Les Paul Lite or Axcess question/advice

rockdeveloper

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have the Les Paul Custom Lite Showcase edition and I like the weight, confort and high note access. I also have 2 "regular" Custom's.

I'm into getting another Les Paul lite or getting the Axcess. The problem is I don't have the chance to put my hands on the Axcess locally, I would need to order the guitar online.

In terms of weight, neck heel, etc...is the Axcess worth the extra money compared to the Custom Lite?
Thanks

dspelman

Reaction score
I can't speak about "worth."
I have an Axcess Custom for several reasons.

One, the neck heel makes a big difference compared to a standard thickness LP body. On a thinner body like yours, a bit less so.

Two, the Custom has an ebony board and real MOP inlays. I hate the "pearloid" inlays that shrink and fall out or crack and discolor over time.

Three, the binding and plastics are white rather than the titty-pink cream

Four, it's very light. Perhaps a bit too light (it's chambered, while most Axcesses are weight-relieved).

Five, mine has a Floyd.

Here's what I don't like.

It doesn't have 24 frets. It's not that I *need* 24 frets, but if the 24th fret is where the 22nd would normally be, then the 22nd is VERY accessible. I have an old '70s L6S that has an SG-thickness body and a 24-fret neck and a wide cutaway. That thing has serious upper fret access. I have two Agiles that have 24-fret necks. Much better.

It may be too light. I've added a big brass sustain block to the Floyd and that's helped a lot of things.

I'd prefer larger (taller, jumbo) frets and a flatter radius and maybe a bit wider string spacing.

rockdeveloper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
The Axcess Custom (diamond headstock) is a bit expensive in Europe. I couldn't find ebony fretboard on the current models...I see only richlite fretboard? I'm not a Floyd Rose player (anymore), I'm into Stoptail model.
I prefer the "Custom" over "Standard" model look (diamond headstock, inlays, binding, gold hardware...), but I'm stuck between a Les Paul Custom Light 2016 Ebony and Les Paul Standard Axcess Gun Metal Grey.

I used the term "worth" because these 2 guitars share some identical features like rosewood fretboard, 498T/496R pickups...and some similar features like weight, body size and high note access...
The Custom Light is about 1400 euro cheaper compared to the Axcess Standard...

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
I think the 2 guitars have different neck pickups (490R in Lite vs 496R in Axcess). I imagine the 496 is hotter.

If you don't need the Floyd Rose, then the CL is a great bang for the buck. Keep in mind they have a different set of controls also. You could mod the CL to match the Axcess controls. Personally I added the 2nd tone control to my CL and had it setup with 50's style wiring with push/pull tone pots for the split. I really like it!

-Jay

rockdeveloper

Reaction score
Thanx Jay!
The 2016 CL model already has the 2nd tone control (no switch). The one thing that is "missing" is the push/pull split:)

afjungemann

Reaction score
Several of the differences have already been noted but also keep in mind, a Custom lite is a Nashville plant model and the axcess is a custom shop model. That doesn't mean necessarily one is better than the other but if it is from the custom shop, it will most likely cost more.

I know the model you are referring to in gun metal grey and I love the way it looks. I am not much of a floyd player either but that guitar alone makes me tempted to become one...

I would wait until you can put your hands on an axcess or find a place with a good return policy.

dspelman

Reaction score
Honestly, I've abandoned Gibson, leastways for the Axcess and similar guitars.

RondoMusic (dot com) has a semi-custom ordering setup for some of their Agile guitars.
I can get an ebony fretboard, real MOP or abalone inlays, jumbo *stainless* frets, a 14" radius fretboard, 24 frets, a wide neck (1 3/4", but with wider string spacing as well), an OFR, neck-through construction, an Axcess contour neck heel, a tummy cut, triple binding, full 3/4" maple cap, chambered upper body wing and decent AlnicoV pickups with coil taps, and that'll be about $1100 or so, shipped with case. I can also get the guitar in 25.5" scale, etc.

rockdeveloper

Reaction score
Great to hear that about the CL!
Btw, the GMG Axcess I mentioned is the stoptail version, not the Floyd Rose one, which is great for me, and is why I haven't decided yet between the two:)
I talked to the local stores, but none have (nor will have) the Axcess in stock, saying it's too risky, they're affraid of not selling it:(

dspelman

Reaction score
Great to hear that about the CL!
Btw, the GMG Axcess I mentioned is the stoptail version, not the Floyd Rose one, which is great for me, and is why I haven't decided yet between the two:)
I talked to the local stores, but none have (nor will have) the Axcess in stock, saying it's too risky, they're affraid of not selling it:(

Here in the US, some of the GC managers are saying they don't have the Axcess in stock because Gibson isn't willing to advance enough inventory credit to most GCs to allow them to stock it.

starscream

Reaction score
I've had a Custom Lite and now have an Axcess standard, and I really do like the Axcess better. But the prices of new Axcess Customs have gone pretty crazy. I got such a great deal on mine I couldn't pass it up, but without that deal, I would have been looking at eBay and Reverb for used Axcesses in excellent condition. Otherwise I don't think I would have been able to justify that price difference on the retail price of a new one.

nitrodave08

Reaction score
As a thought, have you looked into the ESLPs? Way cheaper than an Axcess?

nitrodave08-albums-nitrodave08-picture72894-dsc-0007.jpg

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I owned an Axcess Stop Tail since 2010. I've had a couple of Floyd's also over the years. I had a CL for a short time also.

JHMO, if you can deal with the cost for the Axcess, it is worth the extra cost.

As others have mentioned. I would look hard in the used market, vs new.

rockdeveloper

Reaction score
Finally I put my hand on the Axcess. After some intense googling I found what was probably the only Axcess available in store in Italy. The store was about 500 km from me, so I waited 'till the next show with my band in that area to stop by. Here it is with my other Gibsons.

gibs.JPG

Latest Threads