Les Paul Junior for 2018 hot or not ?

Dilver

Reaction score
If you mean the TP is leaning between the flanges of the TP studs, you need to get some vintage style studs, which will fit the thinner ears of a vintage style TP. You can get either brass or steel ones, but they will fit the TP tighter so it doesn't lean.
Al

Interesting. I'm not normally a top wrap guy on my other Les Pauls, so this has never been a problem. Now that you mention it, I did notice that the Montreux Time Machine 1 inch studs I have on my 336 fit my Pigtail tailpiece really snugly. I'll have to find some vintage spec tailpieces - any recommendations?

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I like it, it’s retro. Simple, basic and nostalgic. Throwback to the late 30s or 40s look but for a 50s jr. It’s interestingly very plain.

Gibson has a difficult time with customers because the customers, like most fans of something they revolve their lives around, get upset at anything “different “.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I don't care for the logo but I think the guitar looks awesome. I would like to own a JR someday.

Dilver

Reaction score
It really is a hot little number. Not sure if it’s a function of the “no bridge, just a wrap tail” or this particular guitar, but my Junior is super resonant (you can feel it through the neck and the body) and really loud even unplugged. And it sounds great through ALL of my amps. I’ve been playing this thing a lot.
86A26590-568C-47A6-984B-22A0D0695EF9.jpeg

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not normally a top wrap guy on my other Les Pauls, so this has never been a problem. Now that you mention it, I did notice that the Montreux Time Machine 1 inch studs I have on my 336 fit my Pigtail tailpiece really snugly. I'll have to find some vintage spec tailpieces - any recommendations?

I got a Gotoh lightweight aluminum wrap TP, and bought the RS steel studs. You can get the Gotoh wrap TP with studs included, but they are nickel-plated brass, I wanted the vintage steel type. The RS studs not only fit the TP tightly, but also fit very tightly in the bushings, had to wax the threads a bit to get them to screw in. Very tight tolerances all around.
Al

bad565ss

Reaction score
Got mine and here's my impressions.
I got this from ZZSounds sight unseen. I have purchased from them before so I was confident that there would be no issues.
Finish quality is good except mine had the rough looking Rosewood issue and a scuff in the clear on the
tip of the horn. It also appeared to have been re-strung as the strings were installed using wrap over the loop method ( I've never gotten a Gibson from the factory that way).
So I'm thinking they sent me a return or demo :squint:.
I was going to send it back but I thought I'd better play it some first.
It took all of 5 minutes to polish the scuff out with some Meguire's polish.
It played beautifully although the action was pretty high. I'm getting sucked in now.
I decided to take a look at the fingerboard finish situation.
It had the lumpy sort of torn appearance we've all seen in photos ( if not on our own guitars ).
I decided to see how bad this really was. I started to work an area in the first fret position with a small piece of 120 grit across the grain. It smoothed right out with very little effort. Off come the strings.
1/2 hour later the neck is beautiful. A light oiling, new strings and tailpiece setup to nice low action and this thing is pretty damned good! I still need to make a slight neck adjustment to get it perfect but it's
pretty good.
I know many people would have just sent it back but I figured if it played and sounded good it could stay. One should not have to do the cosmetic repairs like I did on a "new" Gibson product. Assuming it was actually new. I wonder if a phone call is in order?
As it stands I'm very pleased with the guitar now. It sounds great, plays great, looks great, and I can't wait to get it out onstage!

endial

Reaction score
"...a small piece of 120 grit across the grain..." :eek::Ohno::wow:!!!!

I almost swallowed a cigarette.

Edit: Glad you're keeping it though, and that it's doing its' job as advertised. I'm a furniture maker and repair man, so I freak out about sandpaper grits and crap like that.
Rock on!

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I never got into any of the single pickup models, particularly the ones with the pickup at the bridge.
Just not enough tonal variations. When they introduce a Special with P90s, I'll take a closer look.

bad565ss

Reaction score
"...a small piece of 120 grit across the grain..." :eek::Ohno::wow:!!!!

I almost swallowed a cigarette.

Edit: Glad you're keeping it though, and that it's doing its' job as advertised. I'm a furniture maker and repair man, so I freak out about sandpaper grits and crap like that.
Rock on!
It actually looks real good. I'll put up some photos in a NGD thread in a couple of days.
Have a short bit of out of town business to attend to first.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
It also appeared to have been re-strung as the strings were installed using wrap over the loop method ( I've never gotten a Gibson from the factory that way).
So I'm thinking they sent me a return or demo :squint:.

you got a pic? They do call it a wraparound for a reason, unless someone really did something weird.

