.jpg
s-l646 2.jpg
s-l648 2.jpg
s-l643 2.jpg

Mrserc

Reaction score
Hmm.. looking around a bit more, it seems like 2012 R8s did come with custombuckers but the ad says bb1 and bb2 pickups.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Solder looks original. 2013 was the first year for Custombuckers in regular production reissues. I don't think it's been proven but there is a (good) idea floating around that old material inlay 2012s did not have laminated fretboards and those look like the older inlays.

This forum has a Historic District you should post reissue questions there.

dju

Reaction score
I liked the BB1/BB2 pickups that were in my CR8's I have.
I put in some Seymour Duncan CS models that either still need some setup tweaking or I just liked the BB1/BB2 better.
Hopefully I'll get it figured out soon.
I have never played a guitar with the Custombuckers yet to know how I feel about them.
But regarding the BB1/BB2's I wouldn't let that dissuade you from buying that particular guitar.
good luck.

p.s..... it's a good looking guitar.

Great R8

Reaction score
Can a laminated board be distinguishable visually? Can you show pics of the fretboard?

ARandall

Reaction score
The laminate boards can only be known once you pull either the nut or the binding. The only pics I've seen show the second laminate below the level of the fret slots.

Mrserc

Reaction score
Can’t believe I used the wrong section on my first post, maybe it can be moved. I won’t repost the same questions there but will know for future.

Thanks for the responses.

Can a laminated board be distinguishable visually? Can you show pics of the fretboard?
There’s quite a few threads I found on here that refers to what Tim mentioned above. Here’s one with a good picture (https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2012-r0.287712/). The ones with the holes are the older acrylic inlays with the likely one piece boards and the lighter ones were the newer cellulose inlays that may have coincided with the switch to laminated in 2012. It’s not really one of the influencing factors for me except in case I don’t really bond with the guitar and need to resell it would be nice to say it’s a one piece, but only way to know for sure is removing the nut.

mjross

Reaction score
Here we go again with the 2012 laminated board BS again. My 2012 has had ZERO issues, one of my best Les Pauls and that’s saying a lot. Every time someone brings up a 2012 someone pulls the laminated board thing out their ass. Get over it already!

el84ster

Reaction score
Tone wise I don’t think a laminate board would matter. Re-sale wise i think it would. Also I’m one of those who believe the no truss rod sheath les Pauls resonate/sound better.
personally I’d avoid 2012 and go 2013 and later.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I 'm glad as hell my guitar buying days are coming to a close if I had to do over I'd buy a nice orville , of a greco and do a pickup -ectomy and play on

zdog

goldtop0

Reaction score
There is a stigma with the '12s unfortunately but if it plays right for you then go ahead........maybe haggle with the seller a little though and see if you can get the asking price down.

mjross

Reaction score
There is a stigma with the '12s unfortunately but if it plays right for you then go ahead........maybe haggle with the seller a little though and see if you can get the asking price down.
I wouldn’t bring up the “12” thing. I’d just ask if that is his best price. This is just me but if I was to sell my “12” (never happen) and got into the ”12” pissing match, I’d glaze over. Nothing wrong with the “12’s”!

Cory

Reaction score
If it’s a keeper than go for it, but I think if you ever try to sell it you’ll take a big wash on it - I think most people in the used market are looking for ‘13+ models for the upgrades made between 2012 and 2013 (custom buckers, hide glue, one piece board, aniline dye on the backs, no sheath on the truss rod, etc.). I think most would skip a 2012 or even pay a little more for those upgrades considering that we’re talking about reissues here and those attributes are more historically accurate.

Last edited:

Mrserc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. In the end, the 2012 stuff I’m aware of doesn’t bother me personally but it’s the resale issue if it doesn’t end up being a keeper so I’ve decided to keep looking.

Great R8

Reaction score
I only found out last week that from about mid 62 Fender started using laminate rosewood on their necks! (I don't know for how long) I saw it and it's really thin, perhaps 2mm? Doesn't seem to hurt it's reputation. :cool:

Obviously it's not the same thing, but no one talks about how the rosewood laminate hurts the tone of the 62 Strat. I'm assuming the 2012 LP has a thinner laminate, but I doubt it will make a difference in tone, or that it's original brazilian rosewood compared to the (probably) thinner laminate of the LP.

Latest Threads