Les Paul production markings?

ARFOR6

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the markings inside the pickup cavities stand for? My 2001 Std has LPS- in the bridge cavity and EB in the neck cavity in dark red or purple ink. I assume these stand for Les Paul Standard and Ebony since that matches the guitar, but there is also a 5H or 5W or perhaps SH or SW in the neck cavity in yellow/gold ink. Any ideas what that might mean?

denni62

Reaction score
lps les paul standard eb ebony oh sorry seen you answerd the lps and eb by yourself lol, i think the other marking is the guy building or inspecting the guitar.but not posative

ARFOR6

Reaction score
And the 5H or 5W or perhaps SH or SW in the neck cavity in yellow/gold ink?

denni62

Reaction score
i ran across another guitar on the net its was a 80s lester the guy had the sw stamped in it, he said it meant tim shaw pups,and thats what gibson uses the pup cavities for so the next guy knows what going on with the guitar while being built,if the guy doing the electrics in it didnt see that it would get electrics every other lps were to have

ARFOR6

Reaction score
Well that's an interesting idea. It could certainly be SW. The pickups on my guitar are mismatched, the bridge PU is a regular looking 490, but the neck PU has a PAF sticker and base configuration and the covers on the two are slighly differant color nickle/chrome if you look closely. The bottom of the two PU have a magic marker B on the bridge one and N on the neck one. I'd always just assumed the original owner (I bought it used) had swapped in a 57 classic or somesuch. But when did Gibson quit using Tim Shaw pickups though? My LP is a 2001 - at least I think it is (sn#01851657)

Could anybody out there identify a Tim Shaw by looking at the botom?

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

ARFOR6

Reaction score
Here's an image of the marking I'm trying to understand.

The red EB is written over the gold SW or 5H or whatever it says.

IMG_1042.jpg

There's a third set of markings, in a much finer red ink that I can't make out. I can see an fine H right in the middle, and a fine S above the B in EB. There's more, but it's jumbled with the other two marks and really tough to see.

denni62

Reaction score
your guitar is newer but the original tim shaw pups were numberd 139-183 they gibson did a reissue in the 2000s era special order, those dont seem to have any real visiual markings except the patten applied for,black sticker,the second pup looks like a new burstbucker pro, tim shaws were close to 57S being a bit underwound,max 7.5k 7.9k the second pic is a busrt bucker pro, a little hotter pup than tim shaw,thats probably the one thats been changed,any challenges? and look at the screws in the fisrt pic longer? yup tim shaw reissue

ARFOR6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Denni62. Very helpful.

There is certainly a very distinct differance in tone between the two PU.

Latest Threads