Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Vote.

image0(3).jpeg

Wailing

Reaction score
Thanks folks for your contributions… I did eventually decide to let my SG Junior pass into someone else’s hands… The Les Paul Single Cut just had the edge on grit… and although slightly heavier hangs more comfortably from a strap.. hope you are all enjoying your tone machines

Arf

Reaction score
Thanks folks for your contributions… I did eventually decide to let my SG Junior pass into someone else’s hands… The Les Paul Single Cut just had the edge on grit… and although slightly heavier hangs more comfortably from a strap.. hope you are all enjoying your tone machines
I absolutely love my SG Junior but still plan to get the LP as well. Never mind the pickup - those guitars have very different behaviors.

Wailing

Reaction score
Interestingly I had the same wiring and Bareknuckle Nantucket’s on both guitars.. As I said .. both had great tone.. but the single cut had the edge… for me

Ian111

Reaction score
SG Junior. All of the beauty of the upscale models without the frills.
This. The LP Junior has its own sound but it isn’t much to look at. SG’s are by design stripped down so whether its a Special or Junior they don’t necessarily look “cheaper” than the Standard model.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
This. The LP Junior has its own sound but it isn’t much to look at. SG’s are by design stripped down so whether its a Special or Junior they don’t necessarily look “cheaper” than the Standard model.
This is my dilemma right now. I like the look and feel (slimmer neck, lighter weight, upper fret access) of the SG Juniors but prefer the sound of the LP Junior. The two SG Juniors I’ve tried in person also had fit and finish issues and didn’t get me too excited. Both LP Jr’s I’ve played recently impressed the heck out of me in terms of sound and overall fit and finish.

As for looking cheaper, I will say, the new 2020 Les Paul Junior in ebony with the tortoiseshell pickguard looks quite classy to me. Add in some gold 50’s knobs and it would look even more upscale.

If only I had more space and funds…I’d love to get both. Doesn’t make it easier to hear the SG Juniors seem to be getting discontinued.
508-DC94-B-84-C1-417-E-9113-91-E680-F9-A469.webp

Last edited:

Ian111

Reaction score
Looks are important. But, tone trumps everything. Always. Go with what your ears tell you.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Looks are important. But, tone trumps everything. Always. Go with what your ears tell you.
I was so set on the LP Jr. but went back and tried another SG Jr. that really won me over. Gonna AB them tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll be a clear choice…otherwise I’ll want to bring both home. :p

Reactions: Arf

Arf

Reaction score
I was so set on the LP Jr. but went back and tried another SG Jr. that really won me over. Gonna AB them tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll be a clear choice…otherwise I’ll want to bring both home. :p
I'll get a Les Paul Jr. eventually, but I can say that my 2019 SG Jr. is probably the most "alive" and expressive guitar I have, maybe ever. And that's 50+ years of playing, gigging, buying, selling and horse-trading.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I'll get a Les Paul Jr. eventually, but I can say that my 2019 SG Jr. is probably the most "alive" and expressive guitar I have, maybe ever. And that's 50+ years of playing, gigging, buying, selling and horse-trading.
That is a true compliment! Def doesn’t make the choice easier for me haha.

When I went to try the SG Jr. another customer actually overheard me playing it snd stopped to ask me what gutiar I was playing. Apparently he owned a real vintage SG back in the 60’s during his youth, he said he didn’t like the newer stuff Gibson was making…but that 2019 SG Jr. I had really impressed him. He had a lot of fun with it.

Arf

Reaction score
That is a true compliment! Def doesn’t make the choice easier for me haha.

When I went to try the SG Jr. another customer actually overheard me playing it snd stopped to ask me what gutiar I was playing. Apparently he owned a real vintage SG back in the 60’s during his youth, he said he didn’t like the newer stuff Gibson was making…but that 2019 SG Jr. I had really impressed him. He had a lot of fun with it.
My first one was a white '64 that was a piece of junk. Dead as a door nail and wouldn't stay in tune. Year doesn't matter at all.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
My first one was a white '64 that was a piece of junk. Dead as a door nail and wouldn't stay in tune. Year doesn't matter at all.
Interesting, guess for those of us that weren’t there to play most of them, it’s just online talk about vintage mojo with old wood and stories to go by. Though I did play a real 1964 SG Jr. once at a local vintage dealer…I was quite underwhelmed, the 2019 played better but I figured it was just a set up issue. I do think the materials and woods and manufacturing methods differed quite a bit back then, but that doesn’t immediately translate to better, just different.

Arf

Reaction score
Interesting, guess for those of us that weren’t there to play most of them, it’s just online talk about vintage mojo with old wood and stories to go by. Though I did play a real 1964 SG Jr. once at a local vintage dealer…I was quite underwhelmed, the 2019 played better but I figured it was just a set up issue. I do think the materials and woods and manufacturing methods differed quite a bit back then, but that doesn’t immediately translate to better, just different.
There's a lot to be said for the "mojo" etc of older guitars, wood that's had music flowing through it for 60 years, a guitar built by the first guys and gals who ever built an SG, absolutely. It's just that a guitar shouldn't lose points simply for being new.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
There's a lot to be said for the "mojo" etc of older guitars, wood that's had music flowing through it for 60 years, a guitar built by the first guys and gals who ever built an SG, absolutely. It's just that a guitar shouldn't lose points simply for being new.
As a very satisfied owner of several 2020 original collection Gibson’s, I wholly agree. :cheers2: I haven’t had a single issue with any I’ve had and love my standard 60’s, it’s everything I could want in an LP right now.

The whole statement about not liking the newer guitars was more of the guy I was talking to rather than my own. Just wanted to mention that even someone like him who wasn’t a fan of Gibson currently was impressed with the new SG Jr. It’s possible he never even gave the new ones much of a chance until he played the one I had.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My choice was to order a DSG LP Jr. from the Lt.
NGD coming early ‘22.

Arf

Reaction score
As a very satisfied owner of several 2020 original collection Gibson’s, I wholly agree. :cheers2: I haven’t had a single issue with any I’ve had and love my standard 60’s, it’s everything I could want in an LP right now.

The whole statement about not liking the newer guitars was more of the guy I was talking to rather than my own. Just wanted to mention that even someone like him who wasn’t a fan of Gibson currently was impressed with the new SG Jr. It’s possible he never even gave the new ones much of a chance until he played the one I had.
Yes. Of course so

Not that anybody's actually right or wrong. I just think magic is where you find it. Guitars, or whatever.

1970Deluxe

Reaction score
Owner of a very nice 1958 Les Paul Jr. single-cut......the neck is just about perfect IMO....comfortable med/fat rounded profile .90" to .98". It's very light weight around 7 lbs. and rings like a bell. It has a beautiful dark BRW fingerboard w/ tight grain. The P-90 dog-ear pickup measures around 8.0 K-ohms and sounds fantastic! Quite possibly the perfect classic rock guitar.

Latest Threads