Les Paul Long Tenon Router for Staple P90s

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I have a LP with long tenons. It has humbuckers. I am having them filled and routed for p90s. I know normal p90s will be find. I am interested in trying a neck staple p90. I will have a normal p90 in the bridge. Like this one for the neck:

I know they are deeper than normal p90. Like a lot deeper.

Has anyone had a long tenor guitar routed for deep p90s like the above one? Does it do more harm that good?

Attachments

Last edited:

Pleximan

Reaction score
I've never used Staple P90's, but the old Black Beauties from the mid 50's used them. They came stock on the guitar. I don't see why you couldn't use one? Hopefully you like the tone, maybe try and play a guitar with one. There was a Les Paul classic ebony made a few years ago that used Staple P90's. Best of luck though.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
There was a Les Paul classic ebony made a few years ago that used Staple P90's. Best of luck though.
Those just had regular p90s. Not staple pickups. They were great candidates for a "poor man's" '50s reissue because they had similar stylings to a Les Paul custom and theoretically could have been routed to fit a staple in the pickup cavity.

I have a '50s reissue custom with a staple pickup. It should have a long neck tenon, too, but I've never taken the pickup our, so I haven't looked in the cavity yet.

I'd bet @PierM has a photo of the neck cavity of his Krieger.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont have a pic of my guitar, but it has exactly this routing (very very deep)

aroomstudios

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I talked with Greg at bcrmusic. He is doing the HB to p90 conversion for me. He said with long tenons they just drill where needed. As in the three deep screw holes and just that. I will be sending the guitar to him in a few days. Then a few months for him to do the work (he has a bunch of guitars in front of me). Will be well worth the wait though.

Wailing

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I talked with Greg at bcrmusic. He is doing the HB to p90 conversion for me. He said with long tenons they just drill where needed. As in the three deep screw holes and just that. I will be sending the guitar to him in a few days. Then a few months for him to do the work (he has a bunch of guitars in front of me). Will be well worth the wait though.
I have an original 50's staple in my tele.. wonderful sound... you wont be disappointed I'm sure

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I talked with Greg at bcrmusic. He is doing the HB to p90 conversion for me.
You're sending it to Greg? You don't need to worry about anything. Enjoy the guitar when you get it back.

I have an original 50's staple in my tele.. wonderful sound... you wont be disappointed I'm sure
I'd love to see pictures of that.

And keep a note of my username incase you ever decide to sell the staple. I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Last edited:

aroomstudios

Reaction score
You're sending it to Greg? You don't need to worry about anything. Enjoy the guitar when you get it back.

I'd love to see pictures of that.

And keep a note of my username incase you ever decide to sell the staple. I'd be very interested to hear from you.

I hear Greg is great. Cannot wait to get the guitar back from him. FedExed it off to him today.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Well that's certainly a unique combination. Don't suppose you have any sound clips.

ARandall

Reaction score
Late to the party here, however........
In a singlecut Les Paul there is no issue - there is plenty of wood there......even in something like a slab body variant. The DC varieties might be a bit more dicey.
There are short tenon Les Pauls and they deal with about 40% less wood contact compared to a full long tenon without the neck joint breaking under pressure. So the perhaps 2% change in glued contact will do less than nothing for the strength. Especially as the deepest section is usually at the tenon end, which is 1. endgrain so a meaningless connection, and 2. most likely made with a small gap for glue squeezout.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
If Greg is handling it, you're gonna be fine.

However, for future reference, one option would be a p90 with 1/4" A5 rods instead of the staple system. Zhangbucker did one for me to get close to the staple p90 thing without having to buy one or do extra routing. I think I paid $90 or so, wound to match my bridge. The poles are not adjustable, like on a staple p90, but it's the same depth as a regular one with the staple sound. I love it.

Slash'n'Burn

Reaction score
Only recently heard about the 'staple' P90 pickup, when watching this video of Barrie Cadogan play his 1955 Custom. It has one in the neck position, and sounds fantastic - really warm, fat, bassy but extremely clear.
Apparently they were designed be a Hi-Fi pickup and were very expensive, so the Custom only got one in the neck position.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have the guitar on the prep shelf.

Check this out to get an idea of what is involved..... It's a like to my shop facebook page....