Les Paul necks

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am asking this because I am in need of guidance.

I have a few les pauls where it appears the neck near the body of the guitar is somewhat twisted or actually has settled causing the action above the 12th fret to be higher on the lower G B and E strings.

Is this common?

Other than a good set up etc, will it potentially snap back or is that it?

r9in09

Reaction score
I've seen this on my old Burny LP copy and to my understanding this cannot really be remedied.

I've noticed it ever so slightly on my R8 as well....:rolleyes:

I love Gibson, but to be honest they are not anywhere near infallible

rumbling_groover

Reaction score
No your LP is not doomed.

A good set up will sort it. A fret dress should solve your problem.

A well known member here Phil47UK has a guitar called Humphrey (Hump free) who had this exact issue resolved by a good guitar tech.

He named the guitar after the experience IIRC.

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I should expound a bit. Another issue, is the neck adjusts during every climate change, which in the midwest is weekly.

So there are a few battles here: 1) the curing of the wood which I think is a warranty issue, and 2) the set up, which I agree is the end solution.

I'm just a little frustrated that the necks settle oddly... Is this the case with other set neck guitars?

Thanks for the responses.

V!N

Reaction score
That's what you're getting with a one piece neck. I need to adjust the truss rod in those about twice a year while the ones in my collection with a three pieced neck are much more solid and stable and can go without even thinking about the truss rod for up to five years.

Here's a nice pictorial of how this can be fixed by a good tech:

Vox Humana Guitar Centre - ES175D getordeerde hals

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This won't help, but my old (2001) R9 has got a little hump in the neck. A very good guitar builder I know believes the truss rod cavity is incorrectly shaped. Like yours, it leads to incorrect curvature down one side.

A good setup obviously helps, but I'm going to get the fingerboard flattened off when it's next refretted. We're pretty sure this will get it perfect.

Never sure if these things should be warranty work. Guitar are made of wood, so they change shape a bit over time. Some more than others, the luthier built stuff is always better IME.

Liam

paul les

Reaction score
i know exactly what your talking about!!!! dude my epiphone les paul limited addition has the same problem!!! COPY GUITARS DONT HOLD VALUE!!!!! just buy a traditional best lespaul ive ever played!

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This won't help, but my old (2001) R9 has got a little hump in the neck. A very good guitar builder I know believes the truss rod cavity is incorrectly shaped. Like yours, it leads to incorrect curvature down one side.

A good setup obviously helps, but I'm going to get the fingerboard flattened off when it's next refretted. We're pretty sure this will get it perfect.

Never sure if these things should be warranty work. Guitar are made of wood, so they change shape a bit over time. Some more than others, the luthier built stuff is always better IME.

Liam

I think all guitars over time will need the fingerboard flattened after the neck settles etc,...

My issue is, the neck changes shape almost weekly:wow:, My luthier has had it for a while so we shall see....:Ohno::(

Latest Threads