Les paul over PRS

frostbite90

Reaction score
hello all masters and players, newbee here.

So, im seeing this beautiful used LP Standard 1996 wine red color, its in very good condition. now, im planning to sell my PRS ce24 and get that used LP with an additional 1000 dollars!. and i have several questions i have to ask and please be gentle:

1. do you think it is a wise decision since ive never own and LP, but i played that guitar and i love the way they feel in my hand.
2. and is it true that 1990s woods are consider by many as good wood era?
3. tone wise, if you ever had or have any PRS, do you think they are very close sounding guitar? i feel that LP more creamy than PRS.

if you have any suggestions, comments, or help, would be great!

thanks

Last edited:

JTM45

Reaction score
I can’t answer about the 90s woods but a Les Paul is much different than a ce, a Les Paul will be a wonderful step up

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Hi.

only you can tell if it's a "step up" or "step down". A CE24 PRS is a different guitar in many ways. If you like your CE24, keep it and save a little money for a Les Paul and try out different models (!!!). Unless you know what to get when buying the Les Paul, I wouldn't make the deal!

btw... never heard about a Traditional from 1996. I guess you're talking about a LP Standard?

Tiboy

Reaction score
I had a PRS Custom 24. I have a PRS 594 (probably the PRS model that comes closest to the LP). I have a LP. PRS and LP’s are different and different sounding guitars.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
oh yes...: the woods from the 90s....

There are a lot of myths out there but go make your own experiences. Back in the 90s guitarists just went gigging and playing and the guitars are "played-in". So are the woods. Nowadays guitarists care a little too much about their instruments and each tiny scratch is a reason to keep it in the case and to loose the interest in the guitar. No patina, not played-in..., and then you hear the guys yellin' that older guitars are the better ones. ;-)

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I have a PRS DGT and a LP Standard. Both are great, but they are different.

Keep the ce if you like it.

frostbite90

Reaction score
I can’t answer about the 90s woods but a Les Paul is much different than a ce, a Les Paul will be a wonderful step up
that's the confusing thing for me, I have no Idea if this will be an upgrade or just different guitar (plus I have to throw another 1000$ for the used LP)

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a PRS DGT and a LP Standard. Both are great, but they are different.
Have played a DGT in a shop for a while and thought it was the closest to an LP vibe of any PRS I had played. But I am interested to know what a real owner sees as different. If you want to PM me so as not to hijack the thread completely that is cool.

And to the OP........the LP would be a step up from the PRS CE model but if you like the CE then keep it. I do not sell or trade guitars any more...just buy

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I would save some more money and check a few LPs first before thinking about buying a Les Paul and selling a guitar I like,

frostbite90

Reaction score
Hi.

only you can tell if it's a "step up" or "step down". A CE24 PRS is a different guitar in many ways. If you like your CE24, keep it and save a little money for a Les Paul and try out different models (!!!). Unless you know what to get when buying the Les Paul, I wouldn't make the deal!

btw... never heard about a Traditional from 1996. I guess you're talking about a LP Standard?
oops yea it was standard, my mistake. thanks. the CE24 is great guitar, but deep inside me I kinda enjoy more playing that Standard LP, the problem is, throwing another 1000$ is worth for used LP 1996 standard? or should I just save more money, ooorr buy then new release 2020 LP?

frostbite90

Reaction score
Have played a DGT in a shop for a while and thought it was the closest to an LP vibe of any PRS I had played. But I am interested to know what a real owner sees as different. If you want to PM me so as not to hijack the thread completely that is cool.

And to the OP........the LP would be a step up from the PRS CE model but if you like the CE then keep it. I do not sell or trade guitars any more...just buy
hey thank you. never tried the DGT. I think it is the neck and weight that kinda think to get it (and the sound ofc). looks like its better to save money first

jbash

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges.

If you love your PRS, don't sell it to fund a Gibson and think the Gibson will get you in the ballpark tonally. It won't. (and vice versa)

PRS are their own animal. I've had 9 (? maybe more) core models including an early model BIT 80s. Fantastic instruments. Fantastic build. Fantastic sounds. They have their own feel and tones, no matter what bridge, pickups, and scale length Paul is using. And if I had to say, they sound far more like a Fender long scale instrument with a set neck and woods, rather than a Gibson . The neck angle, the headstock angle, the straight string pull, etc- all closer to Fender.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
oops yea it was standard, my mistake. thanks. the CE24 is great guitar, but deep inside me I kinda enjoy more playing that Standard LP, the problem is, throwing another 1000$ is worth for used LP 1996 standard? or should I just save more money, ooorr buy then new release 2020 LP?
Every guitar is different. If your current PRS is a keeper...keep it.

Reactions: ehb

Sinster

Reaction score
Not sure I would do the trade as well. I don't know much about the PRS CE, but the extra 1k with your CE doesn't seem like a good or even fair deal. This is just my opinion.

30 years from now someone is going to post "2020 is woods are consider by many as good wood era".

rabidhamster

Reaction score
hello all masters and players, newbee here.

So, im seeing this beautiful used LP Standard 1996 wine red color, its in very good condition. now, im planning to sell my PRS ce24 and get that used LP with an additional 1000 dollars!. and i have several questions i have to ask and please be gentle:

1. do you think it is a wise decision since ive never own and LP, but i played that guitar and i love the way they feel in my hand.
2. and is it true that 1990s woods are consider by many as good wood era?
3. tone wise, if you ever had or have any PRS, do you think they are very close sounding guitar? i feel that LP more creamy than PRS.

if you have any suggestions, comments, or help, would be great!

thanks
Not a step up at all. The PRS is at least as good of a guitar, but it is different. I would absolutely not trade a CE and $1000 for a les Paul Standard, but it’s your money.

El Pablo

Reaction score
It's a hard no for me. The CE is very versitale. Save your money and regrets. For what you are paying extra, you could buy a very nice Studio and enjoy both worlds. Or, just keep saving and get a Standard, Traditional or Classic. There is no need for a hasty decision.

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Les Paul...

I don’t know about woods....2016, 2018, 2019/2020 are my favorite years
though my number 1 is a 2007

-Chris

rabidhamster

Reaction score
1996 wasn’t a bad year but it wasn’t a special year for wood or specs or anything , it’s just an older used guitar.
If you don’t have many guitars, a ce24 and a LP are nicely complimentary IMO they can both back each other up well enough while also being able to provide distinctly different tones.

Latest Threads