Les Paul Junior Pickup Position Varies??

fisaras

Reaction score
Does the pickup position on Gibson/Epiphone Juniors vary??
I've been checking Juniors out lately and it seems to me that on some Juniors the pickup is closer to the bridge than others...
Here are 2 examples, both Gibson Les Paul Juniors. The pickup placement is different, isn't it? I'm not going crazy, am I?
If that's the case then which one is ''vintage correct''?

Attachments

endial

Reaction score
Yep.

Tailpiece angle changed a lot throughout the years (eons), too.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

fisaras

Reaction score
If I had to choose, I'd go for the one with more distance between bridge and pup. Thicker tone.
Interesting stuff!

I m thinking the same, seems like tone wise, that would be a bit more versatile (in theory)

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose, I'd go for the one with more distance between bridge and pup. Thicker tone.
I agree.... closer to the bridge can be a bit more feedback prone with high gain and overall bright.... remember a P90 is a powerful single coil.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Look at the position difference between my Special and my Junior. The Special sounds much thicker than the Jr. Of all my guitars, that Special is inherently darker to start with, can't pinpoint why.

bridge P90.jpg

On the Jr I moved the dog ear as much as I could without it showing too much. I'd say about 1/8" forward. Yes I has to drill for new holes and grind a bit of wood from the cavity, but it was worth it. It made that Jr more versatile.

Latest Threads