Les Paul Limited Edition help

dz335

Reaction score
New to Les Pauls but not to guitars. What is the deal with all of the limited edition Gibson Les Pauls? Are they really limited? are they better than the standard model thay are based on? and how can you find accurate info on their specs and production numbers? any help would be good.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Any one in particular?
They may have a few different features...like let's say a Standard with an ebony board.
Are they limited? Yes and no. Limited in the sense that Gibson will make a certain number of them. Not limited in the sense that 10 years later they won't be worth any more money that the next LP. There are so many Les Pauls now that only a handful of them will be worth a lot of money. Probably only a few of the artist models.

Production numbers...unless it's a Guitar of the Week or a Slash signature model where Gibson tells you up front there are (let's say) only 400 made, you won't find out any production figures because Gibson does not release that info.

Specs...either gibson.com or mylespaul.com :)

dz335

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply . I am lookin gat a friends LP standard limited edition 1999 I beleive that it is limited because it has a nice birdseye top everything else standard Heratage burst and chrome grovers ect. any opinion on a fair price?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
R9 is correct, Limited Edition might not mean much in terms of price/value. For example, I have 2 1990 LP Standards from the Limited Colours Edition series. They are limited in that they have unique colors and only 200 were made in each color. They are great guitars but do not demand much more in price than any other 1990 LP Standard. A birdseye top is more unusual than the flametops or plaintops, but any additional value is in the eye of the beholder. Many Gibsons over the years have shipped with grover tuners. I can say this, the 1990s LPs have some additional percieved value to some collectors/players. A 1999 has a weight relieved body unlike the new Standard which is chambered. Post some pictures and you will get some responses on people's opinion of what price is fair. Good luck.

Droog

Reaction score
I have an R8 limited edition in Mapleburst. # 72 of 75 made. It sounds great, but other than the finish and case candy, it's an R8 plain and simple, so I'm not expecting to have it worth significantly more down the line than another R8. But, for me it doesn't matter, it's a player, not an investment. :thumb:

axepilot

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Limited Edition Standard. Is it better than a straight Standard from the same year? No. What makes it "limited":

-Lessor production run

-Finishes exclusive to the LE's

-Ebony fret board (straight Standards are rosewood)

-Nickel "kidney bean" tuner buttons

-Reduced size, bound headstock

The rest of the guitar is the same as the straight Standards. They are no better or worse than the straight Standards - they just have a tad more eye candy.

lightpainter

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for information on a 2004 Les Paul Standard Limited Edition.

The guitar is finished in Trans Amber with a cream binding that goes around the body, neck, and headstock. Les Paul is embossed into the truss rod cover and there is a flower pot like inlay above that and below the Gibson inlay at the top of the headstock. The fretboard appears to be ebony.

On the back of the headstock the serial number is stamped/burned above the tuning pegs with Made in USA below that and then below that 117/275 in black.

From the research I’ve done so far, I believe that this is a 2004 Les Paul Standard Limited Edition. Is this true? I don’t see a listing anywhere for a Limited Edition in this color scheme. I’m assuming that this is the 117th guitar made of a Limited Edition of 275. If this is true, are the specs the same as the regular 2004 Les Paul Standards? Who were these made for? I’ve read that some of these Editions were made for some of the big retailers? Is this one of those? If so, is there any difference in the quality versus other LP Standards made at the same period?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Latest Threads