Dilver

Reaction score
I never got into any of the single pickup models, particularly the ones with the pickup at the bridge.
Just not enough tonal variations. When they introduce a Special with P90s, I'll take a closer look.

That's what I always thought and I don't think I could play a one pickup guitar exclusively. But a good dogear P-90 actually has quite a lot of tonal variety and the low end growl of a P-90 makes it way more versatile than something like an Esquire.

endial

Reaction score
you got a pic? They do call it a wraparound for a reason, unless someone really did something weird.

I'm thinking he meant "wrap over the loop" at the tuners, not the tailpiece.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
I don't get all the shock about the price. In '59 Junior's were listed priced at $132. From the different inflation calculator's I've used, it's basically about 9x going from 1958 to 2018. That put's an 50's Junior somewhere in the area of $1,188 today. Pretty much right on point

Dilver

Reaction score
I don't get all the shock about the price. In '59 Junior's were listed priced at $132. From the different inflation calculator's I've used, it's basically about 9x going from 1958 to 2018. That put's an 50's Junior somewhere in the area of $1,188 today. Pretty much right on point

People get a figure in their head of what something should cost and it kind a stays there. I still think a Les Paul Studio should cost around 800.00 because I'm old enough to remember that's what they cost when they first came out. :eek:

wmachine

Reaction score

You mean this?

Ffm3DGIOuVu4H6GzSfkdDcQ2I8CS2klsl6JaDZ0Yev4ldStSxeAjDdm75QuLoW-ksottSzl4FlYrXuRJcpRG2piPIjUZkS_ytU2uQmuvkXyzj-TmRmikv0arzML3oNV647LHJkV9mntHCHlU6oBioS1xaK5qgorG6NFxj-4TB_Y5upVGoElZrTLr6wm1JWYwOUZfKFowFIY7xieBCFlvwBPUojFIF8pSi_WfwjTQiZWYQLZUY3Li8jKRcpvfrIs3qGatMSx0UeQRw4euqowfqbY7Xm6aYYvpzV3civZtW2af9cwIe-qGrlBiYYqHccjrm6V0QRwdH4-lAasNcWrT_qqVwTc6vSfIKpeO6vtFaMRiNnom7JCyBUcn1s0tGTny_kKQS2JpKW2n6J85tOTvnJqXMUeiMthpDPIbluMoBQ-K76UBxRo29pKIeiSBToUV7NremSzv78OchMFv5cu5wxwdatpDuDFP4af2Lb26eme6Z5roRFe94ivcS4fwELuhmF9n_Ifi-VCaI_HEjDyid2S8yCoIpACv6-pa07_CTjfWC_zXZL84EtXn-BCDV2rU4N6_Ba2Ng2POP_qMV9PowSQAJX-JuVHSGUzNP0W2kUKHaQwhQSGFhIDVRG_FH7CSxFNpQl3jextutC5sjSNdtkVuQWwVUxJV=w431-h766-no

One has to spend some time with the Junior to coax the tone variations out of it. The volume control is essentially another tone control. My Special would be gone long before my Junior.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score

its not so much the inflation, its relative to other products. Some of the new tributes can be had for 8xx, 9xx or10xx with the new soft case, which is almost worth the same as a hard case. And they have arched maple tops, two pickups, etc....

To the consumer's perspective, I'm going to pay more, for a one pickup slab body guitar? I want a junior probably more than the next guy, but I'm not going to pay 1/3 more for technically 1/2 of a guitar.

Astro Ghast

Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread now, but I recently picked up one of these Juniors. It's extremely resonant and loud unplugged. I love the way it plays and how it sounds.

I've owned Juniors before and this one was perfectly spot on for me, spec wise and otherwise. I was considering a custom shop reissue but this one had everything I was looking for in a Junior that my previous models didn't have. The ledge, fat neck, etc.

I got mine for under $900, brand new. I really couldn't be happier with it.

Only gripe, and not a big deal at all, is the pcb board. Some upgrades I have planned; Moxoaxe compensated tailpiece, Creamtone absolute vintage wiring harness, and a Sanford Magnetics 9077 P90.

Only thing I haven't figured out yet are the studs, so if anyone has any suggestions. Looking for steel studs that'll eliminate tilt. Also, is it worthwhile changing the bushings or not? Any idea on their length?

endial

Reaction score
Excellent.

Naw man, we can keep this thread alive until I get ME one because this is where I'll post it first!

I think you'll enjoy the Sanford Magnetics' 9077. It's what's in my 2007 Junior now.

Where did you find it for $900 if it's not too presumptive to ask. Asking for a friend. ;)

Latest Threads