Les Paul Kit Upgrade

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I built a Les Paul from a Solo kit, and am looking to upgrade some components. First up, the the volume and tone pots in the kit seem to be 'all or nothing', and I'd also like to upgrade the pickups. My interests are rock/blues/country and some heavy rock. I don't want to 'overimprove', since it is a kit after all, but I was thinking about Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbuckers and some higher quality pots for starters.I'm a novice player, but looking to build my LP into something I can grow into. Opinions welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

ARandall

Reaction score
Hot rodded set is a JB in the bridge. Great for hair rock (I think RATT used the JB), old school metal (Megadeth), Alice in Chains, Tool and the like.

Not so great for rock/blues/country as they're 'all-on' for the most part.

If you want a nice crunchy Duncan set in the vintage type strength, the WLH set or the Saturday Night Specials will be a bit stronger than a pure vintage type pickup, but still do the light gain tones well.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its the linear pots that are better for even rolloff. As long as you get the taper, you can probably stick with Alpha pots.....you might need to look at the number of splines on the knob interface as there are 2 types of pot (coarse (fewer) spline and fine(more) splines.....and the cheaper end tends to be the latter. Pick the wrong one and you're replacing knobs too.

As a way of making it cheaper all over, GFS do some great vintage alnico pickups for not much money. They also do wiring looms. So you can get all you need from the one location as long as you can find suitable components that you like the look of.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. GF looks like the way to go, particularly for now, being a novice player I don't need $200 apiece pickups. Based on the description, the GFS Classic II Alnico Vintage Wound look like the ticket.

Also looking at their pot upgrade kit - I have a dumb question. Any rec on pots - 350k vs 500k?

Thanks again.

MATTM

Original MSSC Holy Grail Les Paul Wiring Harness
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. GF looks like the way to go, particularly for now, being a novice player I don't need $200 apiece pickups. Based on the description, the GFS Classic II Alnico Vintage Wound look like the ticket.

Also looking at their pot upgrade kit - I have a dumb question. Any rec on pots - 350k vs 500k?

Thanks again.
You'll want 500K volume and tone pots.

Latest Threads