Les paul over PRS

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
oops yea it was standard, my mistake. thanks. the CE24 is great guitar, but deep inside me I kinda enjoy more playing that Standard LP, the problem is, throwing another 1000$ is worth for used LP 1996 standard? or should I just save more money, ooorr buy then new release 2020 LP?
In this case I(!) would keep the PRS and save some money for a LP.

Some day you'll regret selling the PRS. Which LP from which year is totally up to you. There are a lot of differences: neck profiles, pickups, etc. In most cases it's a step forward to change the bridge parts! I love the Faber bridge in mine.

I know it's tough when there's deal... but I'd never buy a guitar I've never played. Especially not when never played an LP before.

truckermde

Reaction score
The value of a used CE24 is a lot closer to that of the LP than you're getting, or you wouldn't have to add an additional $1000.

Bad deal, IMHO

ns2a

Reaction score
1. depends what you are after. Is high fret access important to you? That can be difficult for some on a LP. You're going from 24 frets to really 20 accessible frets. But some can reach those on a LP fine.
2. Good wood? Total internet BS. How do you play by the way? Plugged into a bunch of pedals then an amp on high gain? Or a simple guitar, cord amp setup. The more "processed" your sound, the less nuances you'll hear in a guitar.
3) The CE PRS and the LP won't sound much alike. People say PRS sounds in between a strat and a LP. Kinda. The set neck (not bolt on) to me sound more like the combination of a HSH super strat and a LP.

dju

Reaction score
The value of a used CE24 is a lot closer to that of the LP than you're getting, or you wouldn't have to add an additional $1000.

Bad deal, IMHO
+2
i did a little reverb looking and depending on which PRS Ce24 model you have they can cost as much as a used LP standard.

do a little more research before doing any trading.

good luck,
dj

gball

Reaction score
Agreed with the two main points, as I see them: Do your research, and, make sure the Gibson is what you really want.
I've owned a few PRS' and they were fine, but...they are all long gone and my Gibsons have stayed and multiplied. YMMV, so try before you buy and be sure it's the sound and feel you want.

dspelman

Reaction score
that's the confusing thing for me, I have no Idea if this will be an upgrade or just different guitar (plus I have to throw another 1000$ for the used LP)

I'd have to say NOT necessarily an upgrade and more of "just a different guitar."

PRS was originally intended to slide into the gap between the LP and a strat, offering a carved guitar with premium materials, but with a more strat-like body. It was originally a totally custom guitar that Paul Smith built on an individual basis for some of his guitar-playing friends. I think he built his first one back in around 1975. They started coming out of a factory in 1985 and I remember thinking that they were fancier than LPs, but didn't necessarily sound better.

I have exactly one PRS and it's a fairly thick hollowbody with a bunch of MIDI controls, etc. Very fancy, gorgeous top. Gibson has actually never mastered the tops that PRS offered. Carvin has, but Gibson not so much. Top end PRS have always had better tops and usually prettier wood.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have both. I like them both, for different reasons, and they are different guitars, obviously. PRS didn't build guitars to be "LP Killers". He had in his heart what would be the "best" guitar, in his mind. Your question sounds a lot like "apples over pears"? No one but you can answer that question.

Personally, I like them both, but for different reasons. They are two very distinct guitars.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
key word: different.....

example....

Which is better a Lester or Strat? Straw comparison. Different animals.

I'd keep the PRS and keep a patient eye peeled for the right Lester. It'll present itself sooner or later.

sonar1

Reaction score
I’ve had PRS guitars that were everything Paul thought made a perfect guitar.
I still have a mahogany “standard” 24 that I really like, and a couple Les Pauls.

I like the CE series (bolt neck), and had a blue ash bodied one for a while.

To me the Les Paul was an iconic guitar (I’m an old geezer) but I mostly played Telecasters. My PRS “standard” is brighter, more modern sounding, has the whammy, and greater fret access.

ARandall

Reaction score
My only comparison has been a PRS type kit vs LP.....and like everyone else agree they are different animals.

You could go for a used studio....a lot less $$$ but almost the identical constructive elements. Its just the 'bling' that makes the standard more expensive.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't trade away a guitar you like and has "the feel" you have bonded with.

Shop around and play as many LPs as you can until you find one with "the feel" Don't rush into a purchase like this. Do your research.

Last edited:

FunkmastaL

Reaction score
Don't sell the PRS CE. They are amazing guitars and I don't think trading it and putting down an extra grand is worth an LP standard. You're really paying for the name in that context, because both are really comparable guitars. However, if you know for a fact that you prefer the LP scale and feel, then I would trade but make damn sure that you prefer the LP.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't sell the PRS CE. They are amazing guitars and I don't think trading it and putting down an extra grand is worth an LP standard. You're really paying for the name in that context, because both are really comparable guitars. However, if you know for a fact that you prefer the LP scale and feel, then I would trade but make damn sure that you prefer the LP.
Can't say that I completely agree with you, but you do bring some heavy advice to the table. Can't agree with you, because I have two LP's that, even with humbuckers, the body, wood and neck make a world of difference. Not better, but different. And I love it. The LP's just sound different to me. Anyway, I agree with your advice, 100%

moreles

Reaction score
You're asking questions only you can answer. "Worth?" That depends on the individual's checklist of wants and needs. IMO, the PRS is made better than the Gibson and certainly not a lesser instrument to the tune of $1000! To me, there is absolutely nothing special about 90s Gibsons, and the "good wood" story is just that, and PRS pretty much outsources Gibson anyway. I owned a PRS Custom 22 and found it superior in every way to a LP. I can't speak to the bolt on build and the different PUs in the CE, but it is an excellent combination of features. However, it is, as everyone has pointed out, fundamentally different from a LP in a way that other PRS, like my old one, are not. A 24 has a lot more neck hanging out there than a 22, let alone a LP. So if you love the sound of the LP, maybe the change is "worth" it to you. Or if you love wine red (a color I dislike very much) then it might well be worth it -- to you. Posters have done a good job describing aspects of both guitars. What features are worth most to you?

Latest Threads